Beane wants Allen’s contract done sooner than later.

MAJBobby

9 hours ago, Freddie's Dead said:

Time is money.  McBeane takes mo' time, Josh gets mo' money.  The price tag will only increase.  GIT 'R' DUN!!!!

Yes...and particularly once the new salary cap kicks in.  Now is the perfect time to sign him...under the current cap.  Then his contract will be more affordable once that new cap kicks in....and when teams can afford more, QB salaries will skyrocket.

9 hours ago, BringBackFergy said:

Not sure why there’s a rush. Let’s see how Trubisky does before taking on an albatross contract. Beane might be posturing. 

Surely you can't be serious

9 hours ago, BringBackFergy said:

Very interesting comparison. Similarly, why pay a Bojo type QB over 10 years when you can sign a Haack type QB for $2 million per over 10 yrs. With a higher cap, we can sign better players to surround Trubes (like Gronk, Ju Ju and Adrian Pederson)

please stop

9 hours ago, Freddie's Dead said:

Time is money.  McBeane takes mo' time, Josh gets mo' money.  The price tag will only increase.  GIT 'R' DUN!!!!

Could be why it's taking some time. Allen's agent could be thinking same  thing

Let’s we if the recent wave of we love to play there and will take less money to do it. Will play for candy turning 8 teams down, etc etc extends to Allen’s Contract. 

Eyes on you Josh. You could always do the Brady thing and take less than Market giving more assets to build around you. 

I wonder what kind of contract they will work out. Will it be a 10 year deal like Mahomes or a shorter deal like 5 years? Josh hasn't won a Super Bowl yet. if he signs a 5 year deal and then wins a Super Bowl within that time then he can ask for the moon in his next contract. He will still be young enough to sign a 10 year contract at that time as he would still be in his prime.

Just now, MAJBobby said:

Let’s we if the recent wave of we love to play there and will take less money to do it. Will play for candy turning 8 teams down, etc etc extends to Allen’s Contract. 

Eyes on you Josh. You could always do the Brady thing and take less than Market giving more assets to build around you. 

The cap will increase the next couple of years. There will be plenty of cap space to build around Allen

Just now, Greg S said:

I wonder what kind of contract they will work out. Will it be a 10 year deal like Mahomes or a shorter deal like 5 years? Josh hasn't won a Super Bowl yet. if he signs a 5 year deal and then wins a Super Bowl within that time then he can ask for the moon in his next contract. He will still be young enough to sign a 10 year contract at that time as he would still be in his prime.

It will probably be announced as a 10 year but the usual team or player options after 3-4 seasons

4 minutes ago, nucci said:

The cap will increase the next couple of years. There will be plenty of cap space to build around Allen

It will probably be announced as a 10 year but the usual team or player options after 3-4 seasons

never worried about cap space. It can always be manipulated and worked to fit who you want. 

I am just going to be watching will Allen like a good number of his teammates have recently take less than Market Value. 

8 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

never worried about cap space. It can always be manipulated and worked to fit who you want. 

I am just going to be watching will Allen like a good number of his teammates have recently take less than Market Value. 

I agree but some of those players may not have gotten bigger offers in free agency so saying they took less to stay may not be completely true.

3 minutes ago, nucci said:

I agree but some of those players may not have gotten bigger offers in free agency so saying they took less to stay may not be completely true.

Maybe But Williams would have by all accounts, Milano may have (I don’t think he would have but may have). McKenzie would have turned 8 teams down.  Feliciano may have and was on record not wanting to play elsewhere so logical to think left money on table. 

then the Pays cuts from Morse (his center) Addison. It will be interesting to see if Allen Does. 

32M per year still sets family for generations and leaves good money on table for good players. 

• Agree 1

6 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

Maybe But Williams would have by all accounts, Milano may have (I don’t think he would have but may have). McKenzie would have turned 8 teams down.  Feliciano may have and was on record not wanting to play elsewhere so logical to think left money on table. 

then the Pays cuts from Morse (his center) Addison. It will be interesting to see if Allen Does. 

32M per year still sets family for generations and leaves good money on table for good players. 

I think it'll work out ok

• Hapless Bills Fan changed the title to Beane wants Allen’s contract done sooner than later.
2 hours ago, MAJBobby said:

Didn't he already say he would do just that....the home town discount and that he wanted to retire as a Bill?

I'm thinking it would be nice to have another season to be sure, but Josh played so well that I'm anxious to see a deal done to keep him in Buffalo until he retires. I wonder if signing him earlier would save us cap space going forward. My guess is that he will quickly sign a deal at a fair price. Buffalo loves JA and I think the feeling is mutual.

There is one more housekeeping task needed before the new contract extension is signed.

Next month the Bills will pick up Josh Allen's 5th year option just like KC did with Mahomes.

The extension will be signed before the preseason starts and will begin with the 2023 season.

Allen's salary is $23,016,000 for the 2022 season.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/option/

Edited by ColoradoBills

On 3/25/2021 at 9:31 PM, jimmy10 said:

One thing I think we can credit Beane with: Dude is a planner. 

Beane is Omni aware of his total job responsibilities, and it shows, it’s really nice having bonafide GM calling the shots.

It was only a few years back when it we had a string of jags doing that job, and sadly that showed as well, for two decades...

On 3/25/2021 at 10:12 PM, BringBackFergy said:

Not sure why there’s a rush. Let’s see how Trubisky does before taking on an albatross contract. Beane might be posturing. 

Lay off the ganja Ferg... 😁

Edited by Don Otreply

On 3/26/2021 at 12:16 PM, MAJBobby said:

But there are likely two main reasons why they want to stay - Allen and the team 'culture'.

Now that there's a rookie cap, players aren't going to be too keen on giving 'discounts' to their first earned contract - no matter who they are.

Allen needs to be paid pretty much market value, simply because he's one of the best young QBs out there, with the potential to be the best, full stop.

Now, where he will probably help the Bills out, is by not getting too hung up on getting every last cent out of them, and also in how the deal is structured, both now and in the future.

On 3/26/2021 at 5:00 AM, MAJBobby said:

I hope that Russell Wilson serves as a warning sign to a lot of quarterbacks. He wanted to be the highest paid quarterback in the league, and he was given that contract by the Seahawks. Now, he wants them to sign better offensive lineman to protect him, but they don’t have the money because they’ve tied up so much in him and a few key players to keep him happy. You can’t have it all. Mahomes is, thus far, an anomaly. But, his team has done a great job drafting offensive talent and has 75% of their cap wrapped up in 8 players. QB’s have to look at the full spectrum and not just what one QB is working with.

• Like (+1) 1