Who thinks teaching is a hard job?

Is teaching a hard job?   

35 members have voted

1. 1. Is teaching a hard job?

• Yes
    • No

16 hours ago, BillStime said:

Appalling

I can not imagine what this principal was thinking, it is bashed into our heads that we do not physically touch a child, even a teen, unless it is a safety issue. I understand she is probably at the end of her rope with this year but this is so far over the line I am wondering if she will have criminal charges 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Shocked 1

You would think that she could see how awful this tweet sounds to parents.

Look at you pretending that you defend teachers and not layers of union bureaucracy.

36 minutes ago, B-Man said:

You would think that she could see how awful this tweet sounds to parents.

Look at you pretending that you defend teachers and not layers of union bureaucracy.

I actually recieved an email from Randi today despite not being part of the union. If they would simply stop giving so much money to political candidates I would join, but she often speaks as if a $2000 raise will offset an increase in taxes of $3000. At my school there are a lot of good teachers who are part of the union but I can say without question that all of the bad ones are part of the union.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Many of the parents didn’t know teachers have been working this entire time.

The PTA at a school here has a “Welcome back Teachers” banner in the hallway and the teachers have been there the entire time. They never left.

51 minutes ago, Buffalo Timmy said:

I actually recieved an email from Randi today despite not being part of the union. If they would simply stop giving so much money to political candidates I would join, but she often speaks as if a $2000 raise will offset an increase in taxes of $3000. At my school there are a lot of good teachers who are part of the union but I can say without question that all of the bad ones are part of the union.

Interesting..  there is a corruption cycle where the unions donate to politicians and then politicians pass packages that pay money to unions. So think of it as an investment 😉 

6 minutes ago, The Governor said:

Many of the parents didn’t know teachers have been working this entire time.

The PTA at a school here has a “Welcome back Teachers” banner in the hallway and the teachers have been there the entire time. They never left.

I think that the parents knew if their children were receiving instruction from school teachers or not.

Or you could provide a link for that absurd claim.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, B-Man said:

I think that the parents knew if their children were receiving instruction from school teachers or not.

Or you could provide a link for that absurd claim.

No. They thought they were home this entire time when they were in the building teaching virtual/hybrid. They were only home on snow days or when students tested positive and they were forced to quarantine. Teachers were “in the building” almost the entire time.

Edited by The Governor

11 minutes ago, The Governor said:

No. They thought they were home this entire time when they were in the building teaching virtual/hybrid. They were only home on snow days or when students tested positive and they were forced to quarantine. Teachers were “in the building” almost the entire time.

No one thought that.

Link ?

6 minutes ago, B-Man said:

No one thought that.

Link ?

Should I drive to the school and take a picture of the banner? Why would there be a link for something like that? I don’t imagine it’s a national news story.

Perhaps you could “research” it for me?

Teaching is a job I know I couldn't do - I simply don't have the patience for it.  Knowing that, I chose not to go into the field.  

As an outsider though, it seems like teachers as a whole spend a lot of time complaining about their job and/or looking for praise because they chose their profession.  Maybe colleges don't do  a good enough job preparing students for the profession, but you should have a general idea of the income potential, student debt, demands on your schedule, emotional/psychological toll, etc before you start full time.  The reality is that most jobs now aren't 9-5, 40 hours per week.  Nearly every professional I know takes their work home, works early/late/weekends too. As a society we're all cramming to get more done in less time so that we can buy things we don't need, with money we don't have, to impress people we don't like (stolen from somewhere).   I write this knowing it will be taken as a flaming insult by some, but it's simply my worldly observation.

Edited by DasNootz

59 minutes ago, DasNootz said:

Teaching is a job I know I couldn't do - I simply don't have the patience for it.  Knowing that, I chose not to go into the field.  

As an outsider though, it seems like teachers as a whole spend a lot of time complaining about their job and/or looking for praise because they chose their profession.  Maybe colleges don't do  a good enough job preparing students for the profession, but you should have a general idea of the income potential, student debt, demands on your schedule, emotional/psychological toll, etc before you start full time.  The reality is that most jobs now aren't 9-5, 40 hours per week.  Nearly every professional I know takes their work home, works early/late/weekends too. As a society we're all cramming to get more done in less time so that we can buy things we don't need, with money we don't have to, to impress people we don't like (stolen from somewhere).   I write this knowing it will be taken as a flaming insult by some, but it's simply my worldly observation.

I went to culinary school.  I can't tell you the number of instructors who asked us "why are you in this profession?  You will be working crazy long hours, under incredible stress in some of the worst working conditions imaginable!"  They were right however I enjoyed it for most of my 20 years in the kitchens after I graduated.  I rarely complained (well my wife may disagree) and when I no longer loved it I took it upon my self to make a major career change.  I agree with you. Teaching is a noble profession that seems to employ people that, for whatever reason, appear to have no idea what they were getting in to. 

