Under The Radar Pass Rush

9 hours ago, NewEra said:

Efe Obada is under the radar. I really think this move will pay off. It’ll really push Bam to get on the fast track too. 

hughes

addison

Epenesa

Obada

Bam

not the best DE room in the league, but I believe Obada is an improvement over Trent. 

Do we invest in a pass rusher in the first 3 rounds or just roll with these 5 and some other low cost free agents?  

Those 5 guys at the prime pass rush position on the team are a concern to me. You've got two aging players with declining production and three completely unproven players. At this point another season with lots of blitzing to make the pass rush happen seem likely.

• Agree 1

Any chance Trent Murphy stays for the league min?  Not sure how much interest he is going to get from others...especially given all that has been shared on this thread so far regarding other players with more talent.

11 hours ago, MarlinTheMagician said:

The following two names were not on the poll of "what pass rusher do you want" (I voted for Dunlap).  But I trust Bills to make judgments on two potentially great adds:

1.  Ryan Kerrigan - Bills have to judge how much he has left in the tank, but if he has a fair amount he could be a real difference maker.  Seems like a great fit.

2.  Aldon Smith -- still young (30, may have turned 31), Smith could make a difference for years.  He is a chiseled 285 lbs, one of the best pure pass rushers of the last decade and stout against the run.  If you read about his turnaround, it is quite a story.  Personally, I believe in redemption.  But so, so often, it is not real.  I trust our front office to do the diligence to figure it out with Smith.  If they decide to sign him, I would be wildly supportive.  If they decided "do not touch" I would fully understand.  But I think Aldon is a much better risk than a (*^*&%^$^#like Sammy Watkins - at least Smith was once great.  Played all 16 last year.

fair takes on both.

11 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

We either need to invest in a DE or a DLman in the 1st 3 rounds if there's anyone we like.

I think we need to invest in another FA on DL as well.

Obada was a vet minimum guy last year.  I doubt this used up the money they freed by renegotiating Tre.

Agreed we still have money, but "using up the money" isn't the goal.

Not to mention that we'll have to pay our draftees and that they like to go into the season with $5 - $7M available in case they need to bring in injury replacements.

1 minute ago, Thurman#1 said:

Agreed we still have money, but "using up the money" isn't the goal.

Not to mention that we'll have to pay our draftees and that they like to go into the season with $5 - $7M available in case they need to bring in injury replacements.

No, signing players at positions of need is the goal so that we go into the draft able to target BPA

16 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

No, signing players at positions of need is the goal so that we go into the draft able to target BPA

No, signing players at positions of need while being both sensible and sustainable financially is the goal.

Agreed that's his M.O. about the draft.

Edited by Thurman#1

3 minutes ago, Thurman#1 said:

No, signing players at positions of need while being both sensible and sustainable financially is the goal.

:flirt: That's not a particularly useful set of criteria. 

Said no team ever: "we didn't quite have the hosses to win the championship, but we were sensible and sustainable financially!"

"Sensible" is in the eye of the beholder, and "sustainable financially" is pretty much an educated guess right now between the cap questions and the need to extend Allen.

11 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

:flirt: That's not a particularly useful set of criteria. 

Said no team ever: "we didn't quite have the hosses to win the championship, but we were sensible and sustainable financially!"

"Sensible" is in the eye of the beholder, and "sustainable financially" is pretty much an educated guess right now between the cap questions and the need to extend Allen.

It's spectacularly useful, Hap. More, they are useful strategies that Brandon Beane has made it abundantly clear that he himself uses. Most recently at the press conference about four days ago.

Said many many many teams over the years: "Jeez we were so good a year or two ago, didn't quite have the hosses to win the championship, but even though we've had to cut many of our best players this year and absolutely sucked because we overspent and weren't sensible or sustainable financially, we feel good because yeah we totally went for it that one year even if it meant we were screwed this year. So, Mr. Owner, please don't fire us. And fans, please buy tickets even though we sucked again this year."

They've made it abundantly clear that their goal is NOT to be good for one year. They have used the words "consistently competitive" over and over and over again. Consistently, really. And you achieve consistency by using sensible and sustainable financial strategies.

And yeah, extending Allen is one of many very good reasons to be financially sensible and sustainable.

Edited by Thurman#1

7 hours ago, NewEra said:

Yeah, drafting a corner in the first 3 rounds is a must.  I’d like a DT and either a RB or a WR.  

So many variables of CB, DT, RB/WR that would make me happy!

Whether a RB or WR, I hope it’s a SPEED guy. 

• Agree 1

20 hours ago, NewEra said:

Efe Obada is under the radar. I really think this move will pay off. It’ll really push Bam to get on the fast track too. 

hughes

addison

Epenesa

Obada

Bam

not the best DE room in the league, but I believe Obada is an improvement over Trent. 

Do we invest in a pass rusher in the first 3 rounds or just roll with these 5 and some other low cost free agents?  

I would like to see Addison changed out for Dunlap he has been available the last 3 yrs and has always seemed to produce not matter where he's been if Beane & McD decide to bring in another FA i would hope that would be the way they would go .

35 minutes ago, T master said:

I would like to see Addison changed out for Dunlap he has been available the last 3 yrs and has always seemed to produce not matter where he's been if Beane & McD decide to bring in another FA i would hope that would be the way they would go .

Oh yeah.  I agree.  I wanted Addison gone too, but it looks like McB wants him around, so he’ll be a Bill for one more year

15 hours ago, dawolv said:

Any chance Trent Murphy stays for the league min?  Not sure how much interest he is going to get from others...especially given all that has been shared on this thread so far regarding other players with more talent.

I actually don't think he's as bad as some on TBD do so I'd be happy to see it, but I doubt he's going to stick around for the league min. He'll get picked up somewhere for more than that.

20 hours ago, vincec said:

I actually don't think he's as bad as some on TBD do so I'd be happy to see it, but I doubt he's going to stick around for the league min. He'll get picked up somewhere for more than that.

Im with you... in spurts he has shown to be pretty effective.  Just not an every down player or worth his past salary given the production post his injury.