Gil Brandt’s Top 100

12 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

Regional scouts had all of last year to see him, as well as getting to attend Georgia practices to see him, and Ohio State practices at times the past 3 season's

And you still have all the tape from this year

There is way more than enough tape and info on Justin fields, not like Trey Lance who is a mystery

I understand talking to him. But nothing about his throws on his pro day should change anything about his draft status

We are aligned - I was just pointing out that this year is a little different from the perspective of having limited in-person access due to COVID.  

I also imagine that Gil Brandt is no longer grinding through hundreds of hours of tape on these prospects, but I do think he watches some.  My interest is mainly in how connected he likely is to people in the league.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, OldTimer1960 said:

We are aligned - I was just pointing out that this year is a little different from the perspective of having limited in-person access due to COVID.  

I also imagine that Gil Brandt is no longer grinding through hundreds of hours of tape on these prospects, but I do think he watches some.  My interest is mainly in how connected he likely is to people in the league.

Absolutely and covid definitely made it a funny year

And he's definitely still connected

2 hours ago, Augie said:

I am not at all surprised he has TE Kyle Pitts at #3.  It kinda looks like something is wrong when you watch him play, like a grown man playing with his little nephews. 

I have been saying for weeks that Pitts is a top 10 pick, perhaps top 5.  In college he was virtually impossible to cover, even when he is doubled. He also took coverage away from other receivers, which made their lives much easier, let alone the QB.

Again, I liken him to Kellen Winslow Sr. and this is quite the compliment.

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, RyanC883 said:

I think Brant didn't rank players like Cisco with injury issues.  

That could be the case. He missed a lot of last season because of the quintessential “lower body injury”. Before that he seem to be pretty durable. And as far as I know he is 100% right now.

14 minutes ago, machine gun kelly said:

Brandt gets dismissed because of his age, and he also gets a ton of credit. He’s an analyst like others and has experience back to 1960.  Sometimes he shows his age, but he also is pretty smart.

I just take it as one guys opinion.

Brandt introduced computers and the first analytics to the league way back when. A genuine innovator in that regard and other teams rapidly followed the Dallas model. His assessments are as solid as anyone who is not out in the field on any regular basis. 

• Agree 1

Gotta love Gil's evals:

"More so than anything, he can play left tackle, and that means so much in today's NFL."

"I think he'll be the kind of quarterback who can take you to the playoffs."

"recording a 33-inch vertical and throwing the bar up 33 times. His arms, which people were worried about the length of, measured 33 inches"

"should play many years at a high level."

"he just has "it." He's something special."

"Surtain ...has very good coverage skills"

"should start for a long time and help whomever he ends up with."

"Collins makes a lot of plays"

My favorites:

"has great skills as a player"

"lots of upside for the future."

Edited by Mr. WEO
  • Haha (+1) 1

5 hours ago, MJS said:

Maybe others feel differently, but I have not been impressed with Gil Brandt as a writer or NFL analyst. I know he has a good history in the league, but his writing always seems pretty superficial to me. And I highly doubt he puts in the time for film study that he once did. But, that's just my impression. I could be wrong.

Worth keeping in mind that he's writing for a largely superficial audience. This isn't draftnik.com or the Ispend70hoursaweekbreakingdownfilm twitter handle, this is NFL.com proper, so there's a demand for content that covers a very broad swath of readership. Furthermore, it's entirely possible that this piece was ghostwritten and/or partially quick jots from much longer scouting reports...

Gil's extremely well respected in NFL circles.

7 hours ago, BarleyNY said:

I do not see Asante Samuel Jr either. 

I think there's a reason for that... He's plenty talented, but I think he's gotten a "Draftnik bump" because of his name... He's at best a very borderline top-100 player in my eyes. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, glazeduck said:

Worth keeping in mind that he's writing for a largely superficial audience. This isn't draftnik.com or the Ispend70hoursaweekbreakingdownfilm twitter handle, this is NFL.com proper, so there's a demand for content that covers a very broad swath of readership. Furthermore, it's entirely possible that this piece was ghostwritten and/or partially quick jots from much longer scouting reports...

Gil's extremely well respected in NFL circles.

No doubt he is extremely well respected, and for good reason, but he is respected for his past contributions, not his present contributions.

I personally don't care for what he writes these days. I read a lot better material on NFL.com from the likes of Daniel Jeremiah or Bucky Brooks.

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, TPS said:

Are we trading a pick? Or are you assuming they pick someone not on the list?

Bills have 30, 61, and 93

Someone not on the list or a trade up in rd 1-2. Under Beane we definitely have drafted better and I think they find someone under the radar in round 3 that has some upside but wasn't graded because of injury or other factors.

Interesting that no one drafted by Buffalo before 2017 is on the roster and very few are even in the NFL

Edited by BillsRdue

1 hour ago, MJS said:

No doubt he is extremely well respected, and for good reason, but he is respected for his past contributions, not his present contributions.

I personally don't care for what he writes these days. I read a lot better material on NFL.com from the likes of Daniel Jeremiah or Bucky Brooks.

I don’t mind Jeremiah or Brooks, but what do they provide that’s better than Brandt? Do you think they see attributes in players that Brandt doesn’t see? If so, what kind?