The Lesson in the Sabres Horrendous Season

For you non-Sabres followers who do not know how fragile the Bills success is:

Sabres beat reporter Paul Hamilton recently stated on WGR that he knows that the Pegula's regret giving McBeane as much authority as they have.......despite the success........so not to expect them to do the same for anyone with the Sabres.

That is simply a scary thought coming from a well connected, veteran beat reporter...........so let's hope they stay on good terms with McBeane.    

Keep in mind that the Sabres are the worst organization in north american major pro sports............by a lot........it gets no worse than the Pegula lead Sabres..........which I believe was another statistical takeaway from that 538 article.     

If you don't think the Bills success can be undone by meddling from the stewards of the worst franchise around............hey, when John Butler quit the vast majority of this very board thought that there was no way that the organization could fall out of contention.    The very thought was a big joke on this board.  10 playoff trips and 4 SB appearances in 12 years.........and owner who seemed willing to pay whenever his GM asked.  

Ralph was bordering on beloved by those(myself included) who hadn't really suffered thru his terrible late 60's-mid 80's stewardship. 

The ship lost it's rudder when Butler and co. left town.........and it soon became obvious AGAIN just how bad of a football man Ralph was.

And,  bless Terry Pegula for his generosity to WNY..........but he makes Ralph look like Dan Rooney by comparison as a man of the sport.    

Edited by BADOLBILZ
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Sabres beat reporter Paul Hamilton recently stated on WGR that he knows that the Pegula's regret giving McBeane as much authority as they have.......despite the success........so not to expect them to do the same for anyone with the Sabres.

That is simply a scary thought coming from a well connected, veteran beat reporter...........so let's hope they stay on good terms with McBeane.    

Keep in mind that the Sabres are the worst organization in north american major pro sports............by a lot........it gets no worse than the Pegula lead Sabres..........which I believe was another statistical takeaway from that 538 article.     

If you don't think the Bills success can be undone by meddling from the stewards of the worst franchise around............hey, when John Butler quit the vast majority of this very board thought that there was no way that the organization could fall out of contention.    The very thought was a big joke on this board.  10 playoff trips and 4 SB appearances in 12 years.........and owner who seemed willing to pay whenever his GM asked.  

Ralph was bordering on beloved by those(myself included) who hadn't really suffered thru his terrible late 60's-mid 80's stewardship. 

The ship lost it's rudder when Butler and co. left town.........and it soon became obvious AGAIN just how bad of a football man Ralph was.

And,  bless Terry Pegula for his generosity to WNY..........but he makes Ralph look like Dan Rooney by comparison as a man of the sport.    

We’re all going to die! 😳

3 minutes ago, RochesterLifer said:

PERFECT response.

The origin of the "DOOOOOOOOOOMED"  thing on TSW was people who were making light of the Bills pending salary cap dilemma and general outlook in the wake of the Music City Miracle. :lol:

The 17 year sentence of doooooooom.....aka "the drought"......went fast for me because the tailgates were awesome............but for those that watch from their couch and don't have that communitas aspect to enjoy and just live and die with the results........I'm told it was kinda' rough.😉

26 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

In May of last year after another disastrous season, Kim gave a condescending press conference where she assured Sabres fans that Jason Botterill would be returning, saying, “ We have a little bit more information than maybe a fan does…”  

The next month the Pegulas fired Botterill.

So what was the point on pissing on the fans?  But that “we know better” attitude seems to pervade the thinking at PSE.  What’s going to happen is likely this: the Bills’ success is only going to confirm to Kim and Terry that everything they touch turns to gold, leading them to try to take leverage back from Beane and McDermott in a couple of years and/or when the team inevitably has an off year.  They have proven with the Sabres that, given the chance, they’ll run a horizontal organization which employs their friends and other unqualified individuals.  They have an addiction to rookie GMs - easier to push around.  They think they know better than the fans.  Their track record with the Sabres shows they have no clue what the hell they are doing.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

Whether the Pegulas regret it or not, they have stepped away from mgmt of the Bills because McBeane can be trusted to let that happen.  The Sabres are no where near that. Regardless of ownership meddling, the people running the Sabres can’t be trusted. A novice football fan can see the difference between the Bills and anyone they play against. The Bills have a QB who can throw the s%it out the football and now, even accurately with receivers who seem always open. Most of thier competition can’t do that. A novice hockey fan can visibly see the difference in play between the Sabres and anyone they play.  A Sabre can’t skate 10 feet with the puck without someone getting all up on thier ass, meanwhile everyone they play against can consistently March right up the center of the rink right to the net untouched.  Point is, although anything can happen during the year, even the novice can visibly see that these two teams are not the same. 

