Bills sign RB Matt Breida

njbuff

Is Breida going to have a press conference to introduce himself? I feel like that's a tell that the player is a lock for the roster. Hollister and Sanders and all of our re-signs got press conferences. Obada didn't. If Breida doesn't I'll assume he's just depth competition to possibly take over Yeldon's spot.

6 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Is Breida going to have a press conference to introduce himself? I feel like that's a tell that the player is a lock for the roster. Hollister and Sanders and all of our re-signs got press conferences. Obada didn't. If Breida doesn't I'll assume he's just depth competition to possibly take over Yeldon's spot.

A RB with that kind of speed doesn't come along very often, if it wasn't for the injury with the Dolphins he would have been out of Buffalo's price range. Not sure about a press conference though....lol

8 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

He signed for the minimum, he’s not a lock at all.  I wouldn’t risk him climbing onto a podium, dude is made of more fragile glass than Kolb or Goodwin.

1 minute ago, HOUSE said:

A RB with that kind of speed doesn't come along very often, if it wasn't for the injury with the Dolphins he would have been out of Buffalo's price range. Not sure about a press conference though....lol

If it weren’t for injuries, sums up his career.  Expect nothing from him so you aren’t disappointed.

15 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Actually I have liked all of Beane's first round picks..........which is easily a first wrt a Bills GM.

I do think he seemed to learn a lot working for Dave Gettleman..........a lot of what not to do.

And ol' Gettlenutz is just the guy to keep an open mind like you and select a RB or offensive guard in round 1 and call a loss a win.😉

I don’t think you could be further from reality in this take. Gettleman is the exact opposite of an open minded fluid GM. 

Gettleman’s part of the old school, never trade a pick/player, draft a stand in the pocket prototypical qb type of guy. 

Im really not sure where your takes are coming from, you’re just kinda throwing names and old school draft rules around hoping something sticks. 

You obviously feel very strongly about not getting a rb in the first round, okay. I’d prefer other positions but if Beane thinks he’s getting a game changer at 30, I’m not complaining. You on the other hand will I guess. 

Congrats? Not really sure what’s left to say. 

Edited by Bobby Hooks
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1

17 minutes ago, DCofNC said:

He signed for the minimum, he’s not a lock at all.  I wouldn’t risk him climbing onto a podium, dude is made of more fragile glass than Kolb or Goodwin.

If it weren’t for injuries, sums up his career.  Expect nothing from him so you aren’t disappointed.

Most every RB in the league plays with injuries. I am not concerned, he will be fine

25 minutes ago, Bobby Hooks said:

I don’t think you could be further from reality in this take. Gettleman is the exact opposite of an open minded fluid GM. 

Gettleman’s part of the old school, never trade a pick/player, draft a stand in the pocket prototypical qb type of guy. 

Im really not sure where your takes are coming from, you’re just kinda throwing names and old school draft rules around hoping something sticks. 

You obviously feel very strongly about not getting a rb in the first round, okay. I’d prefer other positions but if Beane thinks he’s getting a game changer at 30, I’m not complaining. You on the other hand will I guess. 

Congrats? Not really sure what’s left to say. 

Who is the last RB you regret the Bills passing on in the first round?

You can deny every other metric that tells you that drafting a RB in round one is foolish...........but the fact that we can't even cherry pick one guy who was a consensus high draft worthy RB this century that the Bills passed on says it all.

All successful organizations have systems in place to limit mistakes.

Systems defy the "open mind to everything" mindset that leads a talented rostered Raiders team to select a kicker in round 1.   

1 hour ago, Process said:

Yea I would have liked answers as well. He was clearly a much better option than singletary. 

I'm just curious how you reach this conclusion?

No one saw preseason.  No one saw practices.  No one sees the meetings and how much of the playbook a guy has mastered or no. 

But yet (not to pick on you, you're not alone) fans speak with such absolute certainty they know more than the coaches:

"clearly a much better option than Singletary".

It just puzzles me. 

Maybe in practice, Yeldon couldn't block worth kittens.  Maybe he struggled to pick up the playbook.  Maybe he fell asleep in meetings. 

We just don't know.

6 hours ago, machine gun kelly said:

Josh, not sure on the reference for 3.8 speed.  I’m assuming you mean another metric than the 40, but I’ll defer to you.  You’re right he’s fast.  I’m glad they are considering him, and Yeldon now is officially gone.  I know he was UFA, and too bad as I thought he could’ve done more for us.

Hopefully this is a nice cheap add.

I think he has the decimal in the wrong place.  Breida ran a reported 4.38 40 at his "Georgia Southern" pro day.

• Agree 1

22 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

You can deny every other metric that tells you that drafting a RB in round one is foolish...........but the fact that we can't even cherry pick one guy who was a consensus high draft worthy RB this century that the Bills passed on says it all.

Systems defy the "open mind to everything" mindset that leads a talented rostered Raiders team to select a kicker in round 1.   

First round? Zero. I was overly frustrated when they didn’t make Chubb or Dobbins happen though.

