Bills restructure Tre White; create cap space

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Beane won't open his book of strategy to you, but if he says something like "we'll work on resigning Josh Allen's contract this summer or early fall", that's what he means.

Well that’s a really good point. Beane is a straight shooter.

7 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

Apparently,  that's not going to happen in 2022 and 2023. Maybe in 2024 though. From Peter King:

Three points to make: In 2020, a year when the owners lost about $4 billion due to COVID-related issues, players made 100 percent of their scheduled compensation. NBA players had their pay cut by 25 percent to finish the 2019-20 season; MLB players played a shortened 60-game schedule and made a pro-rated 37 percent of their scheduled pay. And when the total revenue of the league went down by $4 billion, obviously the cap, which is based on current revenues for the upcoming season, would go down accordingly. The league and players reached an agreement to spread the cap losses over three years. So the 2021 cap figure fell from the projected $198 million to $182.5 million, with the caps in 2022 and 2023 absorbing the rest of the lows from the COVID season.

There’s nothing sinister about it. If you take in $4 billion less than projected, it’s going to impact the cap, and instead of taking the hit all in one season and pushing the cap down to $155 million for 2021, the compromise of spreading the losses over three years was reached.

2. I think I won’t be surprised if there’s an element in the 2022 cap that allows teams to use a future year or years as a “bank” to borrow from. Because there’s no way the cap’s going to skyrocket next year, and I doubt in 2023 either. My guess is it goes up $8 million, maybe, next year, and then $12 million in 2023. If I’m right, by 2023 lots of teams that pushed bigger 2021 deals than they could afford will need room desperately.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/03/22/nfl-free-agency-tv-deal-fmia-peter-king/

I think one thing to point out here is that I believe the NFL is the ONLY league in North America where the yearly TV contract exceeds the salary cap for the players (and by a pretty good amount too). The last NBA TV deal was reported to be worth about $2.6-$2.7B. The NBA has a soft cap, so things are wonky, but even at the "hard cap" of $100M and change, by 30 teams, that is still $3B total, and most teams are well over the $100M mark. The MLB doesn't have a cap and their latest TV deal is about $550M per year, the average payroll for an MLB roster is $120M and there are 30 teams. 

You can't just say "NBA and MLB players took a paycut and NFL players didn't". The NFL TV contract allows the league to pay its entire roster and have money left over. No other league does that. 

1 minute ago, Rk_Bills86 said:

No player cares about a signing bonus - especially when talking about as large of a contract as JA is going to command - the only number that matters of Guaranteed Money. That's it. Now - having a signing bonus is nice, because it's money now, but these aren't people choosing to take a lump sum vs deferred payments on lottery winnings over 30 years. The second Cousin's signed his first Vikings contract, the power of gtd money became king for all superstar players.

There are literally no players that would option for a signing bonus over a much larger guaranteed money value because it offers FAR greater protection and overall value. As a matter of fact, why would ANY player that wasn't a far lower tier care about signing bonus.

You have missed the point entirely. Of course the player is more concerned with guaranteed money because that amount is greater. Base salary is of course kicked down the road, hence the word extension. But bonus money is paid at the time the contract is signed. Your statement that a Josh Allen extension would not effect the financials in 2021 is wrong. Bonus money gets spread out from when you sign the contract. 

Say the team takes the 5th year option on Josh before the extension, but then extend him this summer on a 5 year deal. The bonus money then gets spread over 7 years rather than 5. Increasing his immediate cap number, but lowering it down the back end. That is the entire advantage to extending players early. 

34 minutes ago, BillsFan1988 said:

U got to be kidding me expecting they do some reconstruction do the DLINE is not asking for perfection. I can come up with way more if we want to get into perfection for example trading up for Cody Ford instead of taking DK Metcalf but I'm not expecting perfection . What I am expecting is when there's a weakness that needs to be corrected as in our vastly overpaid DLINE then they do something about it. 

I am so happy you don’t make decisions for the Bills, I guess after all there is a god...

21 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

Projected caps are to increase by 20 million, 20 million and 30 million over the next 3 years

Not according to this article. 

9 minutes ago, Mango said:

I think one thing to point out here is that I believe the NFL is the ONLY league in North America where the yearly TV contract exceeds the salary cap for the players (and by a pretty good amount too). The last NBA TV deal was reported to be worth about $2.6-$2.7B. The NBA has a soft cap, so things are wonky, but even at the "hard cap" of $100M and change, by 30 teams, that is still $3B total, and most teams are well over the $100M mark. The MLB doesn't have a cap and their latest TV deal is about $550M per year, the average payroll for an MLB roster is $120M and there are 30 teams. 

You can't just say "NBA and MLB players took a paycut and NFL players didn't". The NFL TV contract allows the league to pay its entire roster and have money left over. No other league does that. 

