Bills restructure Tre White; create cap space

7 hours ago, Brennan Huff said:

Wow what else can you tell us? We need pass rush. It’s a weak draft for pass rush. There’s nobody else out there. People will groan about everything on here. 1 year 7.5 mil is not even a bad deal 

It is for a bad player.

1 hour ago, UConn James said:

Yes, but I would imagine there would be some kind of signing bonus involved that they probably want to put at least some of on this year’s cap.

I just don't see us having the room to add any part of his signing bonus to this years cap hit. I fully understand where you guys are coming from - but lets look at where we're at currently:

According to Spotrac we have $4.1 Million in space - but this does not include whatever contract Efe Obada got. 

Ways to increase our cap space remaining:

Dion Dawkins bonus option (similar to Tre unless there was a window we missed to activate it +7.5 million)

Diggs Restructure/Extend ($$ unknown)

Hughes Restructure/Extend ($$unknown)

Things we need money for:

Rookies Round 1-3: roughly around $1.5-2 million 

Rookies Round 4-7: most likely zero regarding cap concerns due to not being top 51

Emergency Signing: Injuries happen - we will most likely sign a few players during the year due to injuries - recommended $4-6 million cap space reserved (number suggested by a GM on XM talk show - didn't catch name)

Rollover Cap space: if applicable 

Right now we're sitting pretty close to cap if we look at Efe and Rookies being added in. We need to have some money for signing players incase of injuries. I could be persuaded to not aim for an initial rollover pot. But essentially if the year started now - we're be in the theoretical red or be playing a dangerous game with little wiggle room for unexpected injuries.

Directly regarding JA and a signing bonus - any and all signing bonuses can be distributed across up to 5 years on a contract. We could just sign extend him for 6 years and the first part of the signing bonus wouldn't hit the cap until 2023. (Special note here, when a signing bonus hits the cap is NOT when the player gets the money - I think there was a disconnect in an earlier post - signing bonus money goes to the player the second they are done putting pen to paper)

Hell we could extend him for 8 years with 2( or more? don't know the limit here) voidable years and have his signing bonus be spread across the last 5 years and his signing bonus wouldn't hit the cap books until 2024.

One step further - the new contract concept that Jerry Jones started using recently, the team reserves the right to convert a portion of the remaining contract into a signing bonus at anytime throughout the contract. Think something similar to what we just did with Tre but repeatable and at the teams discretion. Huge special note here - they are not limited in how often they can do this. Now I'm not sure how I feel about this - but this type of clause in the contract allows a team to really have a ton of wiggle room when they see how much cap they do or don't have.

There should be zero hurry or desire to stress the cap anymore than it already is for this year - when any value he signs for will be chump change in 5 years and we should realistically be aiming to lock up Allen long term - preferably overlapping into the new broadcasting deal so we're not dealing with a contract market where everything has reset right at the start of the new money entering the NFL (I should clarify this - the CBA money starts entering the NFL market this year, but with the likely expansion to 17 regular season games between 2021 and 2023 more money will be available to the players). 

*The current train of thought is that next year we should see the cap be slightly higher than it was anticipated to be prior to COVID

Original Cap estimated for 2021: $210millin

Current Estimated Cap for 2022: $215million

I wouldn't mind a contract extension that  looks something like:

8 years (last two years voidable) - $275 million, $67 million signing bonus (or more - but this 1 ups Dak by literally 1million), $145 million guaranteed (I think this is fair - it's slightly more than Mahomes but across less total years)

* I think 43 million a yr is a good benchmark and over 6 years that would be 258, the round up to 275 sweetens the pot but you tack on the 2 voidable years to give wiggle room. take away the signing bonus you only need to average 34.6 million a year.

I provide the following overly generalized template:

*Feel free to divide up $67 million as you see fit and add it to any of the years

*Feel free to change any yearly amount but what you take away from one year you must add back somewhere else - may I suggest a lower 2022/2023 hit and a higher 2024/2025 hit as the market resets from the CBA money from a likely extended regular season.

*Feel free to up the signing bonus and make additional changes (example: $75 million signing bonus would be $31.6 million for 6 yrs.)

2021: $6.9 million

Extension begins

2022: $34.6 million + 

2023: $34.6 million + 

New CBA money has entered the league and market values have had full FA pass to reset player values

2024: $34.6 million + 

2025: $34.6 million + 

2026: $34.6 million + 

Voidable years (extra years to roll over signing bonus if needed):

2027: +

2028: +

9 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Cap space can be rolled over.........and re-structuring White's deal might have been time sensitive.........so might not be related to a pending personnel move at all.

They will want space for in-season moves as well.  

Might be a good play to see which of these one-year deal pass rushers has a strong start and then.....if their team is in the market to move them....... trade for them at the deadline and get them for the playoffs at half the cap hit. 

Could be, flexibility is always a good thing.   Right now, this is a market for patient GM's.

19 minutes ago, Rk_Bills86 said:

Ways to increase our cap space remaining:

Dion Dawkins bonus option (similar to Tre unless there was a window we missed to activate it +7.5 million)

Diggs Restructure/Extend ($$ unknown)

Hughes Restructure/Extend ($$unknown)

I see the Bills doing something with Dawkins to free up some money and I think they will extend Diggs to reduce this years cap.

Plus, I think they know that even though Diggs has been a great teammate, he is not about to take any discount.  I think for him getting paid is also a sign of respect and he right now is nowhere near the highest paid WR.  I think if not addressed it could end up being something that eats away at him.   I'm totally guessing here but that is the sense I get.   I think a 2 year extension worth $36 million with $20 Million guaranteed gets it done.

Hughes, I'm not so sure.  They could do something with him but do we really want to extend him beyond what the contract that he's currently on?   I love the way Hughes plays and he's a great teammate who gets pressures but I feel that he's beginning to fade.

10 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

that's dumb. His agent is not informing him properly. A restructure is in his best interest. He gets non-guaranteed money moved up and gets it right now. So it is not risked to be lost if cut later in contract.

Helps the competition as Chiefs now have less cap space. lol.

• Like (+1) 2

14 minutes ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

Is he still available?

A lot of fans dont like Murphy but coach made sure he played in the playoffs and he did well for that, so i wouldn't mind him back.

I don't really care for Murphy. I moreso brought it up as a joke

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, cba fan said:

that's dumb. His agent is not informing him properly. A restructure is in his best interest. He gets non-guaranteed money moved up and gets it right now. So it is not risked to be lost if cut later in contract.

Helps the competition as Chiefs now have less cap space. lol.

If it makes things harder for the Chiefs then great...

However I note that he is a free agent at the end of 2022 so him and his agent might be using this as leverage to get an extension... 

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

Is he still available?

A lot of fans dont like Murphy but coach made sure he played in the playoffs and he did well for that, so i wouldn't mind him back.

He is available. I actually wouldn’t be surprised to see him sign with the Bills for a min deal if no one else come through. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, ColoradoBills said:

Next year will be the 5th year option the Bills will be picking up soon for $23M.

The extension will start in 2023.

Same timing as Mahomes just went thru.

I mean this is even better overall and to the original point no reason to add any value from his eventual extension to this years cap hit. 

• Like (+1) 1