Which remaining Free Agent Pass Rusher would you like best?

Which remaining free agent rusher should Beane sign (if available for less than 7 mill per year)?  

123 members have voted

1. 1. Which remaining free agent rusher should Beane sign (if available for less than 7 mill per year)?

• Jadeveon Clowney
    • Justin Houston
    • Melvin Ingram
    • Carlos Dunlap
    • Someone from the rest of the field
    • Nope - 7 mill per year is still too rich for us

"That's a critical area for our football team to improve," McDermott said of the defensive line. "We have to be able to affect the quarterback with a four-man rush. I thought at times we did that. Other times we could have been better just like our entire defense and our entire football team. There's still meat on the bone there.

The first wave of signings is done - but a few good ones still remain and it looks like they will all sign for less than 7 mill per year. Which one do you think fits the Bills the best?

I am kinda sold on getting one of these 3 (in order):

1. Clowney 2. Ingram 3. Houston

Ingram and Houston fit the scheme better but Clowney  is an elite run defender who can really seal the edge and is younger.

Here is a pff writeup on Ingram and Clowney:

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-2021-nfl-free-agency-jadeveon-clowney-and-melvin-ingram-may-end-up-being-two-of-the-best-values-at-edge-this-offseason

Jadeveon Clowney and Melvin Ingram may end up being two of the best values at edge this offseason

Edited by IgotBILLStopay

I’m gonna pick no, we need an elite game changer kinda guy and I don’t see that in free agency. Of course I won’t be upset if they add someone but I don’t see anyone who imo changes this defense all that much. Gonna have to pin a lot on the youth to step their games up. Epenesa, Oliver, rookie (s) 

Good poll/idea OP. Think Ingram is probably the best option on a one-year prove-it deal with incentives. 

If there was an 'Anyone But Clowney' option, I would have picked that one. The guy just isn't a good football player and is always injured, I really don't get the love/hype for him. Also telling that none of his three previous teams have made much (if any) effort to re-sign him as far as I know. 

Upgrading edge at this point is a tough one because the difference makers in FA are gone and I don't believe there will be any edge prospects left at pick #30 that will be good value. Might be worth trading back and/or targeting some of the toolsy Day 2 guys.

Like @Rc2catch said above, our best hope is that Epenesa and Oliver take the next step in their development. Fortunately, I believe Star's return should help Oliver a lot in that regard and AJ will have his first NFL offseason/training camp to develop and figure out his playing weight.

• Thank you (+1) 1

Clowney is reportedly a locker room cancer.   Hard pass.    This ain't Madden or Fantasy football, boys.  

Grow your own.  As said above:  "Like @Rc2catch said above, our best hope is that Epenesa and Oliver take the next step in their development. Fortunately, I believe Star's return should help Oliver a lot in that regard and AJ will have his first NFL offseason/training camp to develop and figure out his playing weight." 

Edited by ProcessTruster

27 minutes ago, Dont Stop Billeiving said:

Good poll/idea OP. Think Ingram is probably the best option on a one-year prove-it deal with incentives. 

If there was an 'Anyone But Clowney' option, I would have picked that one. The guy just isn't a good football player and is always injured, I really don't get the love/hype for him. Also telling that none of his three previous teams have made much (if any) effort to re-sign him as far as I know. 

Upgrading edge at this point is a tough one because the difference makers in FA are gone and I don't believe there will be any edge prospects left at pick #30 that will be good value. Might be worth trading back and/or targeting some of the toolsy Day 2 guys.

Like @Rc2catch said above, our best hope is that Epenesa and Oliver take the next step in their development. Fortunately, I believe Star's return should help Oliver a lot in that regard and AJ will have his first NFL offseason/training camp to develop and figure out his playing weight.

The big advantage with Ingram is that you can line him all over the Dline. I remember the game against KC when he had 3.5 sacks. For the Chargers, he was Bosa before Bosa. And he does well as a weakside edge - and will complement Jerry Hughes well. But age is biatch ...

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Clowney. Most upside. Also people forget he's good vs the run. 

I would like to see Clowney also. Reminds me of Mario when we signed him even though he was already a stub. Clowney did go to S.C. not the biggest of towns for a football team. And since he has been in the NFL Houston, Seattle, Tenn. all big citys with lots of stuff to get into. I think Buffalo would make him feel the most at home, plus dude has to know he is running out of chances. I think he will either be a steal or a major bust either way he wont cost much and the upside is better then the downside.

• Like (+1) 1

Clowney at a discount rate should be everyone's choice. He has elite physical talent and is one of the best edge run defenders in the NFL. I think the Bills locker room can handle whatever personality he brings. 

The only reason he's a UFA is his asking price is always really high. 

I've literally been banging the table for Clowney for 3 years now, lol. I hope it happens. 

Edited by Buffalo_Stampede
  • Like (+1) 1

Clowney or Dunlap are both fine imo. Clowney is great against the run and gets pressure regardless if the numbers aren’t always there. For a cheap one year prove it deal either would be fine as we develop/rotate Epenesa and whatever pass rusher we take at 30. Pass rush is really our only glaring weakness. I have faith Beane will get r done

Dunlap seems like the best fit to me. He is a monster & would set the edge better than anybody else on the list, or our current roster. I'm tired of seeing QBs escape the pocket all too easily and complete 1st downs or TDs on us.

Last year was frustrating. I expected alot more from Addison. Jerry always gives the effort but we all saw how lacking we were all season (except for the Seattle game).  Epenesa may or may not work out? Can we sign a Dunlap for under 7? We absolutely have to draft a DE/Edge early and maybe another one late. KC showed the world it's small crack of vulnerability. Now it's up to BB to find that player who can hunt down Mahomes.