Brandon Beane on "easily" creating more Cap Space, as popularly stated

20 hours ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

One thing I keep seeing over and over is fans saying that Brandon Beane can "easily" create more cap space without detriment. Every time someone becomes available - it's the same thing. 

But I think you all should listen to Brandon's words. Just because you feel he "can" doesn't mean he will or he wants to. 

Below, you'll find his latest press conference. From 37:15 - 38:47 he discusses this thought process. I've also transcribed it if you can't watch the video atm:

Looks like he lied to you...

20 hours ago, jeremy2020 said:

People don't seem to get if you use up all your flexibility to make room than you no longer have flexibility to create room. They seem to believe you can just kick the can to next year and magically do it all over again. 

Looks like you can.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, TBBills said:

Looks like he lied to you...

Never spoke in absolutes. You'll also notice on the first page I said we might do a restructure and maybe make a small move or two (like Obada). But that the idea of being able to get whomever we want regardless of price (like Kyle Fuller or Jadeveon Clowney) bc he can easily find it is ridiculous.

2 minutes ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

Never spoke in absolutes. You'll also notice on the first page I said we might do a restructure and maybe make a small move or two (like Obada). But that the idea of being able to get whomever we want regardless of price (like Kyle Fuller or Jadeveon Clowney) bc he can easily find it is ridiculous.

main-qimg-3b11306f6017a1ebe10a5a3d4c2ced

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, MJS said:

Actually no, this move DID decrease flexibility in future years.

Yes but I honestly don't see how the cap doesn't return to trajectory in 2022. Vaccine rollout is way ahead of schedule so full attendance in September seems likely. They added a week 18 game IIRC. Revenue should jump and after spending cuts I'm not as worried going forward

28 minutes ago, WhitewalkerInPhilly said:

Yes but I honestly don't see how the cap doesn't return to trajectory in 2022. Vaccine rollout is way ahead of schedule so full attendance in September seems likely. They added a week 18 game IIRC. Revenue should jump and after spending cuts I'm not as worried going forward

Just remember with the cap at 182 this year (rather than the 150 million based upon revenue) - they still have around 30 million in overcharge for this year.  The owners will have that 30 million out of the cap the next 2 years to balance the overspend for this year.

So if the cap returns to normal - the league still has to pull 15+ million out each of the next 2 years to balance (or it could be mostly next year and less in 2 years - they have not provided the breakdown yet).  Therefore; potentially cutting the cap for next year (even with a return to normal) to under what it was last year and a small increase over the 182 for this year.

Also- yes they are adding an additional game, but they are potentially losing 2 preseason games where the players are not paid.  Not sure the revenue doesn’t just balance out as price/cost for season tickets and tv deals - preseason was charged at the same rate as regular season. 

45 minutes ago, jeremy2020 said:

I know you wanted to score internet points, but it doesn't work if you don't read the article and just look silly. 

Beane kicked up more cap space with a snap of his fingers.

1 hour ago, MJS said:

Actually no, this move DID decrease flexibility in future years.

Just like I said...