Noticed something as I've looked back at last season's games

IMO its a small sample size and thats why it changed so suddenly.  In those ten games there were many drives where most of hte work was done in the 3rd quarter and then they punched it in at the start of the 4th.  Really dont think this was a thing. 

3 drives i quickly found that started in the 3rd, were in the opponents territory at the start of the 4th and went for 7 in the 4th

Raiders, NE (1st game), Seattle.  21 point swing there.  

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/202010040rai.htm

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/202011010buf.htm

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/202011080buf.htm

Edited by YattaOkasan

1 hour ago, JÂy RÛßeÒ said:

Up until the bye, we SUCKED in the 3rd quarter.  

In the 10 games before the bye, we were outscored 76-30 (including being shut out 5 times) in the 3rd quarter.  The only team we outscored was the Jets, when we got 2 of our 6 field goals.

In the 9 games after the bye (including playoffs), we totally reversed that suckage and outscored opponents 82-35. We were never held scoreless while we held 5 teams off the scoreboard (including Indy & Baltimore in the playoffs).

I wonder what caused the change?  Coaches/coordinators, making better halftime adjustments & managing things better?  Players/team leaders, not losing intensity during the intermission?  Maybe we won the toss & deferred to get the ball in the 3rd more often after the bye...

#ThingsThatMakeYouGoHmmm  

Ritual sacrifice to heathen gods

1 hour ago, JÂy RÛßeÒ said:

Maybe McDermott started entering the halftime locker room more like this:

giphy.gif

IT'S FU@@ING EMBARRASSING!

Funny - I just started watching Letterkenny a couple months ago and am realizing now that for years on sports msg boards I've been subjected to letterkenny references that just totally flew over my head (esp HFBoards)

Edited by stevewin
  • Like (+1) 1

The two biggest things that turned the season around (other than Allen's injury and the COVID rescheduling) were when Spain got cut and the loss to the Cardinals. Particularly the Spain thing, I think there was something going on behind the scenes that affected the squad.

2 hours ago, Freddie's Dead said:

Over the 2nd half of the season, it became increasingly apparent that Josh Allen is the best QB in the NFL.  If we ever get a running game....

balance, shmalance, its a passing league.  light 'em up.   the Bills bread and butter , their "fastball", as McD puts it, is the pass game.   

We gonna call this pass game "Cowboys and Mustangs" ! 

• Like (+1) 1

Every season that McDermott has been here the team has looked much better the 2nd half of the season. It's the mark of a good coaching staff. Look at our 2nd games against the Dolphins and Patriots. We went from competitive matchups to blowing them out of the water even with our backups.

7 hours ago, JÂy RÛßeÒ said:

Up until the bye, we SUCKED in the 3rd quarter.  

In the 10 games before the bye, we were outscored 76-30 (including being shut out 5 times) in the 3rd quarter.  The only team we outscored was the Jets, when we got 2 of our 6 field goals.

In the 9 games after the bye (including playoffs), we totally reversed that suckage and outscored opponents 82-35. We were never held scoreless while we held 5 teams off the scoreboard (including Indy & Baltimore in the playoffs).

I wonder what caused the change?  Coaches/coordinators, making better halftime adjustments & managing things better?  Players/team leaders, not losing intensity during the intermission?  Maybe we won the toss & deferred to get the ball in the 3rd more often after the bye...

#ThingsThatMakeYouGoHmmm  

They just wised up and started coming out playing to win in the second half instead of playing not to lose/trying to protect leads.

It was a long running weakness of the team and it was becoming part of McD's identity.

Go back to 2017........turtling right after halftime @NYJ game and putting the game on a tired defense triggered their epic 3 game slide.........the issue kept propping its head up all the way thru the blowing of the 16 point lead in the WC game.  

After the Hail Murray blown second half lead they shed that conservative tendency.........and were rewarded.

Edited by BADOLBILZ
  • Like (+1) 3

First off if you look at the game threads after the arizona game there were alot of posters on tbd mention the 3rd quarter jinx

Then next game we scored right away in the 3rd quarter and no one really talked about it again.

Its called drive the players were more focused after that game and wanted to blowout teams not just sit back and say on to the forth quarter. The team realized it's know or never. There was a team diff did not want to feel that hurt again like they did after the arizona game. Team effort and coaches.

That is why the bills were the highest score g team in the league from that game on

There was lots of gripes and gnashing of teeth over this issue, while that dubious streak was happening, it was a combination of coaching and execution.