Bills restructure Tre White; create cap space

14 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

That would be a deal of $3.25M per sack for Clowney. 

Do you remember Reggie Bushes contract year? The dude got paid for running backwards.

Just looked it up. He had 12 attempts for -3 yards.

Edited by MrSarcasm
Looked up Reggie historical season
  • Haha (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Brennan Huff said:

Pass rush is a glaring need IMO. People don’t want to hear it I guess 🤷🏻‍♂️

I think it’s that some don’t realize that everyone knows this already and are rolling their eyes at those that have have some unknown need to keep repeating it over and over, but hey, that could just be me...

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

27 minutes ago, 17islongenough said:

Don't they need room for the draft picks?  Could it just be that?

I read a week or so ago, with the Bills drafting lower and no 4th round pick, likely will only need about $1.5 mil to sign draft picks as likely anyone drafted after the 3rd round won't count against the top 51.

9 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

Apparently every team's GM is supposed to only make amazing moves?  I mean realistically, no team ever makes 100% good moves, there are always some that don't work out properly.  He has made far more good ones than bad ones...as can be seen by this team making the playoffs 3 times in 4 years following a 17 year drought, winning the AFC East for the first time in 25 years and winning a playoff game for the first time in 25 years and then making it to the AFC Championship game in Allen's 3rd year.  We are only just getting started on this run...relax a little and enjoy it...

Don't get me wrong I'm not saying fire these guys and I know no gm is perfect but that doesn't give him a pass for doubling down on the most expensive Dline in the NFL for minimum results.

McBeane has done a great job since they've been with the Bills but that doesn't give them a complete pass from criticism. I'm just very disappointed in the lack of movement on the DLINE . 

2 minutes ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

I read a week or so ago, with the Bills drafting lower and no 4th round pick, likely will only need about $1.5 mil to sign draft picks as likely anyone drafted after the 3rd round won't count against the top 51.

Spotrac estimates our rookie class to cost about 6 million - but there are things to factor here:

1) You are correct that beyond round 3 - picks will not be top 51 contracts

2) Rd 1-3 picks will actually push other contracts down:

Some simple math as an example - We sign a rookie for 1.5 million but they push a 750k contract down under the top 51. Total cap change ends up being only 750k for that rookie. 

Cap space can be rolled over.........and re-structuring White's deal might have been time sensitive.........so might not be related to a pending personnel move at all.

They will want space for in-season moves as well.  

Might be a good play to see which of these one-year deal pass rushers has a strong start and then.....if their team is in the market to move them....... trade for them at the deadline and get them for the playoffs at half the cap hit. 

1 minute ago, Rk_Bills86 said:

JA will get an extension - not a new contract that has any monetary value effect for this season. The earliest this would hit our cap would be next year. 

could be, but I think Beane sees the value in spreading the cap hit out. Allows him to get paid, but also allows flexibility for the future. We’ve seen so many teams hamstrung from competing by the QB’s contract. One of the reasons the Cheatriots were able to compete for so long is because Brady kept his hit low. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Rk_Bills86 said:

Spotrac estimates our rookie class to cost about 6 million - but there are things to factor here:

1) You are correct that beyond round 3 - picks will not be top 51 contracts

2) Rd 1-3 picks will actually push other contracts down:

Some simple math as an example - We sign a rookie for 1.5 million but they push a 750k contract down under the top 51. Total cap change ends up being only 750k for that rookie. 

Yeah so as long as Pegula has $6 mil in his pocket, he can sign everyone (and if he doesn't he'll just drill another well), but from a cap standpoint, will only impact the cap by less than $2mil.

56 minutes ago, No_Matter_What said:

Interesting. That is much more than we need just to fill roster with players on vet mins isn't it? So somebody with 5-7mill. cap hit coming soon?

I think Beane was more than clear that he will do this only if totally necessary.

Not necessarily. 

Spotrac has the Bills at -$3.4M in cap space

That's without the Matakevich extension, so maybe -2.4M afterwards (a 2 year contract that pays him the same could easily shave $1M off this year's cap)

This is after Trubisky, Wallace, Taiwan Jones, and Hollister signings but without McKenzie

At a guess, they have a couple offers out (I think they may want Dean Marlow and Darron Lee said he had an offer sheet)

McKenzie's cap hit is said to be $1.15.  Call it maybe another $3.4M for McKenzie, plus Marlow and Lee or similar "value" FA pickups at LB and safety.

$5.8-ish million needed to stay in the "black" on cap with the above

$1.5M for draft picks

----------------------------------

$7.3-ish needed just for that

Restructuring White to free up $7.5M, fundamentally could just be enough to keep us "in the black" on current commitments or maybe 2 more "value" FA pickups, and sign rookies

I don't see Ertz in here, nor another guy who costs $5-6M on cap

That's not to say the Bills can't make a bigger signing happen, by re-structuring Dion or others.  It's just to reiterate what I said yesterday - since the NFL won't allow teams to carry a negative cap, Feliciano's contract and the rest of these guys going through, meant that someone already restructured that Spotrac hadn't caught up with yet.

• Thank you (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, todd said:

Pretty clear to me this is for Josh Allen.

Extremely doubtful.    The Josh Allen and Tre' Edmunds works will start with a decision to pick up their 5th round option in early May - May 5th

Then it will be an extension, that will impact 2022 at the earliest.

Beane won't open his book of strategy to you, but if he says something like "we'll work on resigning Josh Allen's contract this summer or early fall", that's what he means.

• Like (+1) 1