Another week, another mass murder

Officials said the gunman, a 19-year-old, was a former employee of the company whose mother had warned law enforcement officials last year that he might try to attempt “suicide by cop.” An F.B.I. special agent confirmed that the gunman had been interviewed by federal agents in April 2020, and that he was put on an “immediate detention mental health temporary hold.”

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nytimes.com/live/2021/04/16/us/indianapolis-fedex-shooting.amp.html%3f0p19G=0232

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

Does anyone know what “immediate detention mental health temporary hold” actually means?  Does it mean that if he underwent a background check to purchase a gun that he'd be denied?   I saw a report that the police or the FBI confiscated the gun he owned in 2020, but he obviously acquired a new one.  

25 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

Six or less in a minute just as an example. That might have saved a couple people here in Indy the other day.  Or some kids at Sandy Hook.  Or some folks in Las Vegas.  Or so on.  

Limit the ammunition it gives people time to take cover and/or use their own gun to take out the shooter before he can kill more people.  Rather than absolutist positions, have a calm and reasoned discussion.

Ok I can probably squeeze off 40 in less than a minute with my pistol and I'm nowhere near a expert.  Do you shoot?

Just now, Chef Jim said:

Ok I can probably squeeze off 40 in less than a minute with my pistol and I'm nowhere near a expert.  Do you shoot?

No I don’t.  Is that because you rapidly change magazines?  Then perhaps we focus on changing that aspect.

2 minutes ago, SoTier said:

Does anyone know what “immediate detention mental health temporary hold” actually means?  Does it mean that if he underwent a background check to purchase a gun that he'd be denied?   I saw a report that the police or the FBI confiscated the gun he owned in 2020, but he obviously acquired a new one.  

Don’t know, was wondering same. Apparently they heard enough to confiscate a weapon. If he was able to legally buy another that’s a big problem.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

Don’t know, was wondering same. Apparently they heard enough to confiscate a weapon. If he was able to legally buy another that’s a big problem.

Need to get a handle on that for sure.  There are so many things that could be done.  The absolutist positions paralyze any progress.

• Agree 1

14 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

It’s basic math

No it's physics.  :doh:

5 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

No I don’t.  Is that because you rapidly change magazines?  Then perhaps we focus on changing that aspect.

I can change magazines.  Not sure if you'd call it rapidly but yeah.  See you're arguing a point you don't know much about.  

So what aspect of the reloading of magazines would you suggest?  

20 minutes ago, SoTier said:

Partly true.   An experienced muzzleloader user can get off maybe 2 shots in a minute.  A lucky shooter with a semi-automatic rifle can get off 20-30 rounds in a minute.  An experienced shooter can reload and get off many more shots.   Limiting the types of guns civilians can own won't stop the entire problem but it can certainly lessen the carnage.

Lessen it?  Then what?  

1 minute ago, oldmanfan said:

How would you limit the ability of this kid in Indy to shoot dozens of bullets in a minute?  You don’t see that as a problem?

When I asked you how many bullets in a minute you said less than six.  That's laughable.  A typical mag holds 10 rounds. I can easily unload all rounds in under 10 seconds.  How long did the Austin Texas shooter take to kill 15 people in 1966?  I'll answer for you. An hour and a half.  So again it's not the weapon of choice.  Killers gonna kill 

How would you limit the ability of this kid in Indy to shoot dozens of bullets in a minute?  You don’t see that as a problem?

Ideally?  Do the best you can to make sure he never gets ahold of a weapon.  Any weapon.  But good luck with that. 

2 minutes ago, Chef Jim said:

When I asked you how many bullets in a minute you said less than six.  That's laughable.  A typical mag holds 10 rounds. I can easily unload all rounds in under 10 seconds.  How long did the Austin Texas shooter take to kill 15 people in 1966?  I'll answer for you. An hour and a half.  So again it's not the weapon of choice.  Killers gonna kill 

Ideally?  Do the best you can to make sure he never gets ahold of a weapon.  Any weapon.  But good luck with that. 

I agree with the latter.  Question:  do you think that every one of these mass shooters over the past decade or so would have failed a background check?

1 hour ago, Unforgiven said:

This is probably a lot more true nowadays...I'm willing to bet a large portion of hard core

leftists use pot.

