I Don’t Understand Washington Football Team Not Picking New Name

Irv

If it hasn't been brought up yet - the reason they haven't gotten a new name boils down to two things:

1) A legal copyright/trademark squatter who has bought the rights to virtually every suggested name over the past 15-20 years + the multiple logos. There were rules put in place to prevent something like this as it was seen as possible issue during the Dot Com boom - however the rules are pretty simple to circumvent if you are willing to put in the time/effort. It boils down to you need to use the name in some way (multiple usage stipulations are noted) and this one guy has basically done that. 

2) As mentioned, the team is most likely going to be up for sale, and it is not everyday that a new owner gets to walk into owning a new team and be welcomed to changing it's name. There is a rumor that Bezos wants to buy the team and many feel that if he does buy the team they could be renamed to the Washington Primes.

And more directly to the OP original post - I doubt the spike in sales from changing team name would be noticeable in the teams overall revenue stream.

New is always king - with or without a true logo. You might see slightly higher new sales if they had an actual logo attached, but truthfully, considered the current economic situation, sales are probably down across the board as is. Any rush they may have had to select a new name and push merchandise was most likely nullified.

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, H2o said:

This is probably part of the reason, on top of the fact Snyder is just a douche. 

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/washington-redskins-name-trademark-martin-mccaulay/

Good post.  I read the article.  Of course, he sent his "offer" of free use of the trademarked names to the NFL, who will not be making the selection.  The selection will be made by the Owner of the team, that is D Snyder.  So, bs offer on the part of the trademark hog.......who thinks he is getting paid.  And, I don't think Snyder is selling.....

Edited by bigK14094

10 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

Most English football teams (soccer) go by nothing more than the name of the town and they’re some of the oldest/richest franchises in sports.  For example: Liverpool Football Club, etc. You get used to it.

Buffalo Orchard Parks. 

1 hour ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

They might as well just leave it as the Washington football team now. Should have taken a day to come up with a name. It’s been a year. Just forget it

And they were already talking about keeping it for next season.

I remember the Buffalo Braves had a name the team contest where the person who provided the name they chose got free tickets. I submitted Braves but I was 1 of 20 and someone else got the tickets.

3 minutes ago, Greg S said:

Buffalo Orchard Parks. 

More accurately: OPFC. 

Orchard Park Football Club 

or

Buffalo City Football Club

Now...many of those Premier League Teams also have a subtitle mascot or nickname (reds, canaries, cherries, etc), but they’re less often used or referred to. 

2 hours ago, H2o said:

This is probably part of the reason, on top of the fact Snyder is just a douche. 

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/washington-redskins-name-trademark-martin-mccaulay/

Among them include the Washington Red Wolves, Washington Redtails, Washington Monuments, Washington Americans and Washington Veterans.

Well those all suck, so no harm done. I don't get It, if "Redwolves" is a choice, why not just "Wolves"? The alliteration is nice, the fans can be the #WolfPack and they won't be violating any of that guy's bs trademarks.

I'm ok with Football Team, too. Something about it I find hilarious. "Who's your favourite team?" "The Football Team" and everyone knows who you're talking about because there's only one football team in the NFL.

9 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

More accurately: OPFC. 

Orchard Park Football Club 

or

Buffalo City Football Club

Now...many of those Premier League Teams also have a subtitle mascot or nickname (reds, canaries, cherries, etc), but they’re less often used or referred to. 

Tottenham is referred to as Spurs more often than Tottenham. Also, Arsenal has the best nickname in the Gunners.

22 minutes ago, Rk_Bills86 said:

If it hasn't been brought up yet - the reason they haven't gotten a new name boils down to two things:

1) A legal copyright/trademark squatter who has bought the rights to virtually every suggested name over the past 15-20 years + the multiple logos. There were rules put in place to prevent something like this as it was seen as possible issue during the Dot Com boom - however the rules are pretty simple to circumvent if you are willing to put in the time/effort. It boils down to you need to use the name in some way (multiple usage stipulations are noted) and this one guy has basically done that. 

2) As mentioned, the team is most likely going to be up for sale, and it is not everyday that a new owner gets to walk into owning a new team and be welcomed to changing it's name. There is a rumor that Bezos wants to buy the team and many feel that if he does buy the team they could be renamed to the Washington Primes.

And more directly to the OP original post - I doubt the spike in sales from changing team name would be noticeable in the teams overall revenue stream.

New is always king - with or without a true logo. You might see slightly higher new sales if they had an actual logo attached, but truthfully, considered the current economic situation, sales are probably down across the board as is. Any rush they may have had to select a new name and push merchandise was most likely nullified.

That dude has no case on his team names...an NFL team would eat him for breakfast. Website actually lies and says the name is going to be used for flag team?

I thought Washington United should have been the name.

The name is used by several teams, so copyrights would be marginal and it would sister up with DC United.

I dont know about Snyder selling the team as a factor. He's still a businessman and could have sold a lot ofmerchandise.

Edited by RichRiderBills

53 minutes ago, T master said:

More than likely in today's over sensitive politically correct world they are worried that no matter what name they choose that they will offend somebody some where and the chance of that happening with the name they have won't happen so why chance it .

Seeing as here lately the Chiefs, Jeep Cherokee & others have been put in the sights of groups that want their names changed i can't say as i blame them .

They are a football team & they are from Washington so it's all good .

Some of them even have an issue with retaining the gold and burgundy. It's insane.

4 minutes ago, Tuel Time said:

I LOVE "The Football Team" name. It's so so good. Obviously I hope they keep it.

They are like the team name version of the Browns' helmets.

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, RichRiderBills said:

That dude has no case on his team names...an NFL team would eat him for breakfast. Website actually lies and says the name is going to be used for flag team?

I thought Washington United should have been the name.

The name is used by several teams, so copyrights would be marginal and it would sister up with DC United.

I dont know about Snyder selling the team as a factor. He's still a businessman and could have sold a lot ofmerchandise.

The "Dude" has every right to copyright and trade mark names that are NOT being used by anyone other than himself. That is literally how it works. This is in reference to the multitude of names the squatter has legally reserved rights to such as the  Washington - Redhawks, Diesels, Generals, Patriots, etc...

The guy literally reached out and offered several names for free and since he got no response he's not waiting to be contacted:

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/washington-redskins-name-change-trademark-squatter-says-only-four-name-options-are-viable-for-2020-season/

Your assertion that he has no right to the names is ridiculous. The guy could literally make a website tomorrow using the names and it would hold up in court. He's not the only one with names being squatted on. Any recent bar passing attorney would easily be able to dismiss a high profile team trying to strong arm an individual for a name they have had for years and can show records of use in any setting. An NFL team has no "RIGHT" to overtake a name and would lose embarrassingly in court. 

• Dislike 1

31 minutes ago, Boxcar said:

Some of them even have an issue with retaining the gold and burgundy. It's insane.

They are like the team name version of the Browns' helmets.

It's funny and it's unique. I love hearing people struggle to phrase "the Football Team" in conversations.

I love everything about it.