Not Sure We Will Repeat as AFCE Champs

1 minute ago, hondo in seattle said:

IMHO, we're not stacked.

Our D was ranked 14th in yards allowed, 16th in points allowed.  Hopefully Star's return helps.  But based on last years performance, I wouldn't say our D is stacked.

All our RBs put together produced  a mere 1301 yards.  Our RB room is not stacked.  

Our offensive line often gets TE and RB help - far more than the NFL average - to protect Josh.  This is despite the fact most of our linemen are better at pass pro than run blocking.  Our OL is not stacked.  

Knox is our best TE and he often drops balls and often whiffs on blocks.  Our TE room is not stacked.  

Our QB and WR rooms, on the other hand, are undeniably stacked.  

As Happy Days suggested, maybe I should have said we're not ready yet to compete with the Chiefs.  Until our opponents find QBs, we're still the best team in the AFCE - though it'll be tougher this year.  

We could run the ball in 2019 with essentially the same offensive line minus Daryl Williams.  There is absolutely no way they can figure it out this year to get back to 2019 form?

Show me a stat that shows we by far have TE and RB block more than any other team in the league.

Bills currently have the best QB in the division, and it's not even close. 

NE has an all-time great coach, so they could always be dangerous. They finished 7-9 with their entire defense opting out and almost no talent on offense. I wouldn't write them off. 

NE is now the pre-Josh Allen Bills. Chasing the top team but without a QB to match up. 

Just now, ngbills said:

I agree for the most part. My bet would be we sweep the Jets but could potentially go 3-1/2-2 vs Pats and Fins. So that is either 5-1 or 4-2 vs the division and likely win the division at 11-5 to 13-3. I am not as easily ready to count out NE yet. We still dont know who is QB is and they have added a ton of pieces. People act like they went 2-14 last year when they were 7-9. They added some pieces so would not be shocked to see them go 10-6.  

I think Cam is likely the starter, and his career after the MVP season is about as good as it gets with him.   Having Agholor, Edelman, Bourne takes them from having by far the worst WR corps in the nfl, to something in the bottom third.  The TEs are solid chain movers, cam is a solid short yardage option.  They will be better on offense.  The defense is still good - van noy fills a place they were sorely missing.  They should be better against the run, and Judon is a solid player.  

I look at them like they went from a bad 7-9 to a good 9-7. 

1 minute ago, Royale with Cheese said:

We could run the ball in 2019 with essentially the same offensive line minus Daryl Williams.  There is absolutely no way they can figure it out this year to get back to 2019 form?

Show me a stat that shows we by far have TE and RB block more than any other team in the league.

The team was never good at running the ball under daboll.  8th in rushing but 500 of the 2000 total came from the QB.  Most of allens rushing yards come on QB scrambles, so those are in a way pass plays - just like sacks.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, ChevyVanMiller said:

The Bills did exactly what you would want a division winner to do. They re-signed all of their important free agents, replaced their number two wide receiver with someone who is comparable at best and most likely an upgrade, and solidified the back up QB position in case Josh gets injured and misses games.

Plus there is still the draft to come to add further to the roster.

Take a deep breath and relax because the Buffalo Bills will be winning the AFC East for many years to come.

It looks like we are going to have to actually play the games, I’m afraid. 

Remember when we were thrilled to be in the playoffs as a wild card? That seems like so long ago in my mind, but it was not. I’m thrilled with where we sit at this point in time and I think we still have to be the favorites. We still have to go out and DO IT ON THE FIELD. 

Edited by Augie

24 minutes ago, Inigo Montoya said:

Hey Hondo,

I think your post above is a reasonable position.

Until I see the breaking news that Deshaun Watson has been traded to a team in the AFCE, I still think it's the Bills' division to lose.  We have avoided the curse of many teams after a very successful season... we have avoided a major exodus of talent.  Standing pat is not always a bad thing, and realistically, Beane had very little choice in the matter with COVID pulling the salary cap rug out from under his feet. 

I'm shocked he was able to do as much as he's done so far.  I expected two of our three big free agents to walk.  If I had posted on this site two weeks ago that the Bills were going to re-sign Daryl Williams, Matt Milano, Feliciano, McKenzie, and Levi Wallace...  AND ...upgrade the backup QB position and replace John Brown with a comparable or better option to be our WR3, people would have pilloried me.  

🍻

Thanks for the encouragement.

And I agree that Beane has done great work this offseason just avoiding an exodus.  McD deserves some of the credit too because he's created a culture that players like.  Looking at some of the contracts, I think we may have received a few hometown discounts.  

And, yeah, Covid and a decreasing cap present challenges.  But the contracts that pushed us up against the cap are Beane contracts.  This off-season he was solving problems that were mostly of his own creation.

But given the situation we were in (a product of Beane's past decisions and a modest 2021 cap number), Bean has done amazing work keeping as many players as he has and adding a few more interesting pieces.  Like you, I think this off-season has worked out better than I initially expected.  

