I Don’t Understand Washington Football Team Not Picking New Name

Irv

On 3/24/2021 at 7:24 AM, BarleyNY said:

There’s been some speculation that Snyder will sell the team.  If that’s true it would makes sense to hold off and allow the new owner to name the team.

He's not selling the team. In fact, he is buying back stock shares from the minority owners in order to not have to deal with minority owners. The only shares that he doesn't own are owned by his sister and mother. The buy back from the minority owners who were taking him to court for a variety of reasons was encouraged by the other owners. 

26 minutes ago, JohnC said:

He's not selling the team. In fact, he is buying back stock shares from the minority owners in order to not have to deal with minority owners. The only shares that he doesn't own are owned by his sister and mother. The buy back from the minority owners who were taking him to court for a variety of reasons was encouraged by the other owners. 

Yeah.  That’s a 180 from what had been expected.  It looked like the NFL was going to make him sell.  Nope.  Wow.  Just wow. 

• Like (+1) 1

On 3/24/2021 at 8:17 AM, Greg S said:

When this name change stuff first happened I thought they were going to go with Redtails. Close to the Redskins name. 

I heard that as well and would have put money on that being chosen as new name.  It was perfect.  Still had "red" in the name for some nostalgia for old name, plus it would honor WWII heroes the Tuskegee Airmen.  That would make some amends for their racist past (original owner Preston Marshall was hard core racist and Washington was last NFL team to integrate).  Still believe that will ultimately be the new name.

1 hour ago, BarleyNY said:

Yeah.  That’s a 180 from what had been expected.  It looked like the NFL was going to make him sell.  Nope.  Wow.  Just wow. 

Let me also add to my response that although he and his family members will own all the stock in the team that doesn't mean that there won't be sanctions by the league for the scandalous and ugly way women were treated within the organization. Once the league reviews the results of the ongoing and maybe even finished investigation of the organization's behavior a league course of action will follow. Make no mistake Dan Snyder is a sleaze ball who has run this organization into the ground. Now that he has become more hands off and allowed the football people to run the team and undo the damage that he has done to this franchise it is moving in the right direction.  

• Like (+1) 1

On 3/24/2021 at 6:42 AM, SoCal Deek said:

Most English football teams (soccer) go by nothing more than the name of the town and they’re some of the oldest/richest franchises in sports.  For example: Liverpool Football Club, etc. You get used to it.

Agreed. It would, however, work better as Washington F.C. Washington F.T. just doesn't work.

Whenever this comes up it causes me to think about the absurdity of our football team's nickname, I mean, not out of any PC thing, but it's just out of sync with all other nicknames. It's as if the Vikings were named the Minnesota Fats. Maybe we should be Buffalo F.C.

2 minutes ago, The Frankish Reich said:

Agreed. It would, however, work better as Washington F.C. Washington F.T. just doesn't work.

Whenever this comes up it causes me to think about the absurdity of our football team's nickname, I mean, not out of any PC thing, but it's just out of sync with all other nicknames. It's as if the Vikings were named the Minnesota Fats. Maybe we should be Buffalo F.C.

Nicknames and mascots have certainly evolved over time. Think about the Red Sox and White Sox being named after the color of their socks!  But the best one had to be when the CFL had two teams named the Roughriders!  Come on people, really?

• Haha (+1) 1

6 hours ago, JOE IN HAMPTON ROADS said:

but its the Washington Football Team football team.

image.png.79b10f14df2d0b0388b1945b969b18da.png

I dunno if you've noticed, but NFL.com (and probably others) drop the city in the coverage online

So the Buffalo Bills are "Bills", NY Jets are the "Jets" and the Washington Football Team is listed as ...."Football Team"