New Jets WR Corey Davis insinuates that Sam Darnold will be the Jets' starting QB in 2021

Logic

2 hours ago, Doc said:

After that Vikings game I thought he was the franchise QB the Bills had needed.  Then the next game against the Packers happened and...

But it worked out eventually.

I never bought into the "X team ruined Y QB" stuff.  You either have it or you don't and your talent will shine through.  Darnold looks like the same QB I saw in college, which is why I never bought into the hype and didn't want him.

I went out & bought Josh's jersey right after the Vikings game & it's the 1st jersey I ever bought (I'm in my 60s so it shows you what I thought of Josh). 

I totally agree on the ruined QB stuff.  I've been saying for many years no team can ruin a QB unless they do something stupid that he gets a career threatening injury that could have been avoided.  I believe QBs ruin coaches careers, not the other way around.   

• Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, machine gun kelly said:

If you had Zay Jones, kelvin Benjamen, Robert Foster, you’d look terrible too like our boy.

the jests are a trash heap like we were prior to Mc beane.  

My prior comments on Darnold in Pitt, ATL, and TB is the best way for him to maybe rehab his career.  At least a serviceable backup.  I don’t know if he ever makes it back to a starter, but it’s probably his only shot.

Gentlemen and ladies, enjoy you’re Saturday.

I'm kind of turning that first statement over in my mind.  (Don't forget Andre Holmes and Charles Clay at TE)

On the one hand, it's true that the Bills WR corps in 2018 was weak-sauce.  So was our OL, which was porous against the pass rush and solid when holes were needed in the run game.

On the other hand, I think Allen and his "camp" would be the first to admit that he needed serious upgrades to every aspect of his NFL QB game.  He needed better ability to read defenses, to know where the open WR would be given the defense, better knowledge of our pass protections, ability to throw with anticipation which he did not do, improved accuracy at the "bunnies" and in the 10-20 yd range - and so forth. 

And I think Allen's development needs were shown pretty clearly when Derek Anderson threw for 313 yds in his 2nd game with this motley crew then Barkley threw for 247 in his first start 2 weeks later (Foster had 105 yds and Jones 93).  Was the rest of the offense good enough, No - but you got a glimpse that they could be better than they'd shown themselves to be with a very raw rookie.

What we saw with Allen his rookie season of course, was that intense competitive fire - that "I'll do anything to win, I'll jump over guys, I'll run through guys" mentality.  And then by the end of the season you saw glimpses that he could develop into something as a passing QB.

Anyway.  On the one hand, Darnold was supposed to be by far the more polished and proficient QB when he was drafted at #3 overall, and it's pretty clear they Jets did him no favors with "churn" at Head Coach and OC.  But in 2019 anyway, before the season, Bell at RB and a WR room of Crowder, Robby Anderson, and Demaryius Thomas as the savvy vet was supposed to be a pretty good season.

I think Darnold needs a "fresh start", but it's not beyond belief to me that the Jets might draft a QB high, AND keep Darnold as a "don't throw the rookie into the fire if he needs a development year" hedge.

• Like (+1) 1

41 minutes ago, machine gun kelly said:

If you had Zay Jones, kelvin Benjamen, Robert Foster, you’d look terrible too like our boy.

the jests are a trash heap like we were prior to Mc beane.  

My prior comments on Darnold in Pitt, ATL, and TB is the best way for him to maybe rehab his career.  At least a serviceable backup.  I don’t know if he ever makes it back to a starter, but it’s probably his only shot.

Gentlemen and ladies, enjoy you’re Saturday.

Don't forget the state of the OL.  Wood had just retired and Richie went crazy.

10 minutes ago, Albany,n.y. said:

I went out & bought Josh's jersey right after the Vikings game & it's the 1st jersey I ever bought (I'm in my 60s so it shows you what I thought of Josh). 

I totally agree on the ruined QB stuff.  I've been saying for many years no team can ruin a QB unless they do something stupid that he gets a career threatening injury that could have been avoided.  I believe QBs ruin coaches careers, not the other way around.   

I was debating mentioning that and talking about RGIII.  But that's fairly uncommon.

On 3/27/2021 at 12:48 AM, BillsFan692 said:

I dunno what you smokin josh allen looked excellent from the moment he hit the field. When I saw him leap over the LB and beat the snot out of Minnesota I was like wow... he is that dude. Lol

Coincidentally its been my profile picture ever since. Never questioned JA17 since that day, because he is that dude and sometimes you just know that dude when you see that dude. Sam Darnold is not that dude.

You know what I mean, dude?

I just realized my profile pic is going to be out of date soon.

On 3/27/2021 at 9:36 AM, YoloinOhio said:

Poor sam

Poor Zach.

Edited by Warcodered
  • Haha (+1) 2

The niners attempting to trade with the jets but not able to pull it off and then to offer 3 first rd picks and a 3rd to Miami has me convinced that the Jets are taking Wilson. Maybe someone offers more?  Denver?  Carolina?  I don’t think so.  I think they are sold on Wilson and he’s what they want with the 2nd pick 

I'm sure a newly signed receiver is privy to all their plans at the QB position.

