The Lesson in the Sabres Horrendous Season

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/everything-that-could-go-wrong-for-the-buffalo-sabres-has-gone-wrong/?ex_cid=538twitter

No, this isn't a post about the Sabres, per se, it is the cautionary tale for the Bills. As the Sabres' horrendous season starkly demonstrates, improvement and optimistic signs of growth in one season do automatically translate to continued improvement and growth in the next. Everyone expected the Sabres to be better this year, but as the article points out a multitude of factors, some random, others not, obliterated the hoped for playoff push. Similarly, the reasonable expectation is that the Bills will be better this year and could easily be Super Bowl contenders. Yet, all it might take is a single injury (e.g., Allen) and the best laid plans are demolished. Covid could also continue to have some effect on the season. You always have to have an eye on the future in the NFL or any sport, but it is also important to seize every opportunity to win now (which is why the KC loss was hard to stomach). It's a difficult balancing act, and so far Beane seems to have done a good job. I'm very hopeful for 2021, but fingers crossed that the Sabres' experience won't be repeated by the Bills.

• Vomit 7
  • Haha (+1) 2

I think most realistic Sabres fans thought the absolute best this squad could do was “hang around” the last playoff spots. The core is rotten and has been for some time. I see the point you’re making, but I don’t think this years’ Sabres are a good way to illustrate it. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 3
  • Thank you (+1) 2

The Sabres are at an historically ridiculous level of suckitude.  The Bills were NEVER that bad.  Mediocre, but not absolute bottom of the NFL bad, as the Sabres are bottom of the NHL BAD!!  Eichel should be traded for a real NHL goalie, tear it down to the studs, and rebuild around what's between the pipes.  There are no parallels between the Bills and Sabres, none.

Edited by Freddie's Dead
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

6 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

I buy Center Ice every year and I have watched most of their games this season and will watch them play the Penguins tonight!

I agree with your reply!

I have you beat, I have Center Ice, watch every game AND will not sleep through tonight's game

• Haha (+1) 1

I agree with your premise.  There doesn't have to be a direct correlation between the Sabres and the Bills.....the idea is that....things happen.  Every single team in any sport can have a season that is below expetcations. The difference is....'below expectations for the Sabres turns out to be historically bad because of where they started from.  The Bills are not likely to have that kind of season...but, there is always a chance they are going to be a certain level below expectations.  With that team it could be a .500 record and fighting for a wild card spot. I'm not saying that is my prediction, but it wouldn't be out of the realm of possibilities.

The "lesson" might be, that the Pegula's finally fell into LUCK concerning the Bills (McDermott & Bean).

Prior to them the Pegula's were striking out with their GM & Coaching search.

With the Sabres, they have not hired the right people to run the hockey organization. Are they still hoping for those "lucky" hires???

All I know is that IMHO they do NOT know how to run a sports franchise, particularly the Sabres. Thank God they struck gold with McBean!

• Eyeroll 1
  • Dislike 2

Yes. McDermott's first speech during training camp will probably focus on let's not be like the Sabres.

He'll just make sure Terry and Kim aren't in earshot.

7 minutes ago, I'm Spartacus said:

The "lesson" might be, that the Pegula's finally fell into LUCK concerning the Bills (McDermott & Bean).

Prior to them the Pegula's were striking out with their GM & Coaching search.

With the Sabres, they have not hired the right people to run the hockey organization. Are they still hoping for those "lucky" hires???

All I know is that IMHO they do NOT know how to run a sports franchise, particularly the Sabres. Thank God they struck gold with McBean!

The Pegula's have made one GM hire (Beane) with the Bills and two HC hires (Ryan and McDermott)  so I don't know where your information is coming from that they were "striking out" with their HC and GM searches.

And, what are you basing their "LUCK" of getting it right with Beane and McDermott on?

The luck narrative you and others throw around is straight up bull####.

Edited by Beast
  • Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Beast said:

Yes. McDermott's first speech during training camp will probably focus on let's not be like the Sabres.

He'll just make sure Terry and Kim aren't in earshot.

The Pegula's have made one GM hire (Beane) with the Bills and two HC hires (Ryan and McDermott)  so I don't know where your information is coming from that they were "striking out" with their HC and GM searches.

Rex Ryan and Anthony Lynn, then McDermott

Doug Whaley, then Beane

• Eyeroll 1

38 minutes ago, Freddie's Dead said:

The Sabres are at an historically ridiculous level of suckitude.  The Bills were NEVER that bad.  Mediocre, but not absolute bottom of the NFL bad, as the Sabres are bottom of the NHL BAD!!  Eichel should be traded for a real NHL goalie, tear it down to the studs, and rebuild around what's between the pipes.  There are no parallels between the Bills and Sabres, none.

How far back do you want to go? The Bills have been at the absolute bottom many times

• Like (+1) 2

56 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

I doubt extremely that the Bills will be sucking sewer water at the bottom of the NFL like the Sabres are in the NHL.

I think Trubisky assures us of that IMO. Bills GM Brandon Beane making moves that spells/smells Championship baby! 

McD's going to coach the D up regardless...

On a side note the difference in how make up games are scheduled are much more harder to handle in the NHL.  (vs NFL)

Edited by Figster

7 minutes ago, I'm Spartacus said:

Rex Ryan and Anthony Lynn, then McDermott

Doug Whaley, then Beane

Lynn? Give me a feeaking break. He took over as interim. Doug Whaley was on board when Terry Pegula took the team over.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1