New York State To End Pot Prohibition

1 hour ago, I am the egg man said:

What is the cost of an ounce of high grade legalized marijuana?

.....asking for a friend.

😋

Tell your friend to do an internet search for weed stores in Washington or Colorado and look at the prices.

I usually buy pre rolls for between $5 and $7.  1 gram.  A little less for me cuz I get a 10% Veteran discount.  Good stuff.

16 hours ago, RochesterRob said:

It's all about the taxes.  It was around 15 years ago that 60 Minutes did a story about the resurgence of moonshine.  Moonshine, you say?  Why?  The cost to the end user was less because liquor store alcohol was priced much higher due to tax.  I'd be interested in knowing how much tax is on Washington MJ?  Preliminary estimates are when MJ gets going in NY that the state taxes may add 25 percent or more to the purchase price.  Then there are the opportunists such as the mayor of Rochester, NY who wants to levy her own tax to create social programs designed to keep her in office.  I don't know Washington state's finances but NYS was in a poor situation before Cuomo ran the ship on the rocks with his COVID shutdown.  Somebody is making up for the shortfall and it will not be Cuomo's limousine millionaire buddies.  

I read something a week or so ago, then forgot where I read it, but the taxation was going to be 13%. 13% of what price I have no idea. Out of that, 9% was going to the state and 4% to the county where purchased.

People would also be allowed to grow 6 plants, for personal consumption of course. It also said that it was likely to take a year+ before you see dispensaries opening as they have to create licensing et al...

29 minutes ago, frostbitmic said:

I read something a week or so ago, then forgot where I read it, but the taxation was going to be 13%. 13% of what price I have no idea. Out of that, 9% was going to the state and 4% to the county where purchased.

People would also be allowed to grow 6 plants, for personal consumption of course. It also said that it was likely to take a year+ before you see dispensaries opening as they have to create licensing et al...

If they start at 13 percent I am very skeptical that they will stay there.  A gallon of gasoline over a generation ago had far less taxes on it than today.  I don't see the state, county or anybody else locking themselves in at one percentage rate in perpetuity.  The black market will become invisible to a fair portion of the population but will exist nonetheless.  Start going to 20, 25, or more percent that will allow the black market to be more competitive.  And with MJ being legal a fair number of the black market's headaches will go away.  People joke about it being sold at Bills home games and it will be sold both by the stadium and by private individuals.  Will the state and county send out "revenuer's" to collect the tax?

16 hours ago, I am the egg man said:

What is the cost of an ounce of high grade legalized marijuana?

.....asking for a friend.

😋

An ounce??  The 70's called and they want their weed distribution back.  

Edited by Chef Jim
  • Haha (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, I am the egg man said:

Price of a kilo be more apropos?

Do I have to get someone to do an aisle check?

Now I smoke a few times a week. But a real small amount.  I mean small.  And a gram lasts me believe it or not 3 months.  So do the math.  An ounce would last me 7 years.  LOL!

12 minutes ago, Chef Jim said:

Now I smoke a few times a week. But a real small amount.  I mean small.  And a gram lasts me believe it or not 3 months.  So do the math.  An ounce would last me 7 years.  LOL!

Use to be a chronic, main reason for my divorces.

Straightened up, best I knew how, remarried.

Smoked a joint with others on a Cleveland baseball weekend after not touching the stuff for near a decade, around 2005.

I was in paranoid orbit. Haven't smoked it since.

Can't imagine how strong this stuff is now.

Just now, I am the egg man said:

Use to be a chronic, main reason for my divorces.

Straightened up, best I knew how, remarried.

Smoked a joint with others on a Cleveland baseball weekend after not touching the stuff for near a decade, around 2005.

I was in paranoid orbit. Haven't smoked it since.

Can't imagine how strong this stuff is now.

The reason why I smoke so little is because it's a fine line for me between ahhhhhhh and AHHHHHHHH!!!!!   

• Haha (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Chef Jim said:

An ounce??  The 70's called and they want their weed distribution back.  

That purchase amount (an ounce) is not antiquated as much as it is tied to state il/legality.  In illegal states, ‘bulk’ purchases are still very much the norm.  Larger amounts give volume discounts as well as less contact with the illegal interactions.

In legal states, ‘kid in the candy store’ is much more common. I’ll have one of those and two of those and oooh, those purple ones...yeah, two of those and give me....  unless you’re a wuss and only use a gram a year.     Lol

• Like (+1) 1

• 2 weeks later...