Free Agency next year is going to be crazy

Rubes

So many players signing one-year deals this year...the free agent market is going to be absolutely flooded next year, with a lot of quality players and with the cap likely soaring upward. Going to be a lot of insane contracts given out and a lot of players moving around again.

Hopefully we can keep attracting players to stick around in Buffalo like we did this year.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 3

I believe the change to the cap is going to be more measured. From what I’ve read, it will jump up to $200m next year...not even where it was last year. 

With that being said, I suspect you’re right that it will be crazier than normal...certainly more so than this year. 

• Like (+1) 2

26 minutes ago, Rubes said:

So many players signing one-year deals this year...the free agent market is going to be absolutely flooded next year, with a lot of quality players and with the cap likely soaring upward. Going to be a lot of insane contracts given out and a lot of players moving around again.

Hopefully we can keep attracting players to stick around in Buffalo like we did this year.

The revenue loss from 2020 was divided between this year's cap and next.  Otherwise every team in the NFL would have been forced to gut their roster like the Saints did, and everyone would have been in deep trouble paying existing contracts.  So even if fan attendance gets back to normal this upcoming season, the cap isn't going to jump up crazy in 2022.

Assuming the NFL can get back to pre-COVID attendance levels, the big cap increase is going to happen in 2023.

• Like (+1) 1

I think it will be similar. There will essentially be double the free agents, but not double the money to spend. I think it will take a couple years for the free agency pool to find equilibrium.

• Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, Rubes said:

Why do you think the CAP will soar?  Serious question.

Quick math tells us there is a very good chance the CAP is lower than it was last year.

If we assume everything opens back up and they can have 100% fans - the Cap should rise to approximately what was expected this year (prior to COVID) ~210 million per team.  The salary cap for this year after COVID would have been 150-155 million, but the owners agreed to 182million - meaning they have 30 million in over revenue spending for this year.

The owners wanted that back ASAP - so the original agreement was it would be removed from the next 2 years CAP.  So if we think it is even split then lop 15 million off  the 210 and you are down to 195 (or last years numbers).  There is nothing saying it has to be even and the owners may want more faster as they are the ones out money - so they could do 20 and 10 or even all 30 if they want - basically keeping the CAP flat with this year.

Additionally - the NFL plans to add week 17, but it comes at a cost of potentially 2 preseason games.  The preseason games are nearly 100% revenue as the players are not paid at their regular season rate, but season ticket prices and parking and food are all at regular season pricing - making that all revenue.

That is all assuming there is nothing that limits some or all stadium capacity that could limit revenue.

1 hour ago, Rubes said:

1 hour ago, TroutDog said:

I believe the change to the cap is going to be more measured. From what I’ve read, it will jump up to $200m next year...not even where it was last year. 

With that being said, I suspect you’re right that it will be crazier than normal...certainly more so than this year. 

I just made a similar post in another thread.  There's still very little idea how many people will be  in the stands this year, will they get revenue from pre-season game so can't see a huge predicted hike.  Like this year, may be higher than projected, but not crazy high either.

• Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, TroutDog said:

Trout, I’ve read the same the projection was going to be around $203, but the next year it will catch up like there was no pandemic to $225 mil.

The OP is right, there will be upwards of 250 one year deals this year.  A ton of people will be out there next year and we might have a little more to spend next year.

• Like (+1) 1

salary Cap still needs to pay back 27.5M that is borrowed from future years to at least get it to the 182.5M this year. 

this years cap should be 155M. So they still have to pay that back either next year or year after. 

11 hours ago, eSJayDee said:

Actually, the Law of Supply & Demand would dictate that w/ so many FAs out there, prices should be kept down.  Prices go up when there's many bidders & minimal supply.

Except all the perceived “good ones” will get paid. They always do. Then the second wave and such could be even more reasonable contracts because of the supply of good players. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, machine gun kelly said:

The OP is right, there will be upwards of 250 one year deals this year.  A ton of people will be out there next year and we might have a little more to spend next year.

The biggest problem that I see - is that if the Cap after the adjustment is in the 190-195 million range - with the restructures from this year - we are already in worse CAP shape for next year - before signing Edmunds and Allen to their 5th year options or extensions.

We have fewer people under contract at a higher base cost, which is why Beane is working hard not to push to much into next year.

Edited by Rochesterfan
  • Like (+1) 1

18 hours ago, Rubes said:

My friend, I do wonder how much $$$ will be left after we sign Allen though.

It will be impossible to keep up with all the changes and fun to speculate on winners and losers. These 1 year deals can make the offseason brighter by addinf more FA's to the mix. D Williams is 1 good example.

Edited by GreggTX