I'm just saying that the cap won't go up that much in the next couple of years. That's all. 

2 hours ago, Brennan Huff said:

Bills sign Jadevon Clowney to a 1 year 7.5 million dollar deal 

Restructuring White's contract doesn't give them 7.5 to SPEND. It gets them barely UNDER the cap: they were over by 6 or 7 million 

Edited by Georgie
  • Like (+1) 1

Just now, dave mcbride said:

Apparently,  that's not going to happen in 2022 and 2023. Maybe in 2024 though. From Peter King:

Three points to make: In 2020, a year when the owners lost about $4 billion due to COVID-related issues, players made 100 percent of their scheduled compensation. NBA players had their pay cut by 25 percent to finish the 2019-20 season; MLB players played a shortened 60-game schedule and made a pro-rated 37 percent of their scheduled pay. And when the total revenue of the league went down by $4 billion, obviously the cap, which is based on current revenues for the upcoming season, would go down accordingly. The league and players reached an agreement to spread the cap losses over three years. So the 2021 cap figure fell from the projected $198 million to $182.5 million, with the caps in 2022 and 2023 absorbing the rest of the lows from the COVID season.

There’s nothing sinister about it. If you take in $4 billion less than projected, it’s going to impact the cap, and instead of taking the hit all in one season and pushing the cap down to $155 million for 2021, the compromise of spreading the losses over three years was reached.

2. I think I won’t be surprised if there’s an element in the 2022 cap that allows teams to use a future year or years as a “bank” to borrow from. Because there’s no way the cap’s going to skyrocket next year, and I doubt in 2023 either. My guess is it goes up $8 million, maybe, next year, and then $12 million in 2023. If I’m right, by 2023 lots of teams that pushed bigger 2021 deals than they could afford will need room desperately.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/03/22/nfl-free-agency-tv-deal-fmia-peter-king/

Dave, nailed it.  I believe it will only be around $203-4 mil. in 2022 so still behind what the contracts were written in past years.  2021 would normally have been $210 mil.  Then in 2023 it should be round $2025 mil. so catching up to the normal trajectory.  The cap will absolutely astronomically increase thereafter and will help the large contracts we'll need to sign in future years.

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, Georgie said:

Restructuring White's contract doesn't give them 7.5 to SPEND. It gets them barely UNDER the cap: they were over by 6 or 7 million 

No, they weren't. 

And as myself and others have pointed out, there are known extensions (Matakevich) and known void years (Sanders) that aren't reflected in fan-facing sites like Spotrac.

As far as the contracts we knew about, they may have been over, but not by nearly that amount.  Maybe $1M or $2M.

• Like (+1) 4

Just now, JohnBonhamRocks said:

Does this move seem just enough to fit Obada or is there more activity on the horizon? 

I think there's still some space after Obada. But we were reportedly over the cap by a little more than a few million as of yesterday, so a chunk goes towards first getting us out of the red.

• Thank you (+1) 1

50 minutes ago, Georgie said:

They were not over the CAP.  The NFL has been pretty clear - deals are not allowed for teams over the CAP - it changed some of the trade dates because Philadelphia had not cleared enough cash to trade Wentz.  They had to wait an additional day while they made additional restructures to get the trade through.

The Bills would not have been allowed to sign McKenzie yesterday or the DE today if we were over the Cap.

The official numbers with the NFL reflect everything they have done - the numbers on websites like Spotrac do not and are not official.

I will agree the restructure is not so the Bills can spend 7.5 million, but it gave them room to sign the DE and have some additional money if needed and pay their draft picks.  Prior to that and after McKenzie the CAP space for the Bills was down to about 1 million - not even enough to get the draft picks under the cap.

25 minutes ago, BillsFan1988 said:

U sure about that? How do u know I won't do a great job. I bet I'll be better then you. 

Just reading your intent has me quite sure. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Don Otreply said:

Just reading your intent has me quite sure. 

So u disagree with my content? We didn't make a mistake by signing Addison, Butler and Jefferson . We don't have the highest paid DLINE in the NFL that's not getting it done without applying additional pressure by sending blitzes. I'm was wrong your right buddy. 

6 hours ago, Rk_Bills86 said:

JA will get an extension - not a new contract that has any monetary value effect for this season. The earliest this would hit our cap would be next year. 

Yes, but I would imagine there would be some kind of signing bonus involved that they probably want to put at least some of on this year’s cap.

38 minutes ago, BillsFan1988 said:

So u disagree with my content? We didn't make a mistake by signing Addison, Butler and Jefferson . We don't have the highest paid DLINE in the NFL that's not getting it done without applying additional pressure by sending blitzes. I'm was wrong your right buddy. 

I disagree with what I spoke to.