Bills sign RB Matt Breida

njbuff

39 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

He’s fine. Veteran rbs do little for me. Just find a guy late in the draft. It really shouldn’t be that hard. 

The FA market is full of late round RBs who couldn't make it in the NFL.

Finding a good RB is not as easy as some say it is.

Talked to one of my friends who's a Dolphin fan and asked him what went wrong in Miami:

I’m not sure why it didn’t work out.  I know he lost a couple fumbles but I don’t think that was so bad as to consign him to the doghouse as long as he was.  Miami needed a home run threat yet refused to use him most of the year.  My guess is attitude/practice but that’s a guess informed only by knowing what a premium Coach Flo puts on that.

37 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

The FA market is full of late round RBs who couldn't make it in the NFL.

Finding a good RB is not as easy as some say it is.

Brieda wasn’t drafted. There are rbs on the market because no one Wants to pay veteran guys when there is a guy cheaper with less miles on them in the draft. 

• Agree 1

29 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Brieda wasn’t drafted. There are rbs on the market because no one Wants to pay veteran guys when there is a guy cheaper with less miles on them in the draft. 

Brieda is never going to be a RB1.  He is a change of pace guy for the Bills having Moss/Singletary.

The Kansas City Chiefs had no problem drafting a Running Back at pick #32.

Fans can think anyway they want.  There are plenty of examples to "make a point" either way.

3 hours ago, IgotBILLStopay said:

never doubted it .. about the skill I mean. Breida brings the speed element to what Motor and Moss bring. So he is a nice complement. And with his speed, he can play some ST too - didnt he play ST in the Super Bowl?

I haven't watched a SB since Philly's win. I wouldn't know. 😁

4 hours ago, Bobby Hooks said:

None. I’ve had zero interest in any rbs in the first round. I don’t this year either, I’m just saying I won’t feel angry if Beane decides he wants to go that route. At this point I trust him, and if he feels one of them are good enough to warrant the pick who are we to disagree? 

And yes, of course you made the reference to a kicker in the first round because you simply can’t move on from the schtick of referencing old school drafting philosophies to push your agenda.

I answered your question, now let me ask you a question. How did you feel about drafting Bass? That went against conventional drafting wisdom. We got an F in almost every draft grade for it. 

I think it worked out excellently, especially since it was a need at the time and we didn’t have much else we needed to upgrade. Beane was open minded enough to forgo popular drafting standards and took his guy. I bet you’d be hard pressed to find anyone second guessing the choice now, but at the time was being questioned as foolish. 

If Beane ended up getting us a true game changer at pick 30 for five years, I bet you’d be hard pressed to find anyone arguing the choice. Again, this is pick 30, it’s not a top ten choice. If you can get a guy that can instantly upgrade, you do it regardless of position. That’s where we are now, draft picks will find it very hard to crack our starting roster. 

Now if the choice is a starting corner over a starting running back sure, but those tend to go a lot higher than 30. A running back may just be there. 

Welcome to a new era if Buffalo Bills football the days of picking top 15 and putting all your hope in a draftee to fill your gaping positional holes are a thing of the past. 

I was unaware that there was so much hate about the Bass pick..........that seems a bit exaggerated on your part.

I liked using a late pick on a talented kicker.........late round picks are fair game for any position.

As for getting a true game changer for 5 years..........that's a lot to ask of a RB nowadays.

Zeke Elliott was IMO the best RB prospect of the past decade of drafts...........and he's been the best producing RB selected in round 1 in that span........and has now actually played in the NFL for 5 years..........and still in 2 of those seasons handing the ball off to him has been a less-than-league-average per-carry proposition.  

The odds are more in favor of that RB ending up producing like Fournette or Sony Michel than they are getting 3 "game changer" seasons out of 5 like Elliott. 

The era of RB's you could expect to be good every year until they turned 30 seems to have ended with guys like AD and Shady..........the position doesn't pay so the best amateur athletes just don't say there.    Instead each draft class of RB's seems to be a field of players like Etienne who don't have the size or length to project to a more premium position.   Today's starting RB's are the athletes that would have been the backup RB's 20 years ago. 

On 3/25/2021 at 5:34 PM, NewEra said:

Oh yeah....Hodgins and Kumerow.....I forgot.    Two burners.......not.  We need speed at wr.  We should be drafting a WR in the first 4 rds in almost every draft.  

Beasley will be 32 in a month.  Sanders is on a one year deal.  Hodgins is a slot guy.  Kumerow is a ST guy.  None are deep threats.  

look at the draft board.  There are several very good WRs that could be BPA in rd 2 and 3.  If a wr is BPA when we pick in rd 2 or 3, they should be the pick.  Period.

you disagree?  Cool.  I stick to my guns.  We need more playmakers whether or not you feel that way.