If OBD wouldn’t spend a second on those two they sure as heck shouldn’t spend a first on anyone coming out this year. I’d take either of those two way before anyone from this years class. 

Edited by CommonCents

2020 Announcer: "Allen is pressured, he escapes the pocket, breaks 7 tackles, hes still on his feet! stiff arms the LB to the ground and picks up 5 for the first down!

2021 announcer: "Allen is pressured, he escapes the pocket, hes got breida in the flats, breida makes the catch, turns on the burners and tears off a 30 yard pick up! Man Allen is just dicing up this defense from every angle tonight"

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BADOLBILZ said:

None. I’ve had zero interest in any rbs in the first round. I don’t this year either, I’m just saying I won’t feel angry if Beane decides he wants to go that route. At this point I trust him, and if he feels one of them are good enough to warrant the pick who are we to disagree? 

And yes, of course you made the reference to a kicker in the first round because you simply can’t move on from the schtick of referencing old school drafting philosophies to push your agenda.

I answered your question, now let me ask you a question. How did you feel about drafting Bass? That went against conventional drafting wisdom. We got an F in almost every draft grade for it. 

I think it worked out excellently, especially since it was a need at the time and we didn’t have much else we needed to upgrade. Beane was open minded enough to forgo popular drafting standards and took his guy. I bet you’d be hard pressed to find anyone second guessing the choice now, but at the time was being questioned as foolish. 

If Beane ended up getting us a true game changer at pick 30 for five years, I bet you’d be hard pressed to find anyone arguing the choice. Again, this is pick 30, it’s not a top ten choice. If you can get a guy that can instantly upgrade, you do it regardless of position. That’s where we are now, draft picks will find it very hard to crack our starting roster. 

Now if the choice is a starting corner over a starting running back sure, but those tend to go a lot higher than 30. A running back may just be there. 

Welcome to a new era if Buffalo Bills football the days of picking top 15 and putting all your hope in a draftee to fill your gaping positional holes are a thing of the past. 

Edited by Bobby Hooks

I think Breida -- assuming he makes the roster -- will be active on game days this year.

Instead of having six active WRs, like last year, I predict five active WRs and four active RBs. So they essentially swap out Roberts for Breida. 

It would be silly not to give a gameday jersey to the fastest offensive player they have. I bet they will.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

15 hours ago, njbuff said:

Thanks.

All skill brother. 😂😂😂

never doubted it .. about the skill I mean. Breida brings the speed element to what Motor and Moss bring. So he is a nice complement. And with his speed, he can play some ST too - didnt he play ST in the Super Bowl?

46 minutes ago, Logic said:

I think Breida -- assuming he makes the roster -- will be active on game days this year.

Instead of having six active WRs, like last year, I predict five active WRs and four active RBs. So they essentially swap out Roberts for Breida. 

It would be silly not to give a gameday jersey to the fastest offensive player they have. I bet they will.

If McKenzie is our KR/PR, I think you’re correct.  

Moss, Breida, Singletary, Jones

Diggs, Beasley, Davis, Sanders, McKenzie

Knox, Hollister, ???

My only hang up would be if a guy like Kadarius Toney is there at 30.  If I’m Beane, I have to take him.  

1 hour ago, CommonCents said:

First round? Zero. I was overly frustrated when they didn’t make Chubb or Dobbins happen though.

If OBD wouldn’t spend a second on those two they sure as heck shouldn’t spend a first on anyone coming out this year. I’d take either of those two way before anyone from this years class. 

Chubb wasn’t available when the bills selected in rd 2.  Not even close. Dobbins was.  I agree, I was hoping for him to be our pick.  

that said, I’d take Harris, Etienne and Javonte over a Dobbins

4 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

Pass rush is still a glaring need.... unless Obada emerges as a dominate rusher they really haven't done enough there, IMO.

I was dumbfounded that the press NEVER asked McD why Yeldon doesn't get more time.... especially last season with the struggles on the ground. 

Agreed on pass rush. OL too. We need to get better in the trenches. Agree on Yeldon. He has always played well for us. I also think Breida's speed is an asset that Daboll will exploit. No one can catch him from behind.

4 hours ago, HOUSE said:

The Dolphins got him off the 49ers for what, a 5th round pick?

Usually a guy who got swapped for a 5th round pick, isn't a guy who goes out of price range.

3 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I'm just curious how you reach this conclusion?

No one saw preseason.  No one saw practices.  No one sees the meetings and how much of the playbook a guy has mastered or no. 

But yet (not to pick on you, you're not alone) fans speak with such absolute certainty they know more than the coaches:

"clearly a much better option than Singletary".

It just puzzles me. 

Maybe in practice, Yeldon couldn't block worth kittens.  Maybe he struggled to pick up the playbook.  Maybe he fell asleep in meetings. 

We just don't know.

I think he has the decimal in the wrong place.  Breida ran a reported 4.38 40 at his "Georgia Southern" pro day.

Hap, ever try and catch a kitten?  Just kidding.  Thanks for the clarification.  Otherwise I think he meant we picked up this guy.

Edited by machine gun kelly