Do WR’s hate Lamar Jackson ?

19 hours ago, Teddy KGB said:

Juju Smith Shuster turned down more money from the Ravens to stay in Pittsburgh.  

TY Hilton has also declined signing a huge multi year deal with the Ravens today.  

The media always placing Lamars failures on the wideouts seems to be scaring new targets away.  

Why would a WR like a RB throwing them the ball?

48 minutes ago, machine gun kelly said:

H2O, I don’t know.  Sometimes, OC’s construct offenses around their talent.  Lamar doesn’t seem to be able to throw well outside the hash marks.  I don’t know the details of why these guys declined the Ravens, but Lamar has limitations.  That speed will run out someday.  He needs to improve like Allen did the last three years.  

Maybe Roman is vanilla, maybe Jackson hit his ceiling, maybe it’s nothing.  I don’t know.  I just haven’t seen improvement out of the QB in three years.  I’m happy for his success, and I don’t have an issue with the Ravens.  I’ve always respected Harbaugh as a coach.  

I agree on Jackson's limitations at this point. I have spoken about them before. He's not the sharpest tool in the shed though he is an amazing athlete, seemingly good guy, and by all accounts a great teammate. A lot of his completions come when a play is breaking down and he finds one of his 6'4" guys breaking loose from coverage. The running threat is what opens up most of his opportunities. He does struggle throwing the ball outside of the hashes and has since college. He's also a bit erratic with the deep ball. I have never seen him sit in the pocket and dissect a defense. That may never end up being his game. Roman is still responsible for the route trees he asks the WR's to run and they have been vanilla for years now. Extremely predictable. It was that way in SF, it was that way here, and it's now that way in Baltimore. The difference in Baltimore is he has a generational athlete playing QB that still makes the offense successful. If they don't get more creative with what they do, if they don't push Lamar to grow as a QB, then their ceiling is what you see right now. A perennial playoff team who always comes up short. That's just my 2. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

I don't think they hate Lamar its the system.

In 46 career games he has thrown 947 times or 20.5 throws per game even if 50% of his targets were to WR that would be 10 targets between 2 or3 guys.

The thing is we all know 75% of his passes are to RB's or TE's meaning 5.5 targets a game to WR's

I would not be a very happy camper busting my but blocking on most plays and running full tilt on 20 others to get the ball 2 or 3 times.

As someone said earlier they had better draft well ;)

Edited by JMF2006
r in very typo
  • Agree 1

21 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

I think they know that is not a place where WRs flourish so unless it’s a giant multi year deal, their value could diminish for next year (when more money will be a available) by going there for one year. It’s partly lamar’s playing style and partly that Roman offense in general. 

Yep. I end up saying or agreeing with whoever said this a lot. Roman can scheme up a heck of a run game but his passing game is lacking, and it always has. That's what got him booted out of San Francisco and Buffalo. Wherever he goes, that team becomes #1 in rush attempts and dead last in pass attempts. And I've seen more than a few players say that it's not too difficult to defend his passing schemes. 

Roman always seems to catch fire early on with whatever team he ends up on, but within a season or two, teams really start to figure out what he's doing and eventually his stuff stops working. I wonder if we'll see that this season in Baltimore. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/26/2021 at 10:33 AM, papazoid said:

why would a wr sign a 1 yr deal on team knowing his targets will be low

Because a team was desperate and offered far and away the best money.

On 3/25/2021 at 11:33 AM, dneveu said:

Anquan boldin, and sammy watkins

Who’s out injured first? 

2 hours ago, TailgateChef said:

Apologies on digging up an old thread.  Too craven to start my own, but looking for thoughts and speculations.

Simple question:  Who signs an extension first, Josh or Lamar?

Since you dredged up this old thread - my guess is Josh signs first and for more.

Unless the Ravens get a deal - I would hold off and use the 5th year option on Lamar.  My guess is if/when they come up short again - Roman is gone and you will see a more traditional offense come in and they will want the 5th year option to see how he adjusts.

I don’t think the Ravens are upset with Jackson - I am not sure if they know he can be the future in a more pass friendly offense and they are struggling to become more pass friendly because WRs bail wanting more targets and his athletic nature combined with a stout defense piles up wins in the regular season.

On 3/25/2021 at 11:15 AM, Shaw66 said:

I don't know if they hate Jackson, but these guys saying no to Baltimore doesn't surprise me. 

In the thread I started that people loved to hate, I said that you can't build a winner with a running quarterback.  

People said, "well, just give him some good receivers, and you'll see that offense take off."  Well, if you're a good receiver, why would you want to go to a team where your job is to be a threat that helps open up the running game?   Why would you want to go to a team that has a guy who has never shown that he can be a top-end passer?   You wouldn't.  

Why did John Brown go to Baltimore instead of Buffalo?   Because Baltimore had Flacco and Buffalo had an unproven rookie.   Why did he leave Baltimore for Buffalo?   Because Flacco lost the job Jackson and Allen demonstrated that he could really throw it, that's why. 

Why did Sanders leave New Orleans for Buffalo?  Why not Baltimore?   It's obvious.  Stefon Diggs and Emanuel Sanders want to play with a pocket passer who can complete every pass in the playbook, not with a guy who wants to run the ball twenty times a game.  

Hey, I love seeing Josh running for 100+ yards a game!

6 hours ago, ChronicAndKnuckles said:

Man, a lot of Bills fan are so cocky forgetting where we've been the past 20 years pre-Allen 

That is cool but the past 20 years don't ***** matter. Get with the now...

Edited by TBBills
  • Like (+1) 2

12 hours ago, ChronicAndKnuckles said:

Man, a lot of Bills fan are so cocky forgetting where we've been the past 20 years pre-Allen 

Who cares about the past 20 years?  It's our time to shine and it is long overdue.  

And how is that cocky?  It is the truth.  They run the ball more than any team and have a remedial passing game like an 8th grader would draw up.

• Like (+1) 2

I think it would be possible to win the super bowl investing 85 percent of the cap on D 15 percent on O. You would fill out the roster with Tyrod Taylor at QB with elite ball security skills and a bunch a gadget play and running offense journeymen. Then bring in Chan to manufacture 23 pts/game with two elite edge rushers giving you short fields all day. 

Edited by Charles Romes

LJ8 is by all accounts SUPER LIKABLE but they are a Run-1st and Run-2nd kind of team.

He obviously has limitations and throwing to the boundary is unfortunately (for them) one of them.

F the Ravens! 😄

Edited by r00tabaga