Bills sign RB Matt Breida

njbuff

1 hour ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Would it be completely out of the conversation that Breida becomes our #1 back by opening day?

No, I don't think it's completely out of the realm of possibility. Just like it's not completely out the realm of possibility that he is part of a competition in a crowded backfield, finds himself the odd man out, and doesn't even make the team.

It all comes down to whether or not we draft another RB (and how high he's picked), how Breida performs in Training Camp and the Pre-Season. And similarly, how the rest of the RB's perform.

I could be way off. But my gut says we draft another RB and then it's a 4 man competition for 3 spots. In the end, either Singletary gets traded, Breida gets cut, or it's a late round RB that ends up on our Practice Squad.

Edited by BillsFanForever19
  • Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, RunJoshRun said:

I think at 5'10, 195 lbs. with 3.8 speed and a 4.9 avg. yard per carry after 4 years in the NFL he's a bargain!  I don't know of a current Bill RB on the roster that can show that ability or NFL experience!

Josh, not sure on the reference for 3.8 speed.  I’m assuming you mean another metric than the 40, but I’ll defer to you.  You’re right he’s fast.  I’m glad they are considering him, and Yeldon now is officially gone.  I know he was UFA, and too bad as I thought he could’ve done more for us.

Hopefully this is a nice cheap add.

A very quiet but also very effective offseason for the Bills so far.  They retained almost the entire AFCCG team, and then made smart adds that filled holes and improved position groups.

There really aren't any glaring "needs" they need to address in the draft. I expect it to be more heavy on defense, but they can really go BPA, or whatever direction they want now.

Beane knows football.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

Brieda is a solid addition to this team and can come in an challenge Singletary for playing time right away. 

Last season he didn't look anything like he did in SF but there can be many reasons for this maybe he was still hurt maybe he didn't fit the scheme . Chan Gailey runs mainly man power so that can be the problem. 

The Bills run basically a version of the 49ers Stretch Zone so Brieda is a great fit to our scheme mof he's a much better fit then anyone else on our roster as of right now. Hopefully he can finally stay healthy and let's hope that last yr was just a bad situation for him and not him being zapped of his atlheticm because of his previous injury history. 

7 hours ago, RunJoshRun said:

I think at 5'10, 195 lbs. with 3.8 speed and a 4.9 avg. yard per carry after 4 years in the NFL he's a bargain!  I don't know of a current Bill RB on the roster that can show that ability or NFL experience!

of course he's a bargain. he really hasn't done much or is a proven No.1 RB. 

• Agree 1

6 hours ago, TheBrownBear said:

I don't think Singletary sees the start of the season in a Bills uniform

I have that feeling too....he had better impress or its see you later.

I think Moss wins the starting job.

He looked good as a rookie.

Brieda and Singletary plus a rookie fight it out for #2 and 3 rb

5 minutes ago, JMF2006 said:

I have that feeling too....he had better impress or its see you later.

I think Moss wins the starting job.

He looked good as a rookie.

Brieda and Singletary plus a rookie fight it out for #2 and 3 rb

Oh...Don't worry, Singletary will be there in some capacity!

Maybe Singletary runs with a little more toughness in a contract year.  At worst he’s your 3rd string since he’s so cheap.  I think Moss has a good year and Breida provides an element of speed we didn’t have in the backfield.  RB should be fine next year.  Still need upgrade at Tight End.  

15 hours ago, jwhit34 said:

Looking forward to Matt Breida becoming the best version of himself with the Bills. This is so smart, a relatively low/no risk, high reward scenario. If he plays at his 2018-19 level it's a terrific pickup. 

I think part of Beane's strategy is that if you sign enough of these low-budget, "be the best version of yourself" type guys you're bound to hit on a couple and if you do you really add value to your team (and end up looking pretty smart). 

This!  Some people have never watched this guy play.  Excellent hands and was amazing in SF.  People calling this guy marginal is beyond crazy!

8 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Pass rush is still a glaring need.... unless Obada emerges as a dominate rusher they really haven't done enough there, IMO.

I was dumbfounded that the press NEVER asked McD why Yeldon doesn't get more time.... especially last season with the struggles on the ground. 

Yea I would have liked answers as well. He was clearly a much better option than singletary.