Of course, it is the Jets. Maybe they do reveal their plans to anyone who asks nicely...

18 hours ago, BigDingus said:

No matter how good a prospect is, a dumpster fire organization can destroy their chances. 

The Bills would've ruined Andrew Luck or Patrick Mahomes under previous regimes. Darnold is pretty unlikely to suddenly emerge as a great QB after what he's been through, but he could at least turn it around into an Alex Smith-like career under better management. 

Darnold looked pretty decent his first couple of years, in my opinion. He definately struggled last year, but his first couple years he showed a lot of good stuff and showed good development.

Before last season there were still plenty of people willing to claim that Darnold was better than Allen and that he would have a better career than Allen. One season completely changed the narrative.

I think Darnold can be a good QB still. But it is NOT going to be for the Jets.

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, MJS said:

Darnold looked pretty decent his first couple of years, in my opinion. He definately struggled last year, but his first couple years he showed a lot of good stuff and showed good development.

Before last season there were still plenty of people willing to claim that Darnold was better than Allen and that he would have a better career than Allen. One season completely changed the narrative.

I think Darnold can be a good QB still. But it is NOT going to be for the Jets.

I wouldn't call his 2nd season that good.  He had 21 total TDs to 16 total TOs.  That's not going to get it done.

3 minutes ago, Bleedingreennc said:

Part of me thinks that the Jets are drafting Wilson, but something is also telling me that they might surprise everyone and draft Pitts. It is possible that we keep Sam and try one more year.

If they turned down three 1sts and a 3rd from SF to stand pat and take a tight end?!?! 

Yowza.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3

3 minutes ago, Logic said:

If they turned down three 1sts and a 3rd from SF to stand pat and take a tight end?!?! 

Yowza.

Agreed, i would lose my mind. Thats the part that makes me think Wilson is the pick. Apparently Shanahan was with Fields a month ago at a training thing.

• Like (+1) 2

38 minutes ago, Logic said:

Yowza.

Yeah, no way they turn down San Francisco’s offer unless they’re taking a quarterback. 

34 minutes ago, Bleedingreennc said:

Agreed, i would lose my mind. Thats the part that makes me think Wilson is the pick. Apparently Shanahan was with Fields a month ago at a training thing.

Most likely it’s Fields. I can’t see him going with Lance that high.

Edited by Doc
  • Like (+1) 1

37 minutes ago, TBBills said:

Poor Zack another QB about to ruin his career b.c of the Jets.

No QB has “ruined his career because of the Jets”.  False narrative.  Just as no QB has “ruined his career because of the Bills”. Darnold sucks.  He is not a victim.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

19 hours ago, Bleedingreennc said:

There was an article in the NY Post last week that said "sources" around the Jets said that JD prefers Wilson but members of the Jets coaching staff are trying to state a case for Darnold but its JD's call. Obviously this is all speculation and we won't know until the draft. In my meaningless opinion I think the Jets take Wilson. 

The NY Jets won't stay at #2 and NOT take a QB!

Then again, it is the Jets and they have proven time after time to do the wrong thing. Like like trading up to take Same Darnold in the first place and missing on Josh Allen! 😆

Otherwise they trade back like the Dolphins did... with Tua as it appears they are staying with him at QB. This move says the Phins are no longer interested in trading for Watson too.

Consensus is that the Jets take Zach Wilson @#2 and trade Darnold. 

Next thought is, who exactly do the 49ers want at #3 to trade away the farm to get him? 

Trey Lance, North Dakota St

Justin Fields, Ohio St

Mac Jones, Alabama

Rumor has it... that "if" the 49ers pass on Lance and take Justin Fields that the Patriots will make a move to trade up to the #4 spot for Trey Lance. 

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Nihilarian said:

The NY Jets won't stay at #2 and NOT take a QB!

Then again, it is the Jets and they have proven time after time to do the wrong thing. Like like trading up to take Same Darnold in the first place and missing on Josh Allen! 😆

Otherwise they trade back like the Dolphins did... with Tua as it appears they are staying with him at QB. This move says the Phins are no longer interested in trading for Watson too.

Consensus is that the Jets take Zach Wilson @#2 and trade Darnold. 

Next thought is, who exactly do the 49ers want at #3 to trade away the farm to get him? 

Trey Lance, North Dakota St

Justin Fields, Ohio St

Mac Jones, Alabama

Rumor has it... that "if" the 49ers pass on Lance and take Justin Fields that the Patriots will make a move to trade up to the #4 spot for Trey Lance. 

Lance seems like a guy the pats can get without trading up. I keep seeing Round 2 grades for lance. Physically gifted, the type that could become a Justin fields.  With the right coaching but such a small sample size of film vs low level competition. He is the type that really has to go to the right environment. 1st round physical talent, but couldn’t see a comfort level with the overall player to trade up like that. One game this year and it was bad, so focusing only on 2019. Could see him in the Arthur smith offense in Atlanta but needs a red shirt year. Would be great if Falcons could trade up from 36 into bottom of 1st.