Jayson Oweh DE PSU my first round TGT.

MAJBobby

49 minutes ago, JimBob2232 said:

I addressed this once, but reposting again

sure.  It’s the potential word.  He is a physical freak of nature. That’s what attracted penn state to him. In his 3 years at penn state he has not been a difference maker. In fact last season he declined in his performance and had ZERO sacks. 

sure he is an athletic freak.  Sure he has a high ceiling.  But he is also a 90% bust potential to me. He hasn’t shown any ability to develop that raw talent into on field production.  If he couldn’t do it at penn state in a college environment that has recently done extraordinarily well in developing talent - I highly doubt he is going to do that in on an NFL team who wants instant gratification and validation of their selection. 

i hope im wrong (especially if we do pick him).  And I wish him the best.  I just would be terrified of the “potential” word with him.  

im all in on parsons and friermuth. But not this kid.  Sorry. 

New add:  I saw a post on the PSU forum which i thought was pretty appropriate - as you can imagine this topic on Oweh comes up a lot.  Really 3 points of view.  the PSU homers who are overly optimistic all want him to go in the first round - the higher the better for the program.  Secondly, most think he will go late 1st/early 2nd, But 3rd, if they put their Fantasy GM hat on, most wouldnt touch him until late 2nd/early 3rd due to his "potential". Thats where you can start taking the boom/bust picks IMO.

Thank you for repeating for me, I appreciate it. I always like to hear the opinion of fans who watch a player throughout their college career. Whenever we draft someone, I always call any friends I have who watch their team regularly, to find out what they think. 

Edited by buffaloboyinATL
  • Like (+1) 1

If Paye or Ojulari fall to us, I'd grab them over Oweh, no question.  Watch the tape... Ojulari is twitchy, has inside and outside pass rush moves, anticipates plays and hits like a truck.  He's put waaaay more on tape than Oweh.  Same with Paye.  He's a football player and much less risk than Oweh.

5 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

That works both ways though.   

With a team that is perceived as a SB contender you can't just assume that a guy who put up 1 sack on the season will improve dramatically or be good as your primary RDE.

He also had a couple head injuries last season so basic availability has to be taken into consideration.

When your production is terrible at a key position like that.......it rightfully should be a priority.

Absolutely agree with the need for an impact pass rusher. I think DE/EDGE is one of the top 2 priorities with the second being DT. I will be sorely disappointed if we walk out of Rd 3 without a DE. 

As for Epenesa, my point was that it is too early to say that he will be no more than an average contributor. We all hope we get Game 1 impact players in rd 1 and 2 but it is not very common. Hence, give the kid another season and lets see if he can improve from his underwhelming rookie season.  

Edited by Fan in Chicago

11 minutes ago, Fan in Chicago said:

Absolutely not denying anything you wrote. I think DE/EDGE is one of the top 2 priorities with the second being DT. I will be sorely disappointed if we walk out of Rd 3 without a DE. 

As for Epenesa, my point was that it is too early to say that he will be no more than an average contributor. We all hope we get Game 1 impact players in rd 1 and 2 but it is not very common. Hence, give the kid another season and lets see if he can improve from his underwhelming rookie season.  

Agree but even if Epenesa turns into a great player he's still just a rotation player in this system.    The other guy(s) gotta' be good too.   Whatever we assume Epenesa will be doesn't really lessen the need there.   It's a long term and short term concern.  Addison and Hughes are very old,  Bam Johnson hasn't produced yet and Obada had almost all of his success rushing from a DT position.    

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

On 4/17/2021 at 4:46 PM, Kmart128 said:

I wouldnt exactly call Spiller and Whitner blunders.... they were still productive for us. Overreaches yes... in Maybin's caregory as a blunder yes. And TJ Graham was a 3rd round pick whichbis far from a sure thing....

LOL the problem with Graham in the 3rd was that some of us were screaming at the screen since the pick before to draft Russ Wilson

10 hours ago, All I Need is Hope said:

If Paye or Ojulari fall to us, I'd grab them over Oweh, no question.  Watch the tape... Ojulari is twitchy, has inside and outside pass rush moves, anticipates plays and hits like a truck.  He's put waaaay more on tape than Oweh.  Same with Paye.  He's a football player and much less risk than Oweh.

I agree just watch the tape.  Not saying we should draft Paye or Ojulari but compared to Oweh is a big difference for me, now if I got to interview each one and talk to coaches about scheme and how they were used I could change or add on to my current opinion but outside that its pretty clear cut.