I’m warming up to the idea myself.  Been a long time since college, and I

seemed pretty happy then.  And if not happy, hungry.  And yeah, people were always laughing at me and out to get me but i

made it. 

I agree with the latter.  Question:  do you think that every one of these mass shooters over the past decade or so would have failed a background check?

Of course not. I'm smart enough to realize this is a problem that can't be solved.  Potentially reduced?  Yes but only potentially.  Solved?  Never.  

4 minutes ago, leh-nerd skin-erd said:

seemed pretty happy then.  And if not happy, hungry.  And yeah, people were always laughing at me and out to get me but i

made it. 

Be careful main. This ain't your college weed.  The amount that I'd smoke in a day in college lasts me 3 months or more.  

• Haha (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, leh-nerd skin-erd said:

made it. 

And that's fine, used to casual smoke myself ...I still have to wonder if pot use is directly 

contributing to the surge of mental health issues we've seen over the past decade or so.

Plus the stuff people are smoking is highly messed with...not dads homegrown.

Edited by Unforgiven

1 hour ago, Chef Jim said:

If you noticed my idea says nothing about what types of guns we can own.  Eliminating what types of guns we can own will NOT fix this. 

Sure, but as you point out, neither will background checks. So absent a fix, the objective should be a rational reduction in ability to inflict death. 

So as a thought experiment if you had to have a gun fight against someone else, out in public, would you rather a 9mm std magazine pistol or an AR15 with a 30 round clip. assume you have had ample time to practice with either. 

9 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

Sure, but as you point out, neither will background checks. So absent a fix, the objective should be a rational reduction in ability to inflict death. 

So as a thought experiment if you had to have a gun fight against someone else, out in public, would you rather a 9mm std magazine pistol or an AR15 with a 30 round clip. assume you have had ample time to practice with either. 

Better background checks will not fix this. Nothing will fix this. But working the human angle vs the weapon of choice will work better IMO

Regarding your hypothetical situation?  The AR of course. What’s your point?

11 minutes ago, Chef Jim said:

Better background checks will not fix this. Nothing will fix this. But working the human angle vs the weapon of choice will work better IMO

Simple; The less damaging firearms these killers have access to, the less damage they can do. 

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, Chef Jim said:

Of course not. I'm smart enough to realize this is a problem that can't be solved.  Potentially reduced?  Yes but only potentially.  Solved?  Never.  

Be careful main. This ain't your college weed.  The amount that I'd smoke in a day in college lasts me 3 months or more.  

I’ve heard that and it’s why I’m still contemplating a year or two after beginning to contemplate.  🙄

1 hour ago, Unforgiven said:

And that's fine, used to casual smoke myself ...I still have to wonder if pot use is directly 

contributing to the surge of mental health issues we've seen over the past decade or so.

Plus the stuff people are smoking is highly messed with...not dads homegrown.

Yup, reasonable concern.  My thought is that a lot of the mental health issue can be traced back to our societal desire to tell every child born over the past 25 years that they have mental health issues, combined with a 24 hour news cycle that reminds them that they should be worried 24 hours a day, and the proliferation of pharmaceutical drugs to treat same. 

43 minutes ago, Chef Jim said:

I do think there is a certain profile for mass shootings, the ones with poor social skills who literally live in their parents basement, who would never have been able to aquire guns had it not been for the internet. 

Certainly not all of these events, but a number of them, would have been prevented if it weren't possible to go online and order guns and ammo. 

52 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

Simple; The less damaging firearms these killers have access to, the less damage they can do. 

Disagee. They want to cause as much damage as possible. You really think the FedEx guy would have shot fewer is he had a handgun?

This is not a perfect analogy but it’s kind of like reducing drunk driving deaths by making whiskey illegal. 

23 minutes ago, Motorin' said:

I do think there is a certain profile for mass shootings, the ones with poor social skills who literally live in their parents basement, who would never have been able to aquire guns had it not been for the internet. 

Certainly not all of these events, but a number of them, would have been prevented if it weren't possible to go online and order guns and ammo. 

So no guns or ammo available online and the deranged mind just goes “oh well I’ll just watch TV”.