Huddle and Flow podcast: Brandon Beane in the Catbird Seat

Talked about drafting BPA. I.e would take a LB if he was the best player there even after signing Milano because good players help your team and you can’t predict injuries. At this point in regime not drafting for need. 

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 5
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Talked about drafting BPA. I.e would take a LB if he was the best player there even after signing Milano because good players help your team and you can’t predict injuries. At this point in regime not drafting for need. 

And this is what we should do. If BPA is OL, you take OL. If BPA is S, you take S. If BPA is RB, you take RB. If BPA is LB, you take LB. If BPA is CB, you take CB. You can't go wrong taking BPA. I believe that is one of the things that set Ozzie Newsome apart from the rest of the GM's in the NFL. If you go back and look at his drafts and compare them to the rosters at the time, they always seemed to be going BPA in their eyes. 

• Like (+1) 3

Talked about Pats moves. Thinks Cam will be better and that he thinks Covid bothered him more than people realize. He said Bills really liked both of the TEs they signed but out of their price range. Expecting the gronk/Hernandez offense 

He said they do look at acquiring players specifically to counter what divisional opponents are doing 

Edited by YoloinOhio

On Josh Allen extension, the guys asked of his agent will slow play that because of the new tv deal. He discussed the experience signing cam in Carolina and that the first go around the deal didn’t work out and then they did it following year. Has to work for both sides. He will try to get it done this offseason. Sooner the better so they can plan around it but there needs to be comfort level on both sides or will wait. Does not want to have to use franchise tag. Wants him to be happy and a deal where he can still put talent around him. Says Josh is a competitor and isn’t all about himself. 

They are doing a weight loss competition on the staff between now and the draft. They paired up a small guy and a big guy. Poor Daboll. 

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Haha (+1) 4

16 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Technically that’s true.  But Beane’s actions have shown he trades up in the early rounds to get BPA at an area of need.  

7 minutes ago, BuffaloRebound said:

Technically that’s true.  But Beane’s actions have shown he trades up in the early rounds to get BPA at an area of need.  

He insinuated that is more necessary early in a new regime as you are building out a team on both sides 

1 hour ago, H2o said:

And this is what we should do. If BPA is OL, you take OL. If BPA is S, you take S. If BPA is RB, you take RB. If BPA is LB, you take LB. If BPA is CB, you take CB. You can't go wrong taking BPA. I believe that is one of the things that set Ozzie Newsome apart from the rest of the GM's in the NFL. If you go back and look at his drafts and compare them to the rosters at the time, they always seemed to be going BPA in their eyes. 

Ozzie was a good one.  But Jimmy Johnson targeted the guys he wanted and moved around in the draft to secure them.  Moving up and down.  While Ozzie has two SBs just like Johnson, Johnson did his in a much shorter span.   It seems like Beane is more like Johnson based on how he moves up in the draft.  Also seven guys won't make our roster so a move up makes sense for a player Beane likes.   

4 minutes ago, buffalostu2 said:

Ozzie was a good one.  But Jimmy Johnson targeted the guys he wanted and moved around in the draft to secure them.  Moving up and down.  While Ozzie has two SBs just like Johnson, Johnson did his in a much shorter span.   It seems like Beane is more like Johnson based on how he moves up in the draft.  Also seven guys won't make our roster so a move up makes sense for a player Beane likes.   

Johnson also had the assistance of the ridiculous pile of picks he got from fleecing everyone with the Hershel Walker trade. Sorry I just still hate the man :)

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

They are doing a weight loss competition on the staff between now and the draft. They paired up a small guy and a big guy. Poor Daboll. 

Oh no!  According to Josh Allen, Daboll is another Uber-competitor on the team and in a previous weight-loss competition starved himself and even dehydrated to lose weight a la "Biggest Loser"

Those are horrible health practices.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, H2o said:

At some point, "BPA" has to marry with the overall development needs of the team.   Part of my issue with this is I feel there's intrinsically a subjective element when rating players across different positions.   But to build, maintain, and improve a team, at the end of the day you can't get great and deep at 2 or 3 positions while shallow and old at others.  You HAVE TO, to my way of thinking, consider the overall structure of the team.

• Like (+1) 1

47 minutes ago, 34-78-83 said:

Johnson also had the assistance of the ridiculous pile of picks he got from fleecing everyone with the Hershel Walker trade. Sorry I just still hate the man :)

I love it.  I hated the guy too.  I have a philosophy though, when I hate someone like that I read up on them.  In this case I read his book and he is a pretty smart but odd guy.  The picks were one thing, but he also acquired players who if cut received compensation.  It might have been the best architected trade in history.   The Vikings were also not allowed to sign the players after cut by the Cowboys.   Different topic all together but I liked his strategy as a GM.

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, buffalostu2 said:

I love it.  I hated the guy too.  I have a philosophy though, when I hate someone like that I read up on them.  In this case I read his book and he is a pretty smart but odd guy.  The picks were one thing, but he also acquired players who if cut received compensation.  It might have been the best architected trade in history.   The Vikings were also not allowed to sign the players after cut by the Cowboys.   Different topic all together but I liked his strategy as a GM.

Lincoln had that philosophy.  He said:  "I don't like that man.  I must get to know him better."

• Like (+1) 1

I think taking the old BPA is a semi-myth. For instance, if a QB was available at 30, and was the BPA, would the Bills take him?

Of course not.

I do believe BPA is a great philosophy in theory, but if you draft without an eye on your depth chart that can be hurtful to the team.

Edited by Beast
  • Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Beast said:

I think taking the old BPA is a semi-myth. For instance, if a QB was available at 30, and was the BPA, would the Bills take him?

Of course not.

I do believe BPA is a great philosophy in theory, but if you draft without an eye on your depth chart that can be hurtful to the team.

I think it’s assumed that QB isn’t part of that process right now. And certain positions like kicker and punter would never be BPA in the 1st or 2nd anyway. But outside of those I’m not sure there are any others off the table. 

Edited by YoloinOhio