Do WR’s hate Lamar Jackson ?

On 3/25/2021 at 10:24 AM, Seoulofstone said:

Baltimore isn't an offense that will make you look great as a WR.  But they are a long-standing playoff caliber team. If the dollars are there players won't turn it down.

This has been the theme on the ravens board since they lost to the BIlls. It's a tough one. Do you reject a scheme that has you a perennial contender because you think you are too one dimensional? If so you risk asking Lamar to not play to his best strengths. Do you invest in a position which won't best be used in that scheme?

Quite the dilemma.

Perfectly said. 

News I recently saw was LJ and the other B'more QBs are making a point of emphasis this off season on throwing the deep ball.  He is also taking more snaps under center.  I suspect we are going to see a more typical pro offense out of B'more this year.  I think every team knows you can't run your QB indefinitely.  Sooner or later, he's going to get popped by someone.  Should be interesting to see if they activate all the new toys they drafted and brought in during FA.

Wjag, liking the assessment, but the problem is it took an incredible overachiever and worker nut like Allen three years to get there, and he’s not done.

LJ has a long way to go and not showing his throwing drills sounds more like he is behind.  LJ will take a couple of years for him to be great.  He might, but it’s going to take time. Not this year.

How  smart does Beane look now because of 2018 draft! What a wizard 🧙‍♂️!!!! Lamar is a good QB and seems like a great guy but Josh Allen is on a complete other level. 

Edited by wppete

How many times have we seen these pure running qbs come I'm and crush it for 1-3years, and then just fall off the face of the earth. Lamar doesn't scare me, and shouldn't scare anyone else.  He's wasted 3 years not developing his arm and is still a huge question mark. I see him bouncing around the league like Sam Bradford in 2 years. He'll bridge for 4 or 5 teams 

Edited by BillsShredder83

I remember when Aaron Rodgers couldn't win in the playoffs too..

Oh wait...

LOL

But seriously, Lamar is a dangerous QB, and the Ravens were a few plays from being in the AFC Title Game. Bills were the better team, but IMO the Ravens were #3 in a pretty loaded AFC. No reason to change what they are doing. People just want to criticize Lamar because he is unique. 

The Ravens did the smart thing: design an offense totally around him and go all-in. 

Edited by TheFunPolice

12 minutes ago, BillsShredder83 said:

How many times have we seen these pure running qbs come I'm and crush it for 1-3years, and then just fall off the face of the earth. Lamar doesn't scare me, and shouldn't scare anyone else.  He's wasted 3 years not developing his arm and is still a huge question mark. I see him bouncing around the league like Sam Bradford in 2 years. He'll bridge for 4 or 5 teams 

I think he sticks in Baltimore. He is too dynamic of an athlete and by all accounts a great guy. I'm not scared of Lamar, but I think he is good enough to be one of 32 starters in the NFL.

He will be successful as long as the Ravens build around him. His skill set is sooooo elite its hard not to believe in him. I think he is an effective enough passer to be a starter. But he will never win games purely on his arm, he just hasn't developed enough in that department 

• Like (+1) 1

There is such a fine line between winning and losing in the playoffs. 

Browns, Colts and Ravens ALL could easily have advanced further last year, except for a few plays here and there that cost them. 

In that scenario, a wild card like Lamar can strike a defense at any time. The Ravens are never out of it with him, and that's worth a lot. 

Lamar can do nothing for 3 quarters then suddenly become unstoppable. He's a special and unique talent. 

1 hour ago, wppete said:

How  smart does Beane look now because of 2018 draft! What a wizard 🧙‍♂️!!!! Lamar is a good QB and seems like a great guy but Josh Allen is on a complete other level. 

They are different QBs, for sure.

But, over the last 2 seasons, LJ has thrown for more TDs (62 vs 57), fewer INTs (15 vs 19), a higher completion % (65 vs 64) and a higher rating than Josh.  Plus the 2200 yards rushing...

LJ had a tougher year last season.  Will see what happens this year.

1 minute ago, Mr. WEO said:

But, over the last 2 seasons, LJ has thrown for more TDs (62 vs 57), fewer INTs (15 vs 19), a higher completion % (65 vs 64) and a higher rating than Josh.  Plus the 2200 yards rushing...

Lamar is really good, and I like to see football teams play the game in different ways. It's what makes football so much fun to watch, follow, and discuss. 

• Agree 2

13 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

If you were building a team right now and had to choose between Josh or Lamar who do you build around?

25 minutes ago, TheFunPolice said:

Browns, Colts and Ravens ALL could easily have advanced further last year, except for a few plays here and there that cost them. 

In that scenario, a wild card like Lamar can strike a defense at any time. The Ravens are never out of it with him, and that's worth a lot. 

Lamar can do nothing for 3 quarters then suddenly become unstoppable. He's a special and unique talent. 

Truth.

the play before the pick 6.  Ravens had a wide open target standing in the end zone.

I think Lamar just didn’t have the time because Hughes got in there.  Hughes takes .5 seconds longer to get there...it’s a tied game and who knows...

41 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

This is the last season you are going to be able to say this barring injury.

• Like (+1) 1

46 minutes ago, TheFunPolice said:

I disagree with this.  They are out of the game if down a couple of scores.  They are built to keep to keep the game close but you saw in the playoffs last year and the games against the chiefs he can't pass effectively if needed to get the team back in the game. 

• Agree 1

49 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

I understand your point with these numbers but they really don't tell the whole story.

Allen also had 256 more pass attempts than LJ as well as 1787 more passing yards over the two years so you would likely expect a lower completion % as well as more turnovers.  The fact that is was only a difference of 4 turnovers with 256 more pass attempts is pretty good.

Allen also has 900ish rushing yards in that time frame.  Not Lamar numbers but still decent for a QB.

Again, not taking away from LJ has done, he's a hell of an athlete but just think he's going to be a great runner playing QB until he develops his passing ability (similar to what Josh did over the last 3 years).