• Like (+1) 1

On 5/2/2021 at 8:46 PM, BillStime said:

Appalling

It is still appalling, and I disagree with it.

but  as Paul Harvey was famous for saying, now it’s time “For The Rest of the Story.”

The prosecuting attorney for Hendry County announced on Friday that the principal will not face any criminal charges for her conduct. Corporal punishment is permissible under the law in Florida, although it is prohibited by the school district where the principal worked.

But the reason the swats across the backside are considered by the prosecutor as having been corporal punishment and not “child abuse” is…  because the girl’s mother asked the principal to discipline the child on the mother’s behalf.

Apparently, the girl had broken a computer screen at school, and the principal called the mother to discuss having the mother pay something towards the cost of repair.

The mother told the principal that the little girl had been breaking things at home as well, but when the mother threatened to punish the girl for her actions, the six-year-old would threaten to “DCF” her — a reference to the Florida Department of Children and Families. The mother told the Principal she had not been able to discipline the girl for her misbehavior out of fear she would be turned in to the police, so she asked if the Principal would discipline the girl on her behalf.

The Principal agreed to do so, but only if the mother was present for the event.

Something not noticed in the video posted on the internet — which may have been doctored in some small way — is that the mother tells the principal “Thank You” when the episode ended. From the totality of evidence that was gathered, the prosecutor concluded that the mother’s failure to attempt to intervene was not “acquiescence” on her part, but rather was an expression of actual consent.

Police who interviewed the child said her version was consistent with the conclusion that the mother had asked the Principal to act on her behalf.

https://redstate.com/shipwreckedcrew/2021/05/08/follow-up-on-the-florida-principal-who-paddled-the-six-year-old-girl-your-mommy-made-me-do-it-n376535

5 minutes ago, B-Man said:

but  as Paul Harvey was famous for saying, now it’s time “For The Rest of the Story.”

The prosecuting attorney for Hendry County announced on Friday that the principal will not face any criminal charges for her conduct. Corporal punishment is permissible under the law in Florida, although it is prohibited by the school district where the principal worked.

But the reason the swats across the backside are considered by the prosecutor as having been corporal punishment and not “child abuse” is…  because the girl’s mother asked the principal to discipline the child on the mother’s behalf.

Apparently, the girl had broken a computer screen at school, and the principal called the mother to discuss having the mother pay something towards the cost of repair.

The mother told the principal that the little girl had been breaking things at home as well, but when the mother threatened to punish the girl for her actions, the six-year-old would threaten to “DCF” her — a reference to the Florida Department of Children and Families. The mother told the Principal she had not been able to discipline the girl for her misbehavior out of fear she would be turned in to the police, so she asked if the Principal would discipline the girl on her behalf.

The Principal agreed to do so, but only if the mother was present for the event.

Something not noticed in the video posted on the internet — which may have been doctored in some small way — is that the mother tells the principal “Thank You” when the episode ended. From the totality of evidence that was gathered, the prosecutor concluded that the mother’s failure to attempt to intervene was not “acquiescence” on her part, but rather was an expression of actual consent.

Police who interviewed the child said her version was consistent with the conclusion that the mother had asked the Principal to act on her behalf.

https://redstate.com/shipwreckedcrew/2021/05/08/follow-up-on-the-florida-principal-who-paddled-the-six-year-old-girl-your-mommy-made-me-do-it-n376535

Administrators who acquiesce to a parent’s request to inflict physical pain as a disciplinary action instead of working with the mother to find an alternate solutions is in the wrong line of work.

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, B-Man said:

The principal still messed up but this kind of parenting is not surprising. I once had a mother email me to discuss with her daughters boyfriend that a "gentleman does not go into a young girls bedroom" because the mom did not want to tell her daughter no because their is only the one reason for saying no. I declined to get involved.

• Thank you (+1) 1

21 hours ago, BillStime said:

Administrators who acquiesce to a parent’s request to inflict physical pain as a disciplinary action instead of working with the mother to find an alternate solutions is in the wrong line of work.

But not a criminal case wouldn't you agree?

• Agree 1

On 5/9/2021 at 9:39 PM, BillStime said:

I have a bachelor's in biochemistry and work in cardiac research.  I went this morning and looked at the teacher's salary for our school district of two teachers close to my age also with bachelor degrees.  They are making mid to upper 80's and this data is two years old.  That is significantly more than I make.  And only working 9 months a year.  25% less working days.

Not shedding a tear for their situation and they don't complain about it.  I wonder if this study done by a pro-union think tank looks at weekly wages after retirement and union dues are pulled out?   Because those lower take home wages significantly.