There are more pressing areas of need IMO. We are currently loaded at WR. Draft one of your speedy college kids in later rounds. Period

59 minutes ago, r00tabaga said:

There are more pressing areas of need IMO. We are currently loaded at WR. Draft one of your speedy college kids in later rounds. Period

The draft isn’t about filling pressing needs imo.  It’s about drafting the best players available at valuable positions.  WR is a valuable positions....:especially for this team

On 3/25/2021 at 4:25 PM, MJS said:

I was confused at how little playing time he got in Miami. I expected him to be their lead back. Let's hope we use him more in Buffalo.

He’s a better zone running back and Miami ran power. Breida was a wide zone runner in SF. He wants to look at the cut back lanes, put his foot in the ground and go. Not a great fit for Chan’s scheme. Bills moved toward more of a zone scheme last year - could be why Quinton Spain couldn’t hang in there.  Also breida was hurt at some points last year. 

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 1

20 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

He’s fine. Veteran rbs do little for me. Just find a guy late in the draft. It really shouldn’t be that hard. 

I’m good with the Breida signing to fill a need, but generally I agree with you. That’s why I find it so disappointing that Beane struck out on two draft choices at running back. I realize that Moss has shown some promise, but he also lacks playmaking ability. We drafted two backs who play like an aging Frank Gore. Neither guy was a first or second round pick, but you should do better with mid round picks at that position. 

10 minutes ago, SirAndrew said:

I’m good with the Breida signing to fill a need, but generally I agree with you. That’s why I find it so disappointing that Beane struck out on two draft choices at running back. I realize that Moss has shown some promise, but he also lacks playmaking ability. We drafted two backs who play like an aging Frank Gore. Neither guy was a first or second round pick, but you should do better with mid round picks at that position. 

I’d say 1,400 plus yards while averaging 4.8 per over your first two seasons is hardly a strike out.

• Agree 1

34 minutes ago, SirAndrew said:

Moss missed some time this year with turf toe and I think the virtual OTAs and no preseason had an effect as well. Not making excuses but there are some reasons why he didn’t become a huge contributor in year 1. I don’t see it as strike out at this point. I think he can be solid if he stays healthy. He showed some flashes, even in the passing game and especially as a pass blocker which lets face it, is very important in this offense. The Bills moved to more of a zone running team this season and it took some time for the OL and RBs to acclimate to that as well.  Breida fits that scheme. Not saying he even makes the team but it’s interesting. 

• Agree 1

4 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Disagree.... I think Moss or Singletary’s production could be duplicated rather easily by a guy like TJ Yeldon. 

They are/were each cheaper than Yeldon, no?  And Yeldon never hit that YPA on more than 50 attempts.

Edited by Coach Tuesday

22 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

So as for hard....overall the success rate (not the "difference making star" rate, just a guy who can consistently crack the starting lineup) is about 50% at the top of the 1st round, 30% at the bottom of the 1st round and top of the 2nd, slides to about 20% in the 3rd and 4th round and 10% in the 5th round and later.  Those are spitball numbers that will change by 5% depending on the "success rate" criteria used by the guy in question

1 hour ago, SWATeam said:

I’d say 1,400 plus yards while averaging 4.8 per over your first two seasons is hardly a strike out.

I assume your referring to Singletary. He looked really good his rookie year, but our run game was abysmal last season. Moss basically overtook Singletary as the go to guy by the end of the season. Singletary’s two year stat line looks nice, but was basically supplanted by Moss, while looking quite below average. That doesn’t make me feel great about Singletary. 

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

Moss missed some time this year with turf toe and I think the virtual OTAs and no preseason had an effect as well. Not making excuses but there are some reasons why he didn’t become a huge contributor in year 1. I don’t see it as strike out at this point. I think he can be solid if he stays healthy. He showed some flashes, even in the passing game and especially as a pass blocker which lets face it, is very important in this offense. The Bills moved to more of a zone running team this season and it took some time for the OL and RBs to acclimate to that as well.  Breida fits that scheme. Not saying he even makes the team but it’s interesting. 

Great points, I’m being a bit hyperbolic by referring to Moss and Singletary as wasted picks. However, I don’t like the fact we used two draft choices on guys who appear to lack big play making ability. I don’t care about 40 times or anything of that, Moss and Singletary both look slow with no burst.    Neither of those guys seem capable of turning a twenty yard run into an eighty yard run. 

It seems to me that Singletary and Moss are both decent RBs but neither bring anything special to their game.

I feel it doesn't matter which one is in the defenses play them the same and I suspect neither is feared too much.

It's one of the main reasons I want to see a RB that causes the defense some worry.

I feel that will help Josh and the offense in total.  It seems the easiest way to improve the O.

As an example no one can convince me that having McCoy in his prime wouldn't create a whole new diversity to this offense.