Bills sign DE Efe Obada

2 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

He had more sacks, forced fumbles, qb hits and TFL's than Addison. Addison started 7 games and Obada started 1 game. Goodbye Love & Cox.

Obviously there is more than just the stats or this guy would have gotten a $10M per deal. We should have released Addison and his nearly $10M if we really believe this guy will be more productive. 

• Eyeroll 2

1 hour ago, Success said:

I assumed Beane might go this route - instead of getting one major difference maker, just build depth & the rotation with solid players.  The plus with Obada is that he's still fairly young and possibly hasn't hit his ceiling yet (unlike an Addison, where you know what you're getting).

The Panther thing is....concerning.  But I have 100% faith in Beane.

This strategy of 8 average DL in rotation has led to the most expensive DL group in the league with mediocre results on the field.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

He had more sacks, forced fumbles, qb hits and TFL's than Addison. Addison started 7 games and Obada started 1 game. Goodbye Love & Cox.

Addison also had 9.5 sacks before coming to Buffalo.  Apply the same decline in Obada numbers.  Expect a 50% drop in sacks.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Vomit 2
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

Just now, Back2Buff said:

Addison also had 9.5 sacks before coming to Buffalo.  Apply the same decline in Obada numbers.  Expect a 50% drop in sacks.

Right, because they are exactly the same player and every variable will be the same....:doh:

3 minutes ago, ngbills said:

Obviously there is more than just the stats or this guy would have gotten a $10M per deal. We should have released Addison and his nearly $10M if we really believe this guy will be more productive. 

I completely agree. Keeping a underperforming 33 yr old Addison just doesn't make sense. Especially at that price. This signing might basically be Addison's replacement as a rotational DE.

1 minute ago, Back2Buff said:

Addison is old. Obada is just getting his feet wet, and saw less than 40% of the snaps last year. 

Also, getting Star back and potentially adding a big boy 1 tech in the draft as well as a second shut down corner may improve the pass rush all together. 

1 hour ago, whatdrought said:

So we came into March with these obvious holes in our roster: 

WLB- Signed Milano

RT- Signed DWill

G- Signed Feliciano/Ike

DL- Added Star, Signed Obeda

WR- Signed Sanders, signed ‘lil dirty

KR/PR- Signed ‘lil

P- Signed Hawk. (I refuse to spell his name correctly than pronounce it incorrectly, so I’ll be spelling it Hawk)

CB2- Signed Levi

We have a full and complete team and 7 draft picks.

RB and TE next please

I love what Beane has done this off season for the most part, but I’m very disappointed he hasn’t done more to address the pash rush.

Like this is potentially the only change at pass rush?.. To go along with an aging Hughes and Addison.

I really hope they draft one in the first or 2nd round, but even then, it’s a far guarantee that player will be a difference maker right away.

• Dislike 1

15 minutes ago, ngbills said:

There is where just the stats can be misleading. There are obviously plenty of examples of guys that had less than 5.5 sacks that are in much more demand. 

It is what is actually happening on the plays he is in. How much is he impacting the game. Questions like - What is his win rate? What does he do vs the run? How much attention does he draw from the offense? How does he impact guys around him? Are his sacks in garbage time? Are they clean up sacks vs beat your guy and sack the QB? 

I would have to guess some of those answers are why a 5.5 sack is not in high demand. Still a good signing just dont expect him to be a savior and answer to our DL issues. This stuff reminds me of the pre Stef Diggs trade - we dont need help at WR we have Duke Williams. He has produced every time he had a chance. Look at the difference a Diggs makes vs a Williams. Or even a Diggs vs a John Brown. The same could happen if we could get a legit edge guy. 

To quote the previous poster:

He had more sacks, forced fumbles, qb hits and TFL's than Addison.

that enough stats for ya?

that does not disprove your point that one number cannot define that position - actually I am all for signing Clowney - who had zero sacks last year.

20 minutes ago, No_Matter_What said:

Not anymore. We've become farm of Las Vegas Raiders.

The Buffalo Panthers and the Las Vegas Bills.