2 minutes ago, bobblehead said:

Whether the Pegulas regret it or not, they have stepped away from mgmt of the Bills because McBeane can be trusted to let that happen.  The Sabres are no where near that. Regardless of ownership meddling, the people running the Sabres can’t be trusted. A novice football fan can see the difference between the Bills and anyone they play against. The Bills have a QB who can throw the s%it out the football and now, even accurately with receivers who seem always open. Most of thier competition can’t do that. A novice hockey fan can visibly see the difference in play between the Sabres and anyone they play.  A Sabre can’t skate 10 feet with the puck without someone getting all up on thier ass, meanwhile everyone they play against can consistently March right up the center of the rink right to the net untouched.  Point is, although anything can happen during the year, even the novice can visibly see that these two teams are not the same. 

That’s kind of a funny way to put it - the Pegulas ARE “the people running the Sabres.”  And they refuse to hire anyone with an actual track record, because of course, they know better.

Edited by Coach Tuesday

28 minutes ago, RochesterLifer said:

Just now, Coach Tuesday said:

That’s kind of a funny way to put it - the Pegulas ARE “the people who run the Sabres.”  And they refuse to hire anyone with an actual track record, because of course, they know better.

I guess what I’m saying is that, even though mcBeane were those same people without a track record at the time, thier situation today is what it is.  I should have said Adams instead of “the people running the Sabres”.  Unfortunately, you’re right about first timers and the Pegulas and our only hope is that they eventually hit on the right people for the Sabres. But I still stand on saying the two teams are not the same. How they got there, though -  yes I agree with you but it is what it is now. 

11 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

That’s kind of a funny way to put it - the Pegulas ARE “the people who run the Sabres.”  And they refuse to hire anyone with an actual track record, because of course, they know better.

Also. I should have realized at the time of the Lafontaine fiasco that there is something seriously wrong there. I wish I knew the real story behind that 

7 minutes ago, bobblehead said:

Also. I should have realized at the time of the Lafontaine fiasco that there is something seriously wrong there. I wish I knew the real story behind that 

Having worked with many family offices - most of them are dysfunctional.  They exist to manage accrued wealth and employ undeserving kin.  That’s it.  The Pegulas aren’t saints.  They run the Bills and Sabres to make money, have fun, and employ their friends and family in the entertainment world.  They basically admitted as much with the whole “maintain our lifestyle” PowerPoint fiasco which was rumored to have caused McDermott to raise an eyebrow (he got a plum extension soon after).  

Family offices are notoriously untrusting of, and harsh with respect to, outsiders.  They don’t want someone coming in and shining a spotlight on the day to day dysfunction and outright nepotism.  LaFontaine came in as a well-connected outsider who couldn’t be bullied and was known to voice his opinions.  He had leverage, his own brand, and other opportunities.  He didn’t need that job.  That he didn’t last long was unsurprising.  And that was the last time they brought in someone from the league establishment to help manage the Sabres.  The results speak for themselves.

Edited by Coach Tuesday
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

How much has the draft lottery format hurt the Sabres?  Worst record and the Oilers get Connor McDavid! How many top 1-2-3 picks have they lost out on because the ping pong balls give a team with a better record a higher pick.  Personally I don’t like this system because it seems more fair to give the worst team the first choice every year.  Lady Luck plays a part too.  This coupled with the fact there are mostly misses in even the first round of the NHL draft.  Much harder to get on the ice than the gridiron.  

1 minute ago, LHS78Billsfan said:

How much has the draft lottery format hurt the Sabres?  Worst record and the Oilers get Connor McDavid! How many top 1-2-3 picks have they lost out on because the ping pong balls give a team with a better record a higher pick.  Personally I don’t like this system because it seems more fair to give the worst team the first choice every year.  Lady Luck plays a part too.  This coupled with the fact there are mostly misses in even the first round of the NHL draft.  Much harder to get on the ice than the gridiron.  

The Sabres have what, 4 recent top 5 picks on their roster in Eichel, Reinhart, Dahlin, Hall.  How many other teams have that?  Lottery ain’t the issue.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, LHS78Billsfan said:

The moment when they lost the McDavid lottery was IMO tied with the MCM......behind wide right.....for the second worst singular moment in time in Buffalo sports history.