But not as well as I hoped.  Because - dammit - I'm greedy and I want all our roster gaps filled before the draft.   

52 minutes ago, Chicharito said:

Even if they trade for Watson he’s probably not going to play for a bit! I can see 8 game suspension coming his way!

The Fins are missing for the most part a QB. Watson is one of the best in the business. He would dramatically improve their chances. I would still favor the Bills even if the Fins get Watson but it would drastically close the gap as the Bills QB advantage would be nullified. 

Pats invested $38m a year in 3 offensive weapons (Agholor, Hunter, Jonnu) that combined average 200 less yards a season than what Diggs put up by himself last year alone.

So why are people so enamored with the Pats signings?

6 minutes ago, hondo in seattle said:

But the contracts that pushed us up against the cap are Beane contracts.  This off-season he was solving problems that were mostly of his own creation.

Was he not supposed to spend money to improve the team to the point where they were 13-3 and in the AFCCG? I don’t really understand this train of thought... it’s not just you... I hear it a lot. 

No COVID and we’re sitting at $30M in cap space entering this off-season. We weren’t up against the cap the way he had it planned out... he’s a pretty meticulous guy. Things changed on a worldwide scale that nobody could foresee...  

Edited by JGMcD2
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, dneveu said:

The team was never good at running the ball under daboll.  8th in rushing but 500 of the 2000 total came from the QB.  Most of allens rushing yards come on QB scrambles, so those are in a way pass plays - just like sacks.

When we hired Daboll, I remember reading an observation from a fellow coach that Daboll was better with passing concepts than run concepts.

Daboll is certainly no Greg Roman when it comes to running the ball, but I don't think it's all on him.  I think Moss and Singletary are backups.  And I think most of our offensive linemen are better at pass protection than road grading.  That's not altogether a bad thing.  Without spending a boatload of money, Beane had to find Allen some decent bodyguards and he did.  

2 minutes ago, inaugural balls said:

This thread flat out sucks on so many levels.

Just awful. 

I have to believe this is merely an attention grab. Mission accomplished. :thumbsup:

Your belief is wrong.  I'm seriously concerned.  

When he first got here, Beane started  jettisoning players to solve the coming cap problems and help build the culture.  He began with addition by subtraction.

Since that first year, though, he's made the roster stronger each off-season.  Till now.  

Don't get me wrong, this is a good team.  But for us to create a dynasty, dominate the AFCE, and compete for Lombardis, we need a better roster than the one we have right now.  Yet, thanks partly to Covid, we find ourselves in a situation where we can barely hang on to last year's players, let alone acquire the FAs that would help get us to the SB.  

Pats have an old and worn down Cam as starting QB - trying to reuse the formula that worked with Brady. Their D is older and missing parts

Phins - unless Tua overcomes a LOT of his short comings (no pun intended) they won't be anything to worry about. New O system to learn.

Jets - Hoping and praying Darnold or a rookie QB will somehow lead them to the promise land. Oh and 2 new systems.

Yeah.... sorry - we are clearly the front runners to be repeat champs unless something drastic changes. We are better on O, and slightly better on D having Star back - this is without adding in any impact players we might have from the draft.  A full and possibly regular off-season for Allen to get more reps in with Diggs and Davis and Sanders? The D last year was getting used to a lot of new pieces - which right now equates to the return of Star and figuring out who CB2 is. There is zero reason to think we should not be favored to roll the division. 

10 minutes ago, JGMcD2 said:

Was he not supposed to spend money to improve the team to the point where they were 13-3 and in the AFCCG? I don’t really understand this train of thought... it’s not just you... I hear it a lot. 

No COVID and we’re sitting at $30M in cap space entering this off-season. We weren’t up against the cap the way he had it planned out... he’s a pretty meticulous guy. Things changed on a worldwide scale that nobody could foresee...  

This makes complete sense to me, actually.  I'm sure Beane did have all his spending meticulously planned out years ahead.  

But Covid did happen and we're hamstrung more than some other teams.  

Look, while I do think Beane could have done some things better, overall I'm happy with the guy.  But this is less about pointing fingers and more about observing that we need to get better this offseason and we're not.   Building a serviceable OL mostly out of affordable journeymen, signing Beasley, signing Diggs...  Bean's done a lot in previous free agency periods.  Not so much this year when more work needs to be done.

Bojo punted like what, twice a game?

McK has a TD more than Andre did last year on ST.

This was supposed to be funny I’m guessing???

.....we got better IMO and have the 2 best QBs in the division.

period.

5 minutes ago, Just Joshin' said:

Why can't some  Bills fans handle winning or losing?  I guess it is better to be woe is me.

I love winning and enjoyed last season immensely.  

I just want to enjoy this season even more.  I want to win the AFCE and see Josh throw the Lombardi to Diggs from yacht to yacht.  

But I'm not confident we have the roster to make that happen.