Jayson Oweh DE PSU my first round TGT.

MAJBobby

10 hours ago, whatdrought said:

Ugh. Now I’m down that anger rabbit hole. Maybin over Orakpo is still the worst drought era draft decision to me. It was never even defendable because everyone knew Orakpo was a better prospect. 

I have to say Troup over Gronk is much worse

• Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

10 hours ago, NewEra said:

Homer should input more than no.

care to expand?

sure.  It’s the potential word.  He is a physical freak of nature. That’s what attracted penn state to him. In his 3 years at penn state he has not been a difference maker.  In fact last season he declined in his performance and had ZERO sacks. 

sure he is an athletic freak.  Sure he has a high ceiling.  But he is also a 90% bust potential to me. He hasn’t shown any ability to develop that raw talent into on field production.  If he couldn’t do it at penn state in a college environment that has recently done extraordinarily well in developing talent - I highly doubt he is going to do that in on an NFL team who wants instant gratification and validation of their selection. 

i hope im wrong (especially if we do pick him).  And I wish him the best.  I just would be terrified of the “potential” word with him.  

im all in on parsons and friermuth. But not this kid.  Sorry. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

Size isn’t everything. I’ve been a gym rat most of my life and I’ve seen dudes that are 5’9 at best and are able to move absurd amounts of weight, more so than people that are 6’5-6’6.  I mean, look at Aaron Donald.. Dude is what? 6’2 285? and he is freakishly strong.. Way stronger than men who are 40-50lbs heavier and 4-5 inches taller. I don’t get too caught up in numbers, but it is concerning that Oweh has all these physical gifts yet he still didn’t produce. I think football is a lot about leverage and technique, that’s key IMO. Great leverage will often beat out someone who is quite a bit stronger. Not saying that numbers are useless, but it should be used to corroborate what you see on tape, not the other way around.

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, MAJBobby said:

Has anyone been able to find the 10 yard split. I have been looking and cannot find it. Would really be interested in that number. 

20 games young at Football. Was a Basketball player. 

Considering only been playing football 2 years we expect a fully honed Football Player?  And then Opted out this year. 

https://relativeathleticscores.com/ras-information/?PlayerID=18983

10 yard split was 1.59 which is elite.

2 hours ago, CSBill said:

He would be a swing for the fences for any team at the end of the draft. If you hit it, you could have a future superstar. Or, you miss, and go on to the next pitch. The questions is, is there enough there to take the risk. His production is low, but the measurements are impressive. That's why we're even having this conversation. But is it enough?

I do think the Bills are a team that could afford the gamble.

He doesnt need to play every down.  Jerry Hughes had to grow into the position as well.  De is a position Buffalo is lacking a freak.  Hughes is that but he is 30 something.  Another De retired once.  At 30 for DE its not going to be a slam dunk if so hes top 5.  I wouldnt hate the pick.  Buffalo has solid guys throughout the roster.  In rd 1 get freak shows.  He would be that if available.

Edited by Mat68
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, JimBob2232 said:

sure.  It’s the potential word.  He is a physical freak of nature. That’s what attracted penn state to him. In his 3 years at penn state he has not been a difference maker.  In fact last season he declined in his performance and had ZERO sacks. 

sure he is an athletic freak.  Sure he has a high ceiling.  But he is also a 90% bust potential to me. He hasn’t shown any ability to develop that raw talent into on field production.  If he couldn’t do it at penn state in a college environment that has recently done extraordinarily well in developing talent - I highly doubt he is going to do that in on an NFL team who wants instant gratification and validation of their selection. 

i hope im wrong (especially if we do pick him).  And I wish him the best.  I just would be terrified of the “potential” word with him.  

im all in on parsons and friermuth. But not this kid.  Sorry. 

Don’t be sorry.  Thanks for your input.  I’ve only seen highlights.....and there’s not many.  I’m assuming the non highlight tape is much longer. 

