New York State To End Pot Prohibition

The black market is going nowhere.  By the time all the state and local taxes are thrown on (Hello Rochester, NY Mayor Warren) the pre-legaliztion dealer will have his work lessened for him.  As long as an end user carries legal quantities he can't be hassled about the amount on him.  Further, just like buying tobacco he will not be required to carry the purchase receipt on him.  It will be very hard for any issues to blowback on a blackmarket dealer unless the state wants to engage in sting operations for the purpose of determining taxes owed to the state.  I don't see it happening especially in the big cities where no doubt the cops will be told to stand down on MJ related issues.  My pot smoking in law will be a larger burden on his family among others.

3 minutes ago, ALF said:

I would think when it's legal to grow your own is the cheapest way to go.

Very few people grow their own vegetables so expect the same to hold true for MJ.  Also, if you don't live in the best neighborhood then you have to worry about protecting your crop from others.  Most people will just buy it then consume it in a matter of days to bypass problems.  

15 minutes ago, RochesterRob said:

The black market is going nowhere.  By the time all the state and local taxes are thrown on (Hello Rochester, NY Mayor Warren) the pre-legaliztion dealer will have his work lessened for him.  As long as an end user carries legal quantities he can't be hassled about the amount on him.  Further, just like buying tobacco he will not be required to carry the purchase receipt on him.  It will be very hard for any issues to blowback on a blackmarket dealer unless the state wants to engage in sting operations for the purpose of determining taxes owed to the state.  I don't see it happening especially in the big cities where no doubt the cops will be told to stand down on MJ related issues.  My pot smoking in law will be a larger burden on his family among others.

If anything I’d expect the secondary market to become more pervasive with folks using offer up, let it go, etc without fear of prosecution for drug charges. I do think eventually the tax people will come calling and pose the bigger threat to that market. I’m trying to think of other prohibition markets with a large secondary market. Weapons maybe? 

17 minutes ago, RochesterRob said:

Very few people grow their own vegetables so expect the same to hold true for MJ.  Also, if you don't live in the best neighborhood then you have to worry about protecting your crop from others.  Most people will just buy it then consume it in a matter of days to bypass problems.  

My wife always starts her  garden plants  from seeds indoors under uv lights , they grow like crazy. They can stay indoors full time if needed.

Edited by ALF

30 minutes ago, ALF said:

I would think when it's legal to grow your own is the cheapest way to go.

It's been legal to grow your own here in CA for a long time (12 plants and 6 mature plants) but there is no one I know that grows their own.  The stuff stinks for one thing.  ;)  

I love gardening and I partake in weed "now and then" but never have I grown my own.  And regarding cheap.  I bought a gram a few weeks ago (which will believe it or not last me probably 3 months) cost me $15! 

In Washington state where it has been legal for 9 years the price has gone down and the quality has gone up.  I have zero desire to buy black market weed.  Why bother?  Within 3 miles of my house there are 4 stores and they have great selections.

If NY does it like Washington did, you're gonna like it.

5 minutes ago, ALF said:

The American Lung Association is concerned about the health impacts of marijuana use, especially on lung health. We caution the public against smoking marijuana because of the risks it poses to the lungs

https://www.lung.org/quit-smoking/smoking-facts/health-effects/marijuana-and-lung-health

I don’t care how many times you post this. I’m not doing edibles. 

36 minutes ago, reddogblitz said:

In Washington state where it has been legal for 9 years the price has gone down and the quality has gone up.  I have zero desire to buy black market weed.  Why bother?  Within 3 miles of my house there are 4 stores and they have great selections.

It's all about the taxes.  It was around 15 years ago that 60 Minutes did a story about the resurgence of moonshine.  Moonshine, you say?  Why?  The cost to the end user was less because liquor store alcohol was priced much higher due to tax.  I'd be interested in knowing how much tax is on Washington MJ?  Preliminary estimates are when MJ gets going in NY that the state taxes may add 25 percent or more to the purchase price.  Then there are the opportunists such as the mayor of Rochester, NY who wants to levy her own tax to create social programs designed to keep her in office.  I don't know Washington state's finances but NYS was in a poor situation before Cuomo ran the ship on the rocks with his COVID shutdown.  Somebody is making up for the shortfall and it will not be Cuomo's limousine millionaire buddies.  

• Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, reddogblitz said:

Pfffft......they deliver here. 😁

8 hours ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

If anything I’d expect the secondary market to become more pervasive with folks using offer up, let it go, etc without fear of prosecution for drug charges. I do think eventually the tax people will come calling and pose the bigger threat to that market. I’m trying to think of other prohibition markets with a large secondary market. Weapons maybe? 

Nope. In Colorado we were first, and the black market essentially disappeared other than for shipment out of state to mostly ... you guessed it ... NY.

I was in favor of legalization but I wasn't really happy about Colorado becoming the test case. And there were problems with being the trailblazer (blazin' it I guess). But now that California (the big one) and NY (the second big one) have joined the party, I don't see much of a future for all the National Forest illegal grows that popped up around the state. Face it, we're not really the right climate for it.

Welcome to the party, NY. Now let's get federal law in line with the clear majority of the people in all of the legalized states.