Bills sign RB Matt Breida

njbuff

15 minutes ago, Rc2catch said:

Breida barely played last year. Can only catch if you’re thrown to. Neither guys seen many targets. Breida does have decent hands though. 

Why didn’t Miami need his speed? He couldn’t crack their roster and was a healthy inactive most of the season despite them having barely no talent at running back and they were hurting for playmakers to catch the ball. Speed is great, but not if you can’t be effective. Breida is tricky because everyone in San Fran looks like an all pro. I am a little sketchy of a guy who couldn’t beat out Myles Gaskin, Ahmed whatever his name was, Patrick Laird.. Not a good look if you’re sitting behind those guys. He has upside of course and his speed is elite, but he’s got his work cut out for him

Good thoughts.

Do you think part of last year had to do with injury though? Or, do you think it’s bigger than that?

We need some break away speed out there so I’m hoping he can be used more than Yeldon was (not saying he will though).

2 minutes ago, Bobby Hooks said:

I don’t get how people thinks this means we won’t draft a running back. It’s a one year deal, and as people have pointed out there are injury concerns. 

I like that we got him, but I think we’re set up perfectly for bpa in mostly all positions. If there’s a guy that the Bills really like at 30 I don’t think the Bills pass because of Brieda. 

I think it's mostly wishful thinking from people that didn't want a RB in the draft in the first place (myself included). We're already likely looking at cutting/trading/deactivating one of our talented RBs as is. It's certainly possible that we draft one of the top RBs and then cut Breida and trade/cut Singletary but I'm really hoping that isn't the way we use our draft picks.

• Like (+1) 2

I’m all in on this. Superior speed and shiftiness for a bargain. But if Harris fell to us at 30 and Beane took him, I’d be OK with that. I think he is a special runner compared to anyone else in the draft. I think he can change an offense. Etienne clones, on the other hand can be found in the lower rounds.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, BillsFan619 said:

Good thoughts.

Do you think part of last year had to do with injury though? Or, do you think it’s bigger than that?

We need some break away speed out there so I’m hoping he can be used more than Yeldon was (not saying he will though).

I think Breida will get a chance for playing time. But it won’t be easy to win this staff over. Fans should prepare thats it’s possible he doesn’t get playing time without an injury. Mcdermott has a decent track record of sticking with players he’s previously comfortable with and making people really earn their time. 

• Like (+1) 1

Love this as a low risk medium reward signing.  Breida's speed can play well in either our screen game or our outside run game.  We have one of the best pull centers in the league, let's use him with Breida to allow him to get to the outside and turn upfield

Beane is an effective team builder, working within cap restrictions brilliantly. If you look at his signings, the retention of roster personnel who were great contributors at affordable #s along with cherry picking UFAs who fill positional needs,(TE, Edge,RB with speed), also at discounts on one year deals. He created cap space by restructuring where cutting wasn't called for and now has BPA flexibility in draft. He has made a believer out of me. 

3 minutes ago, BuffaloBills1998 said:

He didn’t do much in Miami, don’t know how I feel about this signing. But I trust Beane

Well needed a RB with speed. Hopefully he can catch decent also. But yeah I'm not too familiar with him either. So we'll see how it goes.

Speed back. Good out of backfield. Don’t have his skill set on our RB roster Gets hurt a lot. Havent seen the money yet. 

but which one do we get the Good Breida from San Fran

or the Crap one from MIA?

Edited by MAJBobby
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, Patrick_Duffy said:

Well needed a RB with speed. Hopefully he can catch decent also. But yeah I'm not too familiar with him either. So we'll see how it goes.

Breida's a Bill now and Buffalo does present a different kind of backfield for him with the always a danger to run Allen behind center so I'll try to reserve judgement.

Might be a good fit for the speedster

Signings like this are why those "in the know" call the Bills one of the best run organizations in the league now.

Beane goes out and signs vets to 1-year deals as fill-ins/depth/competition and if they work out, he re-signs them.  No cap worries, no risk -- all reward.  Super smart.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

Speed back. Good out of backfield. Gets hurt a lot. Havent seen the money yet. 

but which one do we get the Good Breida from San Fran

or the Crap one from MIA?

This is a good question. Either way, I think he’s going to be a lot more of a situational player than some here think. It would be nice if he could play special teams, particularly the gunner on the punt team. But I doubt this is the case