Under The Radar Pass Rush

The following two names were not on the poll of "what pass rusher do you want" (I voted for Dunlap).  But I trust Bills to make judgments on two potentially great adds:

1.  Ryan Kerrigan - Bills have to judge how much he has left in the tank, but if he has a fair amount he could be a real difference maker.  Seems like a great fit.

2.  Aldon Smith -- still young (30, may have turned 31), Smith could make a difference for years.  He is a chiseled 285 lbs, one of the best pure pass rushers of the last decade and stout against the run.  If you read about his turnaround, it is quite a story.  Personally, I believe in redemption.  But so, so often, it is not real.  I trust our front office to do the diligence to figure it out with Smith.  If they decide to sign him, I would be wildly supportive.  If they decided "do not touch" I would fully understand.  But I think Aldon is a much better risk than a (*^*&%^$^#like Sammy Watkins - at least Smith was once great.  Played all 16 last year.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, MarlinTheMagician said:

The following two names were not on the poll of "what pass rusher do you want" (I voted for Dunlap).  But I trust Bills to make judgments on two potentially great adds:

1.  Ryan Kerrigan - Bills have to judge how much he has left in the tank, but if he has a fair amount he could be a real difference maker.  Seems like a great fit.

2.  Aldon Smith -- still young (30, may have turned 31), Smith could make a difference for years.  He is a chiseled 285 lbs, one of the best pure pass rushers of the last decade and stout against the run.  If you read about his turnaround, it is quite a story.  Personally, I believe in redemption.  But so, so often, it is not real.  I trust our front office to do the diligence to figure it out with Smith.  If they decide to sign him, I would be wildly supportive.  If they decided "do not touch" I would fully understand.  But I think Aldon is a much better risk than a (*^*&%^$^#like Sammy Watkins - at least Smith was once great.  Played all 16 last year.

Kerrigan should already be signed, we need to add him ASAP

• Haha (+1) 2
  • Dislike 1

Efe Obada is under the radar. I really think this move will pay off. It’ll really push Bam to get on the fast track too. 

hughes

addison

Epenesa

Obada

Bam

not the best DE room in the league, but I believe Obada is an improvement over Trent. 

Do we invest in a pass rusher in the first 3 rounds or just roll with these 5 and some other low cost free agents?  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Efe Obada is under the radar. I really think this move will pay off. It’ll really push Bam to get on the fast track too. 

hughes

addison

Epenesa

Obada

Bam

not the best DE room in the league, but I believe Obada is an improvement over Trent. 

Do we invest in a pass rusher in the first 3 rounds or just roll with these 5 and some other low cost free agents?  

Draft a guy like Shelvin or Slayton in the 2nd/3rd Round and I think we have ourselves a stout DL.  

Our best bet is to hope Oliver becomes a pass rusher on the interior now that Star is back. Beef up that interior DL and then hope Epenesa and Obada can push Hughes/Addison.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

9 minutes ago, SCBills said:

Draft a guy like Shelvin or Slayton in the 2nd/3rd Round and I think we have ourselves a stout DL.  

Our best bet is to hope Oliver becomes a pass rusher on the interior now that Star is back. Beef up that interior DL and then hope Epenesa and Obada can push Hughes/Addison.

For sure.  We need a 1tech to ride with for the next 4-5 years+

• Like (+1) 2

34 minutes ago, NewEra said:

hughes

addison

Epenesa

Obada

Bam

roll with them and take highest ranked RB or CB in the first round.

Edited by maryland-bills-fan
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Disagree 1

2 minutes ago, Process said:

I think we are done adding FAs on the d line. We still need to draft a DE though, as high as the first round if the value is there.  

Hughes Addison and the new guy are all FAs after this year. 

CB and DL are the targets most likely. RB sleeper pick but I can't see the Bills using another high pick on a RB to be honest. Maybe later in the draft. 

Edited by Buffalo_Stampede

43 minutes ago, NewEra said:

hughes

addison

Epenesa

Obada

Bam

We either need to invest in a DE or a DLman in the 1st 3 rounds if there's anyone we like.

I think we need to invest in another FA on DL as well.

Obada was a vet minimum guy last year.  I doubt this used up the money they freed by renegotiating Tre.

• Like (+1) 1

A very uninspiring group of DE. Addison looked cooked last year, Hughes can bring it but doesn’t finish very often, Epenesa did not physically looked like he belonged, and I’m fine with Odoba as a flier but this team needs a big time pass rusher if they are going to continue to play the way they do. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, NewEra said:

hughes

addison

Epenesa

Obada

Bam

not the best DE room in the league, but I believe Obada is an improvement over Trent

I certainly hope he is better than Trent lol. 

31 minutes ago, Jpsredemption said:

A very uninspiring group of DE. Addison looked cooked last year, Hughes can bring it but doesn’t finish very often, Epenesa did not physically looked like he belonged, and I’m fine with Odoba as a flier but this team needs a big time pass rusher if they are going to continue to play the way they do. 

Epenesa had a tough time early. He got better as season went on though. Very fast DE and hope he does well enough to get more snaps and hopefully takes over as starter. But I wouldn't go as far to say he looked like he didn't belong. He looked like a rookie that struggled early, but he did improve. Which is a good sign and what you'd want to see.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

2 hours ago, MarlinTheMagician said:

To me, lack of pass rush is our biggest weakness.  I would rather roll with Levi and Knox if needed to fortify the pass rush.  Let's go!

At #30 I go DE or CB if one that is highly rated is available.  Otherwise I take Najee Harris or Etienne.  I hear a lot of talk about Singletary and Moss having a lot of potential and it was the O lines fault last year that our running game was mediocre at best.  I disagree w that narrative.  Neither Singletary or Moss has any explosiveness.  If we had taken Dobbins w our pick in the 2nd round we would not be having this conversation, and could be focusing on DE and CB right now.  Lets hope Epenesa brings some game this year.  Not expecting Nick Bosa, but dam he was a big timer at Iowa.  He needs to step up his game!

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, Sherlock Holmes said:

Kerrigan should already be signed, we need to add him ASAP

Sorry, I can't trust a Kerrigan. He's just as likely to become a homicidal woman leading an army of bugs to destroy the galaxy. 

• Haha (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Rc2catch said:

They just signed the under the radar pass rusher. 
He’s not on any of the lists 

That was Beane's magic. He convinced all the "experts" out there to keep him off any top 100 free agents lists to drive the price down.