Bills sign DE Efe Obada

1 hour ago, Paup 1995MVP said:

That cliche has kind of worn thin by year 5 of the McDermott regime don't you think??  Lets see who Emmanuel Sanders played for previously in his career... The Panthers?  Nope.  The Steelers Broncos 49ers and Saints.  How about Jacob Hollister?  The Panthers?  Nope...  How about the Seahawks and Pats.  What about Matt Hauk?  The Panthers....Nope.  So we don't JUST go after former Carolina Panthers.  And some Panthers have been pretty decent btw.  Daryl Williams certainly comes to mind.  And Starr has been pretty solid also.  And AJ Klein certainly had some strong moments last season.  The one blight from Carolina was Kelvin Benjamin.  And he was a first round draft pick back in 2014.  So he did have talent.  Unfortunately he had no desire and was fat.  

I said “defense” in my post. Why do people get so sensitive about pointing out their proclivity for former panthers? It’s true. Hyde and Poyer are the last two real impact free agents on defense that McD signed from different teams. And that was back in 2017. Doesn’t hurt to poach from other teams now and then. 

Edited by TheProcess

3 hours ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Are the Bills officially the only NFL team with a minor league farm system in Carolina. 

So here’s the part I don’t get about the Panthers. We know they don’t want us poaching their talent so it’s not like their coaches or scouts are helping Beane evaluate the guys for us, so what does he have water boys calling him with tips? I mean he hasn’t been there for years now. 

10 minutes ago, ALLEN1QB said:

Only question I have is this team better prepared now if we were to face Kansas City again I cannot say that I feel comfortable saying yes

But are they better prepared to beat us...the answer there as of now is no.   They have lost more than gained. 

• Haha (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, billsfan89 said:

My struggle with drafting a pass rusher at 30 is, is there a pass rusher drafted 30th that can make a big impact? It isn’t an easy spot to find an impact pass rusher. Another poster pointed out that NT at 30 and DE in round 2 might be the better way to go since an NT can make more of an impact and be a longer term need fill, while DE at pick 62 can be a longer term need fill and has almost as equal a chance at panning out and making an impact as a De taken at pick 30.

I'm fine either way. They need both positions to develop. Hughes will be gone in a year. Epenesa is an unknown. Getting younger on the DL will help for the next few years

8 minutes ago, ALLEN1QB said:

Only question I have is this team better prepared now if we were to face Kansas City again I cannot say that I feel comfortable saying yes

Luckily, that is 8 months away.  The draft needs to go well and some younger guys need to step up to get over the hump.

• Like (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, ALLEN1QB said:

I hear you as an upgrade at DE would've been extremely helpful.  I guess you just have to hope the young guys elevate their game this year (Edmunds, Oliver, Epenesa, Knox, Ford, Moss, Singletary, etc.).  Upgrade at CB #2 either through the draft or free agency which could help the pass rush.  Coaches need to develop a better game plan.  Maybe get an official crew that actually isn't afraid to call defensive pass interference.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

Does a straight ahead rush, power in moving the offensive lineman and getting separation.  Great job.

30 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Took the outside rush, going inside would have been better.  Still does a great job of powering forward and disrupting that side of the line.  Nice rush.

Young guy playing wise.  Seems strong and a good motor.  Would like to see him get extended playing time for sure.

• Like (+1) 1

37 minutes ago, billsfan89 said:

My struggle with drafting a pass rusher at 30 is, is there a pass rusher drafted 30th that can make a big impact? It isn’t an easy spot to find an impact pass rusher. Another poster pointed out that NT at 30 and DE in round 2 might be the better way to go since an NT can make more of an impact and be a longer term need fill, while DE at pick 62 can be a longer term need fill and has almost as equal a chance at panning out and making an impact as a De taken at pick 30.

I think you can usually wait till round 3 or later on NTs unless they have huge upside in the passrush department. I personally am on the Slaton or Shelvin train with our 3rd rounder. I might even consider moving up a little for Slaton as I believe he can also push the pocket enough to cause the QB some problems.

30 minutes ago, Locomark said:

So here’s the part I don’t get about the Panthers. We know they don’t want us poaching their talent so it’s not like their coaches or scouts are helping Beane evaluate the guys for us, so what does he have water boys calling him with tips? I mean he hasn’t been there for years now. 

That's a great question. There must still be an insider filtering some info to McB. My biggest fear is they seem to obsess with Panther players. Are the doing enough do diligence with the other 30 teams while searching for help?

3 minutes ago, TheBeaneBandit said:

I think you can usually wait till round 3 or later on NTs unless they have huge upside in the passrush department. I personally am on the Slaton or Shelvin train with our 3rd rounder. I might even consider moving up a little for Slaton as I believe he can also push the pocket enough to cause the QB some problems.

Any NT drafted in round 1 would have to have some pass rush upside but getting some help to the middle is looking to me like one of the areas that the draft can really have an immediate impact on.

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, ngbills said:

Huh?

Plenty said prior to Diggs that WR was not a huge need. People talked up Brown as being a true #1 if given the chance. That Duke Williams showed his potential in that 100 yard game to end the season. Brown, Beasley, Duke and you draft a WR plus still have McK and Foster. There were plenty that were ready to roll with that strategy. I was big on you need a true / legit #1 and was told Beane knows what he is doing, the team has other needs, they obviously like what they have etc. That crew may have looked "respectable" but look what getting a guy like Diggs does for you.

Same goes for this DL. You can roll out Addison, Hughes, Efe, AJE and be possibly respectable. Have guys get 6 sacks and seem solid (like Brown's 1,000 season). But you plug in a legit DE and he may only get 10 sacks but changes the entire game. 

And plenty are talking about this signing as a great signing and like he will have a big impact. He may just as likely barely see the field or have no impact. My point he is not a difference maker signing that is scaring our opponents. He is a just another guy. 

I do like the signing assuming it is at a minimum salary and is not the last move made. I dont want it to be the check the box, pass rush is fixed move. That is all. Worth a gamble as a potential player that can do more than is expected. Again, we need more at DE than we have now. 

You can repeat this to yourself all you want, it will not make it so. 

39 minutes ago, ALLEN1QB said:

Me either, but I'm hoping a pocket collapsing 1tech and a big nickle found on day 2 in the draft then that would be a couple steps in the right direction.

• Like (+1) 1