My Draft Thoughts

wagne591

We have a pretty good roster as it sits right now and there is now way 7 draft prospects make the roster or even come close. This is what I would do if I were Beane. Here are the Bills picks as it stands now:

Round Pick

1           30    Bills original selection

2           61    Bills original selection

3           93    Bills original selection

5           161 Acquired from Raiders for Zay Jones

5           174 Bills original selection

6           213 Bills original selection

7        *236 Acquired from Panthers for Marshall Newhouse

I would pin point 2 or three guys that you love and you think would help this team out day 1 (either by creating competition or starting) and use all the draft pick to maneuver the board to make it work. 

I would trade pick 30 and 93 to move up in the first round ( you wont get a top 10 but you can probably get as high as 18 to the mid 20's

I would trade pick 61 and 161 to move up in the second round (you might get as high as pick 45 by doing this) 

you could use the last three picks 174, 213, and 236 to maneuver in the later rounds. and if he didn't trade any of those picks the picks would be camp bodies and we would draft 5 guys instead of 7. It would also give us 2 picks in the top 45 instead of 4 picks in the top 161 and only one pick in the top 45. 

I am just playing around here but it would be nice. Plus if you were one of those guys drafted by this team rounds 5-7 you probably know in your heart you have little chance of playing on the opening day roster

• Like (+1) 4

3 minutes ago, wagne591 said:

We have a pretty good roster as it sits right now and there is now way 7 draft prospects make the roster or even come close. This is what I would do if I were Beane. Here are the Bills picks as it stands now:

Round Pick

I would pin point 2 or three guys that you love and you think would help this team out day 1 (either by creating competition or starting) and use all the draft pick to maneuver the board to make it work. 

I would trade pick 30 and 93 to move up in the first round ( you wont get a top 10 but you can probably get as high as 18 to the mid 20's

I would trade pick 61 and 161 to move up in the second round (you might get as high as pick 45 by doing this) 

you could use the last three picks 174, 213, and 236 to maneuver in the later rounds. and if he didn't trade any of those picks the picks would be camp bodies and we would draft 5 guys instead of 7. It would also give us 2 picks in the top 45 instead of 4 picks in the top 161 and only one pick in the top 45. 

I am just playing around here but it would be nice. Plus if you were one of those guys drafted by this team rounds 5-7 you probably know in your heart you have little chance of playing on the opening day roster

I’m thinking they move back and draft for depth on the roster. Just read that Addison restructure makes him a FA next season. Unless a Surtain/Collins/Horn drops to 30, I want the Bills to trade back. No 1st rd RB please

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

20 minutes ago, wagne591 said:

Round Pick

How (and why?) can you even consider ANY of this without knowing who is on the board? 

Edited by Augie
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Well, most draftnicks are saying no DEs will be worth it at pick 30 and that we should trade up to try and get one. That makes sense to me (if it is true and it is possible. Who knows though? I could still see a better veteran  DE than anyone we could draft at 22 becoming available refusing to renegotiate or something.....

1 hour ago, CaptnCoke11 said:

I think Beane will look to trade down.  Need in infuse as much young cheap talent on the roster as we can.  

You could be completely correct in your thoughts, this isn't to be construed as a "right/wrong" thing...

But, for devils advocate if nothing else, we retained nearly our entire roster (thanks Covid). Wouldn't it be a time to sell out for an impact rookie to push the roster over the top if one existed?

Harris/Etienne/Pitts are the names that come to mind. Just saying it's set up to go either way which is a great place.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Vomit 1

1 hour ago, Solomon Grundy said:

I’m thinking they move back and draft for depth on the roster. Just read that Addison restructure makes him a FA next season. Unless a Surtain/Collins/Horn drops to 30, I want the Bills to trade back. No 1st rd RB please

Personally I think the opposite. I think they’re using free agency to cover holes, they’ll move up in the draft to get the guys they really like. Seems to be Beane’s MO .

But I do agree no RB in round 1 please. 

Edited by Dkollidas

2 hours ago, CaptnCoke11 said:

I think Beane will look to trade down.  Need in infuse as much young cheap talent on the roster as we can.  

Has he ever traded down?  Ever?  No way he trades down this year.  I expect at least two trades up.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, CaptnCoke11 said:

We don't have enough open roster spots to fill if we stand pat and draft where we stand.  Trading back and accumulating more picks just so we can cut these guys later does not make much sense to me.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 4

I could see trading back and getting some ammo for next year. Lots of 1 year deals in place. Especially due to the current roster and not having a lot of spots to fill. Plus I think it was tough to really do any good evaluations this year for college players. Really only a few spots to potentially look for upgrades DT1, CB2 and maybe RB...

