I Don’t Understand Washington Football Team Not Picking New Name

Irv

22 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Almost unbelievably, the EXACT OPPOSITE just happened this morning!

I am SHOCKED by this news of Snyder buying out the minority holders.

The NFL just wrapped their own investigation into the WFT and its past issues, and the League's report concluded with a recommendation that the NFL forces Snyder to sell the team. And now the opposite is happening, and is approved by the league.

WTF WFT!

WOW!  I’m absolutely stunned.  Even for the NFL that’s effed up. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Warcodered said:

Got to wait to use it as a distraction for the next time a story comes out about the horrible Front Office.

I had been thinking the League has told Snyder he must sell the team, and they want the new owners to pick the new name. Give the franchise an entire clean slate and fresh start.

If Jauronimo is right, and the buyout of minority holders is to prep for a sale, it would make sense.

6 hours ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

Read an article last year about who was the other team that changed names fairly recently, but article talked about how it took them close to two years to decide on new name.  There was much to study and then things like gear being lined up both for players and sale, etc.

NBA’s New Orleans team changed from Hornets to Pelicans.

1 hour ago, Locomark said:

Maybe the Sabres should change their name to Buffalo Shabby Hockey Squad for next year.... 

Schitty instead of Shabby

• Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, H2o said:

This is probably part of the reason, on top of the fact Snyder is just a douche. 

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/washington-redskins-name-trademark-martin-mccaulay/

part of it is getting trademarks

the Other issue...Snyder wants full control and buying out other owners so he can call thrm the Washington wetbacks 

10 hours ago, Greg S said:

Buffalo Orchard Parks. 

That’s two different town names, doesn’t work... it would need to be the, BFT or the, OPFT...

Adopt the George Washington football team, works for me. Already a connection with the colonials.  Silver Quarters on the helmets with George's masculine profile. 

Kinda goes with the territory and who's to complain...

Edited by Figster
  • Like (+1) 1

23 hours ago, Boxcar said:

Some of them even have an issue with retaining the gold and burgundy. It's insane.

They are like the team name version of the Browns' helmets.

I love the Football Team “name”.   Like everything, things go in cycles and right now new mascot names are typically just boring and cliche. Simple is better, and this is about as simple as you can get

23 hours ago, blacklabel said:

I think it's just Dan Snyder being a little baby back biatch.

mmm 

source.gif

23 hours ago, Tuel Time said:

It's funny and it's unique. I love hearing people struggle to phrase "the Football Team" in conversations.

I love everything about it.

It reminds me of the original Tecmo Bowl for Nintendo when the NFL didn’t let them use the actual team names. 

On 3/24/2021 at 5:49 AM, Rk_Bills86 said:

2) As mentioned, the team is most likely going to be up for sale, and it is not everyday that a new owner gets to walk into owning a new team and be welcomed to changing it's name. There is a rumor that Bezos wants to buy the team and many feel that if he does buy the team they could be renamed to the Washington Primes.

0% chance the name would be the "Primes". Too much conflict of interest with Prime also deeply involved in game broadcasting. 

Just stick with Football Team. It's original and simple. 

1 hour ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

Washington Warriors, boom done. 

Warriors, Wolves, Senators, Thrushes (DC official bird, kinda lame though), Stars, Cougars (more cat teams!), Leopards.

Not good names: Redwolves, Redtails, Redstuff, Rednotskins, Reds, Redball Team, Redbulls, Redbudgets, Republicans, Democrats, Lincolns, Redgolds. Just off the top of my head. My vote is for Wolves because wolves are bad ass and don't get enough representation in pro sports.

2 hours ago, Chuck Schick said:

I love the Football Team “name”.   Like everything, things go in cycles and right now new mascot names are typically just boring and cliche. Simple is better, and this is about as simple as you can get

Agree here, and also mostly just wanted to tell you that I *heart* your username.

• Haha (+1) 1