But they have still had enough good fortune(and earned draft pick position) in the lottery otherwise where they should be a perennial cup contender anyway.

Posted 29 minutes ago

32 minutes ago,  LHS78Billsfan said: 

The Sabres have what, 4 recent top 5 picks on their roster in Eichel, Reinhart, Dahlin, Hall.  How many other teams have that?  Lottery ain’t the issue.

2020 tied for 6th worst record.  Pick 8

2019 4th worst record.  Pick 7

2017 5th worst record. Pick 8

2015 McDavid

2014 Reinhart taken second (worst record)

point was and maybe it doesn’t explain all of the trouble...but the cumulative effects of not getting lucky in the lottery has had an impact. Doesn’t matter how many top 5 picks you had.  If you had the worst record and missed out on a few number one overall picks it matters.

1 hour ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Having worked with many family offices - most of them are dysfunctional.  They exist to manage accrued wealth and employ undeserving kin.  That’s it.  The Pegulas aren’t saints.  They run the Bills and Sabres to make money, have fun, and employ their friends and family in the entertainment world.  They basically admitted as much with the whole “maintain our lifestyle” PowerPoint fiasco which was rumored to have caused McDermott to raise an eyebrow (he got a plum extension soon after).  

Family offices are notoriously untrusting of, and harsh with respect to, outsiders.  They don’t want someone coming in and shining a spotlight on the day to day dysfunction and outright nepotism.  LaFontaine came in as a well-connected outsider who couldn’t be bullied and was known to voice his opinions.  He had leverage, his own brand, and other opportunities.  He didn’t need that job.  That he didn’t last long was unsurprising.  And that was the last time they brought in someone from the league establishment to help manage the Sabres.  The results speak for themselves.

You’ve got it all figured out and all you had to do was use sweeping generalizations.

• Dislike 2

4 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

This is the second time I have seen this posted in recent days... I respect Hamilton as a an observer of the Sabres...but how the ***** would he know that the Pegula's "regret" giving Beane and McDermott as much authority as they have?  Did either of the Pegulas' tell him this?  

9 hours ago, I'm Spartacus said:

The "lesson" might be, that the Pegula's finally fell into LUCK concerning the Bills (McDermott & Bean).

Prior to them the Pegula's were striking out with their GM & Coaching search.

With the Sabres, they have not hired the right people to run the hockey organization. Are they still hoping for those "lucky" hires???

All I know is that IMHO they do NOT know how to run a sports franchise, particularly the Sabres. Thank God they struck gold with McBean!

You have hit on only half the equation.

The key distinction between the Bills and Sabres is that the Pegulas do not fancy themselves football people, so they have stayed the F out of the way in Orchard Park.

They do fancy themselves hockey people, and are constantly meddling in internal Sabres affairs.

As long as Pegula operates the Sabres in this manner, they will be terrible.

9 hours ago, I'm Spartacus said:

Rex Ryan and Anthony Lynn, then McDermott

Doug Whaley, then Beane

Folks have really short memories around here, don't they?

LMFAO

12 hours ago, IronyAbounds said:

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/everything-that-could-go-wrong-for-the-buffalo-sabres-has-gone-wrong/?ex_cid=538twitter

No, this isn't a post about the Sabres, per se, it is the cautionary tale for the Bills. As the Sabres' horrendous season starkly demonstrates, improvement and optimistic signs of growth in one season do automatically translate to continued improvement and growth in the next. Everyone expected the Sabres to be better this year, but as the article points out a multitude of factors, some random, others not, obliterated the hoped for playoff push. Similarly, the reasonable expectation is that the Bills will be better this year and could easily be Super Bowl contenders. Yet, all it might take is a single injury (e.g., Allen) and the best laid plans are demolished. Covid could also continue to have some effect on the season. You always have to have an eye on the future in the NFL or any sport, but it is also important to seize every opportunity to win now (which is why the KC loss was hard to stomach). It's a difficult balancing act, and so far Beane seems to have done a good job. I'm very hopeful for 2021, but fingers crossed that the Sabres' experience won't be repeated by the Bills.

Funny how you could said the same thing

about the Bills and Josh Allen in 2019, before the start of the 2020 season.  Many people did!  How did that work out?

8 hours ago, bobblehead said:

Lafontaine quit as an advisor to the Islanders within weeks too.  Maybe it’s something with him.  Maybe Patty can’t take having a boss.