I’d rather trade up for better talent than down.  We have a decent roster now.  We’d have to find trade partners and that is not always easy.  Last year there were very few trades across the league due to the situation, and this year there isn’t even a combine where people are on equal footing with the same surfaces, etc.

Don’t be surprised if we pick where we stand.  We are going to have to rely on game tape for our picks.

Edited by machine gun kelly
  • Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Southern_Bills said:

You could be completely correct in your thoughts, this isn't to be construed as a "right/wrong" thing...

But, for devils advocate if nothing else, we retained nearly our entire roster (thanks Covid). Wouldn't it be a time to sell out for an impact rookie to push the roster over the top if one existed?

Harris/Etienne/Pitts are the names that come to mind. Just saying it's set up to go either way which is a great place.

I'm not sure if we could get Pitts by trading our entire draft.

• Agree 4

7 hours ago, wagne591 said:

I don't think this is correct.

Using drafttek value chart 30 and 93 can get us to 23 maybe. You would need 30 and 61 to get to 18.

The other one is total nonsense. Pick 161 gets you from 61 to 58 based on the chart. Again, maybe throwing that pick 93 in might get you from 61 to 45.

I know it is only chart but it is pretty accurate in my experience. No way in hell gets you mid 5th round pick up 16 spots in round 2.

Otherwise I agree that in general we should probably draft less players than 7 and move up a little bit here and there. To me most important is to draft 3 guys in top 90. Maybe move down from 30 then use ammo to move up in round 2 or 3. But it all depends on what happens on draft day.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

8 hours ago, CaptnCoke11 said:

I agree seeing as there are a few players getting up n age he will definitely be looking to get younger in some areas but i think a really good cover corner in the first round could do wonders for not only the secondary but also the front 4 on the D line .

If they could get another Tre White in the draft that would be awesome in so many ways that along with the new DE (which i don't know how to spell his name) and already investing in Epenesa, Johnson, Oliver, Jackson and who ever else they get this year the D should be pretty solid in the coming years . 

I would spend the 2x5 and 6/7 on O Linemen that can be developed on the PS if they need it

The first 3 picks would be BPA except WR/S where I think the Bills are set

Edited by JMF2006
if they need it

2 hours ago, Bill from NYC said:

I'm not sure if we could get Pitts by trading our entire draft.

You're likely correct, I'm not advocating one certain player, it may be a CB. Just saying Beane may have that type of mindset since he isn't trying to "fill out" a roster so to speak.

• Like (+1) 1

I'm all for this. I totally understand what you are saying. This team doesn't have too many glaring holes. Of the things we need the most evident, in my mind, are pass rush, CB2, younger on OL, and DL, and TE. You aren't going to hit on all draft picks, but have a better shot at doing so with higher picks. Beane has been able to find some good value later one, but he's been good overall, giving him a better likelihood of nailing the higher rated picks. Use the draft ammo to target the guys you love and complete the team

People keep saying we need a CB2 but I’m not sure why.  Wallace has been OK and Jackson is going to get a shot after showing promise his rookie year.  Bottom line with our safeties and Tre on the other side, whoever is at that CB spot will be picked on.

I would like to see a big LB/ S type hybrid to go up against multiple TE offenses.  

• Like (+1) 1

I rarely post but on here all the time. It is easy to go down the rabbit hole or out in the weeds on so many possible draft scenarios - and I plan on exploring every single one lol

The year we traded down for Tre White -  we had all been in a sports bar to watch it and were excited we picked up an additional 1st rounder and still had the pick to root for same night.  Being on EST I am already wondering how I'll feel waiting up until late of round one and they decide to trade out of the round? Selfishly I  hope a highly rated guy falls to us at 30...but then I will stay up for a while reading all about him lol

What would make a trade down better to get some sleep is if a team trades us their draft picks plus a player we like (the way we traded Cordy Glenn). This only works if we go into the draft with some cap room left.  

My strategy?  ....... Trade down from #30 and up from #61 to get two players in the top 50.  With these get a fast and pass catching RB and a CB.

Trade the 3rd round pick and a 5th round pick for a high 2nd round pick for next year. It is expected to be a better draft and would give us another draft with 2 picks in the35-50 range.  We would also use our 5.6.7 round picks this year for camp bodies or high ceiling players.