Just now, HappyDays said:

The more I read about him, the more I like the signing. Although I felt the same way when we signed Trent Murphy and again when we signed Quinton Jefferson so my gut apparently can't be trusted.

I had no clue what they were thinking with Murphy.  He was a LB and missed all of 2017, yet they gave him a massive contract.

Just now, Doc said:

The Buffalo Panthers and the Las Vegas Bills.

I had no clue what they were thinking with Murphy.  He was a LB and missed all of 2017, yet they gave him a massive contract.

They saw 10 sacks in 2016 and thought he had some upside. 

https://www.charlotteobserver.com/sports/nfl/carolina-panthers/article250168145.html

Fan-favorite Carolina Panthers player leaves team during free agency

Obada was coming off his best year as a Panther, finishing with 5.5 sacks, 15 quarterback hits and one forced fumble. His sacks in 2020 included a notable list of quarterbacks: Drew Brees, Aaron Rodgers, Matthew Stafford and Tom Brady.

I'll look up other potatoes sacked later.

Defensive coordinator Phil Snow played him inside on the line during part of the season, which contributed to his success.

A reason why Bills liked him - they like flexibility.

His path to success in the NFL is unique. Born in Nigeria, he became a victim of human trafficking as a child. He was trafficked to the Netherlands at age 10 and wound up homeless in south London with his sister, living in and out of foster homes.

Obada's amazing journey to the NFL has been well documented. He and his sister were abandoned by their mother at a young age. 

The Dallas Cowboys gave him a tryout based on a recommendation and, after brief stints with the Falcons and Chiefs, he found his way to Carolina and he had been on the 53-man roster since the 2018 season, become the first player from the NFL International Pathway program to make a 53-man roster.

Remember seeing videos of him when they showed players that year and thought he had potential.

Very in depth article -With his wife in London, Panthers' Efe Obada made tough pandemic choice 

https://www.espn.com/blog/carolina-panthers/post/_/id/33926/with-his-wife-in-london-panthers-efe-obada-made-tough-pandemic-choice

It was early March and the clock was ticking. Carolina Panthers defensive lineman Efe Obada had to decide quickly whether to leave his home in London and return to the United States so he could begin training for the 2020 football season. If he stayed, it could have been indefinite because of an impending travel ban caused by the coronavirus.

Complicating the situation further: His wife has a systemic autoimmune disorder that makes her more susceptible to COVID-19.

Vaccine should really help his family and hopefully they can unite in Buffalo.

There was a lot of praying, a lot of anxiety.

Ultimately, Obada chose to return to Charlotte, North Carolina, to continue his pursuit of an NFL career he hopes will give him and his family long-term financial security. His wife, however, stayed behind.

Helping the homeless

Obada doesn’t waste opportunities to help others.

In heat that could surpass 90 degrees, Obada would always make the 15-minute walk to Hoover's home instead of accepting a ride.

At first, Hoover thought it was because Obada wanted the exercise. Then he discovered the walk took Obada past homeless people. He discovered Obada stopped to talk to them, share his infectious smile with them.

They were a reminder of how far he’d come from the streets of London.

Instagram

https://www.instagram.com/efeobadauk/?hl=en

Interview

Efe Obada: ‘I still have to face some of my demons internally, as a man’

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2019/mar/25/efe-obada-nfl-interview-donald-mcrae

His grinning teammate Mike Adams pointed out that the opposition, the Cincinnati Bengals, didn’t know him because he was from London. Obada laughs now before making a serious point in a small office dominated by a giant photograph of him lost in joy. “I meant they didn’t know how hard I’d had to work, or went through, to reach that moment,” he says. “Emotion poured out of me.”

The wall opposite is filled by this image of an ecstatic Obada surrounded by his beaming team. The photograph was taken just after his stunning debut as a defensive end, which included a crucial interception and a sack, had been followed by him being presented with the match ball. Obada, a Londoner born in Nigeria, began playing American football only in 2014 at the age of 21. His remarkable rise explains why the NFL’s UK headquarters has named this office in his honour.

He also got Defense player of the week on his explosive debut.

• Like (+1) 1