Bills sign DE Efe Obada

Free country, right?  Free to trash a signing by a guy who put this team together.  Are you guys nuts?  This looks like a perfect fit for the Bills.  He's not from Carolina.  He's from Africa.  How the hell did he go from being an abandoned 10 year old to where he is today?  I am proud of myself when I can do 20 pushups.  Come on, man.  

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, ngbills said:

Again my point is stats dont tell the whole story. There is a reason a 5.5 sack guy was not a sought after free agent. There are tons of examples of these tyoes of situations. Heck, Robert Foster had 500+ yards and mostly in the second half of the year as a rookie...

You're a sought after free agent when one of the best teams in the NFL comes calling for you to join their team.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

To much shade in this thread. We needed another DE, our cap situation is thin at best... who cares where the player comes from I mean dam as long as he plug and play and does his job who cares?  He had 5.5 sacks last year and for not starting that is good. He creates competition at a position that needs it. That is the point for bringing in him.. Same for Hollister.

Sorry guys.. we cant sign huge names every year.

I am fine with it. 

Prove it contracts. Its been the McD, Beane way.

• Like (+1) 2

This guy has lived a brutal, tough and interesting life so far, even if he is only 28. 

If he doesn't have a killer work ethic, I'm not sure who would.

(From Wikipedia)

At the age of 10, Obada and his sister were trafficked from the Netherlands (where they moved from Nigeria at the age of 8) into England and left homeless as soon as they arrived in London.[1][2]They initially slept rough, then in an office block, then with a family friend, before living in 10 different foster homes.[1] He eventually worked as a security guard at Grace Foods in Welwyn Garden City.[3][4]

• Like (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, Don Otreply said:

A fair bit of misrepresentation and hyperbole included in this post. 

No one ever said or eluded to, we don’t need a Diggs because we have Duke, I was there for those conversations, and that is pure BS, as well, no one ever said or eluded to our new D line signing as being a savior, except for you and your  ilk, that too is BS.

Why do you anti Beane moves guy’s always go for the over the top made up stuff? It makes it hard to even want to read your view of these things..,

Huh?

Plenty said prior to Diggs that WR was not a huge need. People talked up Brown as being a true #1 if given the chance. That Duke Williams showed his potential in that 100 yard game to end the season. Brown, Beasley, Duke and you draft a WR plus still have McK and Foster. There were plenty that were ready to roll with that strategy. I was big on you need a true / legit #1 and was told Beane knows what he is doing, the team has other needs, they obviously like what they have etc. That crew may have looked "respectable" but look what getting a guy like Diggs does for you.

Same goes for this DL. You can roll out Addison, Hughes, Efe, AJE and be possibly respectable. Have guys get 6 sacks and seem solid (like Brown's 1,000 season). But you plug in a legit DE and he may only get 10 sacks but changes the entire game. 

And plenty are talking about this signing as a great signing and like he will have a big impact. He may just as likely barely see the field or have no impact. My point he is not a difference maker signing that is scaring our opponents. He is a just another guy. 

I do like the signing assuming it is at a minimum salary and is not the last move made. I dont want it to be the check the box, pass rush is fixed move. That is all. Worth a gamble as a potential player that can do more than is expected. Again, we need more at DE than we have now. 

• Disagree 1

18 minutes ago, Back2Buff said:

If we are lucky.

Butler went from 6 sacks to zero.

Star went from 5.5 in his last two year in Car to 2 sacks in his two years in Buffalo.

Do you have any cheese with your w(h)ine-- I am hungry. I think this is a great signing. This man fits the work ethic needed. He may have come from Carolina but he is more of a Eric Washington pickup then Brandon Beane. 

2 hours ago, Bangarang said:

I wouldn’t say that getting Star back and signing Obada fixes our problems on the d-line. 

But do those additions make the line better or worse?  Hard to say they make it worse unless you (a) continue to harp on Star being "overpaid" or (b) have a knee-jerk negative reaction to anyone who played in Carolina.

Star is a very useful piece in this defense.  He has made every defense he has played on better.  Obada has outstanding physical ability and upside.  They essentially replace Jefferson and Butler.  That's a win.

Don't forget, as well, that we get to see Epenesa's 2nd year progression, and Horrible Harry will be even further removed from his ACL surgery so he should be back to just "playing" again.  I'm looking forward to Oliver's continued improvement as well.

Only the negative nancies look at all of this and don't see an improved DL.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Even with Hughes, Addison, Epenesa, Obada, and Johnson, I hope we are still open to drafting one high or signing one of the top remaining or still-to-be-cut DEs.

Could always keep 3 of the above DEs on the roster with Obada as a DT and bump Zimmer. 

Also, wish he got number 55 just so it would read: OBADA(55)

Edited by JohnBonhamRocks

2 minutes ago, ngbills said:

Huh?

Plenty said prior to Diggs that WR was not a huge need. People talked up Brown as being a true #1 if given the chance. That Duke Williams showed his potential in that 100 yard game to end the season. Brown, Beasley, Duke and you draft a WR plus still have McK and Foster. There were plenty that were ready to roll with that strategy. I was big on you need a true / legit #1 and was told Beane knows what he is doing, the team has other needs, they obviously like what they have etc. That crew may have looked "respectable" but look what getting a guy like Diggs does for you.

Same goes for this DL. You can roll out Addison, Hughes, Efe, AJE and be possibly respectable. Have guys get 6 sacks and seem solid (like Brown's 1,000 season). But you plug in a legit DE and he may only get 10 sacks but changes the entire game. 

And plenty are talking about this signing as a great signing and like he will have a big impact. He may just as likely barely see the field or have no impact. My point he is not a difference maker signing that is scaring our opponents. He is a just another guy. 

I do like the signing assuming it is at a minimum salary and is not the last move made. I dont want it to be the check the box, pass rush is fixed move. That is all. Worth a gamble as a potential player that can do more than is expected. Again, we need more at DE than we have now. 

Most everyone on the board wanted more at WR - especially more than Duke Williams.  The majority of the board saw him as a #5/#6 WR and in the playoffs when it mattered most - he failed.  The majority of members knew we needed more at WR - It was discussed when we tried to get Diggs before the trade deadline.  Everyone knew they wanted more.

More importantly - who is the Mythical DE that you wanted signed that gives you 10 sacks and is the huge game changer?  There just isn’t anyone like that.  Those guys are kept by their team.

There are guys like Yannick and Lawson that have not put up 10 sacks most years (or ever in Lawson case) and we’re not difference makers on any of their previous teams, but for some reason guys think if we had paid 13-15 million for them as FAs they will suddenly be better.

I think you are just talking out you backside and complaining because you have nothing else because for the majority of us - we recognize that we went 13-3 and have retained or improved across the board with the draft coming up. 

I believe Beane thinks he has a decent rotation at end.  Probably feels Epenesa will show better this season.  

He didn’t sign this guy to be the full answer to our pass rush needs this year.  That being said, seems like a great dude.  Could be on the verge of a breakout year if given the playing time he’d need.  

What’s not to like about story and career so far??  Love the signing! 

• Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, TheFunPolice said:

I would have loved a 2 year deal here, just in case he has an insane season

In terms of the player, good signing, though! 

Even if he has a great season and we can't afford him, tough to route against a dude like this. Great story and I'm pulling for him big time.

• Like (+1) 1