Do WR’s hate Lamar Jackson ?

17 hours ago, Putin said:

Maybe Ravens should just use TE’s instead of WR’s ( problem solved? ) 

They did in 2019.  They were in 13 personnel more than anyone else in the league.  They lost two in free agency.

The Roman issue was discussed just the other day in NFLR.  The announcers mentioned in 2019 it was all about the running game and TE’s as  Harbaugh and Roman knew they could get the most out of LJ with this philosophy.  The problem is opposing defenses caught up to Baltimore in 2020.

They tried to bring in WRs by drafting one and Sammy, but the problem is Roman will have to adapt and develop a passing game for LJ.  I don’t know if he’s capable so if not the Ravens will slide and he’ll get fired.

I don’t know if they will close on a new contract for LJ.  They may want to wait until next off season.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Teddy KGB said:

an explanation of why Lamar Jackson is a regular season only player 

Thank you !!! 

10 hours ago, GETTOTHE50 said:

I’m just curious how much the ravens will have to pay for LJ and how his contract will compare to JA17s.

Im not sure but it will probably be around Ezikiel Elliot’s type contract 

• Haha (+1) 2

6 hours ago, BigAl2526 said:

It is a given that receivers are going to have fewer receptions in Baltimore's offense than with other good teams in the league.  Part of that is Lamar Jackson and part of it is Greg Roman's offense.

It's less about having fewer receptions to me.  The fact is LJ is a great runner and a decent short thrower.  When they are behind or need long yard gains is where they tend to have issues in the passing game.  I think LJ even knows this about himself and would prefer to run on 3rd and 14 instead of trying to thread the needle.

It's quality over quantity with him.  Vick could hit strikes like crazy but everyone knew his A game was his ability to run.  LJ can run but doesn't have the same ability when it comes to passing.

Jackson had one season where he looked like a running QB, the rest look like a RB who can throw occasionally.  I hope they sign him to a big contract, then its bye bye Harbaugh, back to the draft...  lol

It should be interesting to see the Ravens this year.  They lost some big bodies on defense during FA.   Their defense plays so well every year because they had the Dline and DBs.  Their DBs are stout but benefit greatly from their Dline stopping the run allowing them to play the WRs.  If teams start running on them, which I project, the complexion of their defense will change.  And if some cracks open up in their rush defense, that is going to put more pressure on their offense.  And if their offense is starting to switch to a more pro look (LJ under center), we are going to find out once and for all what LJ abilities are/are not.  Their division is as strong as it has ever been top to bottom.  There should be some classic battles in the AFC North this year.  

I saw a report recently that Baltimore QBs were no longer allowed to be filmed during their OTAs.  "Ravens coach John Harbaugh explained the team's new restrictions on outside media using video during practice. Harbaugh was specifically asked why filming quarterback Lamar Jackson throwing the football to wide receivers was not allowed at the mandatory minicamp. "The reason is because you're not us," Harbaugh said."

Sounds like it's a work in progress.

edit:  This article came out that puts some Ravens context on the quote above.  Short read, but it essentially says the Ravens will allow some filming of a one-on-one pass to receivers, but anything that shows a complex route (2 or more) provides footage for other teams.  Ravens don't want that out there.  So rather than force themselves to police the media, they are just shutting down that type of coverage.  https://nypost.com/2021/06/17/the-ravens-are-hiding-lamar-jackson/

Edited by wjag

On 6/18/2021 at 12:59 AM, Mr. WEO said:

Over the last 2 seasons, they had about the same YPA.  Almost the same accuracy.  The Ravens don't ask Jackson to pass as much, yet his TD % is better than Josh easily the past 2 years.  He scores a lot, both passing and running, even with fewer touches than Allen.  Dead last in yards and attempts, but threw more TDs than 19 other teams.

That's not exactly a star studded Offense in Baltimore--he's the leading passer and rusher.  No receiver with even 800 yards.  He's, essentially, the Offense.

The point obviously isn't to say that he's am passer on par with Allen.  It's to say these posts about him being a bad passer are not really convincing/accurate. 

Jackson had a vastly better TD% than Allen in 2019 (9% to 4.3%) and last year Jackson was slightly better than Allen (6.9% to 6.5%). IMO, Jackson benefits far more from scheme than Allen. Over the last two years, 53% of Jackson's pass attempts have come off RPOs and play action (with the top rushing attack in the NFL) as opposed to 35% for Allen (with a rushing attack in the bottom tier of the league). It is the one thing Roman has done really well as a coordinator - scheming people open off the running game. Kaepernick and Taylor each had their best years, in terms of TD% and production under Roman.

I am not a Jackson hater. I think he is a phenominal athlete and a good QB. However, much of his passing success has been derived from their running game. When he has been asked to carry his team when the running game is contained, or primarily operate as a drop back passer in the pocket, his numbers are not as good. 

I honestly believe Roman's system is great for mobile QBs with limited passing talent, and limiting for any QB that would excel more as a pocket passer. For Jackson to have the kind of passing production he had in 2019 (36 passing TDs), in a Roman offense, it will take a TD% of 8-9%. It is rare for a QB to be over 7%. I believe, since 1970, there are only 7 QBs that have done it more than once, with only one QB going over 7% more than twice (Aaron Rogers - 4 times) - and a QB going over 8% has only happened 13 times.

Jackson has one of those times at 9% (tied for the 3rd best season ever) and almost hit 7% or better twice. Is that an indication he can excel as a passer? Or is it merely a product of an exceptional athlete at QB, on a team with a prolific rushing attack, under a coordinator who excels primarily with those two things (Interestingly, Jackson's TD% in 2018 without Roman was 3.5% - but he was a rookie)?

I really don't know - and, IMO, we'll never know as long as Roman is his coordinator.

Edited by billsfan1959
  • Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, P Riv said:

Jackson had one season where he looked like a running QB, the rest look like a RB who can throw occasionally.  I hope they sign him to a big contract, then its bye bye Harbaugh, back to the draft...  lol

Lamar can circle the drain and eventually wash out of the league and I do not think Harbaugh is going anywhere in Baltimore. The Ravens have been remarkably stable and a huge portion of that is because of JH. If they miss on the next guy after LJ, maybe. But not for LJ 

• Like (+1) 2

As a TE or OL, I'd love to play with Lamar. As a wideout? Hell no. You think these guys like to run all day with little passes thrown at them, and be run blockers so often when Jackson goes downhill?

Many WR that are #3 on other teams will always be interested though. Ravens will likely never get top WRs interested, but their offense is still potent. Again, OL and TE have fun for sure ha ha.

Edited by Jerome007