Bills sign DE Efe Obada

On 3/24/2021 at 10:11 AM, whatdrought said:

and that defense wasn’t exactly dominant, so it isn’t like he benefitted from a great surrounding cast.

Ive heard of this for Cougar addiction... do you think it transfers?...

Cougars are great! They always pick up the check.

2 hours ago, Not at the table Karlos said:

I don’t understand people’s issue with former panthers. If they were there when Beane was he obviously knows and likes them because he scouted them. 

Efe Obada didn't overlap Beane or McDermott.  He was signed at the end of May, 2017 as an international pathways player.

Beane took the GM job in Buffalo at the beginning of May, 2017.

There are two links to the team:

1) Mario Addison who joined the Bills last season and who played next to Obada in 2018-2019

2) DL coach Eric Washington who joined the Bills last season

If anyone should know what Obada is capable of that would be Washington, who coached him for 2 yrs.

11 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Efe Obada didn't overlap Beane or McDermott.  He was signed at the end of May, 2017 as an international pathways player.

1) Mario Addison who joined the Bills last season and who played next to Obada in 2018-2019

If anyone should know what Obada is capable of that would be Washington, who coached him for 2 yrs.

It would not shock me if Beane was involved in scouting Obada only a month or so before leaving Carolina. 

Edited by JohnBonhamRocks
phrasing

23 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Thanks but I already knew that. I made a post about it a week or so ago. My post is about the people that constantly whine about former panthers coming here

Edited by Not at the table Karlos

10 minutes ago, JohnBonhamRocks said:

It would not shock me if Beane was involved in scouting Obada only a month or so before leaving Carolina. 

He may have done, though I don't think scouting potential low-end roster additions was his primary Carolina role.    And how is scouting a guy on film in Carolina different from scouting a guy on film in Buffalo?

Just now, Not at the table Karlos said:

Thanks but I already knew that

Then why did you say "If they were there when Beane was he obviously knows and likes them"?  There's no "if they were there" in this case and several others.

47 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

He may have done, though I don't think scouting potential low-end roster additions was his primary Carolina role.    And how is scouting a guy on film in Carolina different from scouting a guy on film in Buffalo?

All I’m saying is I wouldn’t be shocked if he scouted him in Carolina. 

9 minutes ago, JohnBonhamRocks said:

All I’m saying is I wouldn’t be shocked if he scouted him in Carolina. 

I see your point, and he may well have been part of some scouting or convo earlier that spring.  My point is I don't think having previously scouted the guy on film etc. would form a particular connection.  I'm sure he's scouted many guys since.

I think the connection is that McDermott is highly motivated to find players who "buy in" to his defensive system.  That was apparently some of the strongest feedback he got after he was fired from Philly.   I think it's significant that players like Tre' White and Micah Hyde talked about everyone being "bought in" before the AFC Championship game, with the implication maybe they weren't in Week 6.

One way to assure that is to focus on guys where someone on the team has deeper knowledge - and in this case, having Carolina's DL coach and two former Carolina DL players able to give "scouting reports" is probably very significant.

Personally, I'm a little "twitchy" about ultimate success in a system where it's evidently a regular and significant struggle to get the front 7 to "buy in", to the extent that perhaps sometimes this concern even supercedes going after the absolute best, most physically gifted players.  I keep thinking of Wade Phillips commenting to the effect that "if you can't fit a talented guy into your system, maybe your system needs to change".

2 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Then why did you say "If they were there when Beane was he obviously knows and likes them"?  There's no "if they were there" in this case and several others.

I was talking about the people that get bent out of shape about us signing former panthers in general.

Edited by Not at the table Karlos

On 3/24/2021 at 10:08 AM, YoloinOhio said:

Played in 16 games in 2020, starting 1.  5.5 sacks, 1 Forced Fumble, 2 Fumble Recoveries, & 15 QB hits.

Yet another Panther. On the upside, he had more sacks last year than any Bill-- as a backup.