I love the measurables.  That’s all so far.  

i’d love to trade up for Parsons if he slips. I think he’s the best front 7 player in the draft  by a wide margin.  

freiermuth in rd 2 would be nice, but I don’t think he gets there. If he’s the pick at 30 I wouldn’t be very happy.  He’s fill a hole and is the perfect compliment to knox imo, but his lack of separation in college is scary to me.  I guess when you have his stature, you don’t need separation, you just body up and snag the ball.   I think he’ll be a Kyle Rudolph type if everything works in his favor 

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Victory Formation said:

Size isn’t everything. I’ve been a gym rat most of my life and I’ve seen dudes that are 5’9 at best and are able to move absurd amounts of weight, more so than people that are 6’5-6’6.  I mean, look at Aaron Donald.. Dude is what? 6’2 285? and he is freakishly strong.. Way stronger than men who are 40-50lbs heavier and 4-5 inches taller. I don’t get too caught up in numbers, but it is concerning that Oweh has all these physical gifts yet he still didn’t produce. I think football is a lot about leverage and technique, that’s key IMO. Great leverage will often beat out someone who is quite a bit stronger. Not saying that numbers are useless, but it should be used to corroborate what you see on tape, not the other way around.

ABSOLUTELY 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Don’t be sorry.  Thanks for your input.  I’ve only seen highlights.....and there’s not many.  I’m assuming the non highlight tape is much longer. 

I love the measurables.  That’s all so far.  

i’d love to trade up for Parsons if he slips. I think he’s the best front 7 player in the draft  by a wide margin.  

freiermuth in rd 2 would be nice, but I don’t think he gets there. If he’s the pick at 30 I wouldn’t be very happy.  He’s fill a hole and is the perfect compliment to knox imo, but his lack of separation in college is scary to me.  I guess when you have his stature, you don’t need separation, you just body up and snag the ball.   I think he’ll be a Kyle Rudolph type if everything works in his favor 

Agreed.  I was super high on Gesicki coming out (full disclosure I was also fairly high on Hackenberg too but understood the risks there).  I like friermuth - but not as much as I liked Gesicki.  The “baby gronk” nickname isn’t really fair to him. I can’t see him being THAT good.  But still think he would be a welcome addition here - even at 30. 

my hope is people read WAY too much into parsons character issues and he slips enough for us to go up and get him.  But...I wouldn’t give up a ton to move up either.   

• Awesome! (+1) 1

Will some of you kindly stop reminding me of our many past draft blunders. McCargo! Troup! Maybin! Whitner! Ko Simpson!, etc.  I was having a nice morning and now I am a little nauseous.

Edited by Mojo44
Typo

• 3 weeks later...
5 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Cover1 posted a bunch of Oweh clips today:

https://twitter.com/i/events/1383095364287401987?s=09

I know he is raw but he looks like a force to be reckoned with, it's just going to take some patience with him. I would be happy with him as the pick at #30.

Looks like Freeney in those clips, might not get past Baltimore.

On 3/25/2021 at 8:58 PM, ScottLaw said:

There were quite a few of those draft blunders. Whitner, TJ Graham, Spiller, Maybin. Just awful. 

You guys gotta stop reminding us that those things happened so regularly, my involuntary twitch is gonna come back..., 

On 3/26/2021 at 7:50 AM, BeastMode54 said:

I have to say Troup over Gronk is much worse

Arrrgh! Please stop... 😂

On 3/25/2021 at 8:40 PM, MAJBobby said:

reason:

best pure Athlete in the Draft IMO. Size Speed off the charts. He will be at 30 because of the limited games (20). Former Basketball player but very raw in football. Can be perfect for a team that can bring him along slowly and I think the Bills can afford that. If he had more games he would not make it out of the top 10. 

they did it with QB and MLB. Now Beane goes the same model at the DE of the future. I have him graded as the 35th best player in the draft. 

will have to add maybe 10 pounds as a 4-3 DE but has the frame to do that. Rookie season a spot rusher while learning. Ceiling it super high and if developed properly I think by year 3 people will put him in the elite DE talk. 

i really just wish he didn’t run this 40 though as now may go earlier than I was hoping. Before this 40 he was going to be there at 30. Now I am sure there are teams thinking the same let’s take him at 22 and see what we can develop with that natural god given talent. 

The Penn state and Maybin narrative aside...are you not in the least bit concerned that for a guy who's supposed to help out a pass rush he produced a whopping ZERO sacks last year? 

58 minutes ago, DJB said:

The Penn state and Maybin narrative aside...are you not in the least bit concerned that for a guy who's supposed to help out a pass rush he produced a whopping ZERO sacks last year? 

But the real scary thing is most of the guys he lined up against will be bagging groceries ;)

Now he has to go up against men....real strong and angry men :)

That other guy from Texas in the mock would be good.

Edited by JMF2006
  • Agree 1