I actually like how Ojulari looked with his hand on the ground for the little he was asked to do it, he looked comfortable and had a good first step and it almost looked like olinemen underestimated how fast he would be in stance versus standing

58 minutes ago, just1hugheser said:

I actually like how Ojulari looked with his hand on the ground for the little he was asked to do it, he looked comfortable and had a good first step and it almost looked like olinemen underestimated how fast he would be in stance versus standing

Meh. I do not like how he looks hand on the ground and against bigger tackles - the 'Bama guys for example, who will actually play in the league - he just got stonewalled down after down. He has twitch, no doubt. His first step is the best in the class. But he is undersized and doesn't really have a frame to easily carry extra weight and his hand usage is sub par at this stage. 3-4 OLB only for me. Don't even see the long term potential for him as down lineman in a 4-3. Think teams would run right at him.

• Thank you (+1) 1

I think Oweh should have stayed in another year, transferred if not satisfied with his development at PSU.

With so little on tape I question his motivation for the game as well as his intelligence for the game.  

He started football his junior year of HS and never blossomed after 3 years (albeit a shortened 3rd).  

That should be enough time to shine for a passionate, motivated DE, it's not overly-complicated from a schematic viewpoint.  Not saying all-world shine, just some consistent "whoa" plays like Allen showed, commensurate with his raw abilities.  Meh.  I'm sure Bills will kick the tires and figure him out in the interview.  3rd round for me.

I feel like the Bills put less emphasis on combine/pro day results and more emphasis on the tape. Oweh is an absolute freak but I’d be shocked if he’s our guy in round 1. I have seen him mocked higher than our pick so maybe he won’t even be there, I think that would be good news if he’s already gone, let our guys fall to us.

• Thank you (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, GaryPinC said:

I think Oweh should have stayed in another year, transferred if not satisfied with his development at PSU.

With so little on tape I question his motivation for the game as well as his intelligence for the game.  

He started football his junior year of HS and never blossomed after 3 years (albeit a shortened 3rd).  

That should be enough time to shine for a passionate, motivated DE, it's not overly-complicated from a schematic viewpoint.  Not saying all-world shine, just some consistent "whoa" plays like Allen showed, commensurate with his raw abilities.  Meh.  I'm sure Bills will kick the tires and figure him out in the interview.  3rd round for me.

Oweh might be very passionate and motivated.  But if he lacks the instincts to play, it doesn't matter.

On 4/19/2021 at 3:10 AM, just1hugheser said:

LOL the problem with Graham in the 3rd was that some of us were screaming at the screen since the pick before to draft Russ Wilson

Ehhh 2nd WR was a way bigger need at the time... we had no one opposite of Stevie Johnson. Donald Jones was our #2WR... i think we were all hoping for a speedster WR at the time. We drafted the wrong one. Should have went TY Hilton.

• Disagree 1

37 minutes ago, Kmart128 said:

Ehhh 2nd WR was a way bigger need at the time... we had no one opposite of Stevie Johnson. Donald Jones was our #2WR... i think we were all hoping for a speedster WR at the time. We drafted the wrong one. Should have went TY Hilton.

You think #2 receiver was a bigger need than Quarterback?

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Kmart128 said:

Our quarterback was ryan fitzpatrick. The top need was ALWAYS qb for close to two decades.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

The Bills signed Fitz to a large extension 1/3 of the way into the 2011 season. They weren’t going to draft a QB high (in 2012) and because of Wilson’s size wanted to wait until the 4th round. I can understand their thinking but it obviously was a mistake. 

• Agree 1

15 hours ago, CapeBreton said:

I feel like the Bills put less emphasis on combine/pro day results and more emphasis on the tape. Oweh is an absolute freak but I’d be shocked if he’s our guy in round 1. I have seen him mocked higher than our pick so maybe he won’t even be there, I think that would be good news if he’s already gone, let our guys fall to us.

I think the Bills consider both tape and athleticism/upside.  They took both Allen and Tremaine Edmunds who had great physical tools and upside, but (especially Allen) hadn’t really shown consistent top production on the field.  On the flip side, the drafted AJ Epenesa who what’s highly productive in college, but doesn’t have the outstanding quickness and speed that people are looking for in pass rusher.  What I do think those 3 have in common is want-to and work ethic to succeed.

15 hours ago, Doc said:

Oweh might be very passionate and motivated.  But if he lacks the instincts to play, it doesn't matter.

I love Jerry Hughes but I'd argue he doesn't have very good instincts.  So many times I watch him pushing to get to the quarterback and the ball goes right by him (sometimes WITH the quarterback).  Passion and commitment can count for something, especially at a less complicated position like DE.

5 hours ago, GaryPinC said:

I love Jerry Hughes but I'd argue he doesn't have very good instincts.  So many times I watch him pushing to get to the quarterback and the ball goes right by him (sometimes WITH the quarterback).  Passion and commitment can count for something, especially at a less complicated position like DE.

Anything is possible.  But I wouldn't use a 1st rounder on a guy like Oweh.

• Agree 1