Giving The D A Pass

wagne591

1 hour ago, Mr. WEO said:

Wow.  So much being put on Star, a situational player who chose not to play last year, coming in and having what would have to be a career year to live up to expectations.

i dont know about that. i just think we need more weight on the d line(in addition to a passrusher)  We lost 2 good fat guys last yr.Thats why we were only barely avg on D .

Edited by Tcali

1 hour ago, Boxcar said:

My thought is that many people are grossly overstating how bad the defense was last year. It was above average and our two top LBs were injured most of the season.

Yes. The last half of the year they were really good.

24 minutes ago, glazeduck said:

Nope. Edmunds struggled this year, no question, but he’s not been Oliver-bad, ever, in my opinion. 

Oliver was the higher draft pick and has done far less in his time here. 

Oliver has consistently improved. He has been good, it was his second year, and he and Edmunds were the two players most hurt by Star's absence. They both look like key building blocks and long-term fixtures. 

Both need to improve, but so does everyone.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Mr. WEO said:

Wow.  So much being put on Star, a situational player who chose not to play last year, coming in and having what would have to be a career year to live up to expectations.

No reason to think so. They were an elite D in 2019, with Star and substantially the same best players.

The OP is dead right on this ... without him the DL is athletic but small and could be pushed around. With him in there getting the doubles, they don't look so small anymore and everyone else gets a lot more single blocks. There was a ripple effect that we saw in 2019 that was not there last year.

Star's not a great player, but he's a guy who does his one thing very well.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, JGMcD2 said:

This is very true. VERY true and very well said. 

We sorely need a guy who can cover TE. The Buffalo Nickel so to speak... I think the front office has known that for awhile now. I’m actually upset/surprised they took Epenesa over Chinn last year. 

I really thought that they were going to go with Dugger had he been there or Chinn. I suppose they didn’t foresee Epenesa being available. 

Dugger played about 1.5miles from me, was really excited about him..... then NE happened 🤢

• Like (+1) 1

A better 1-tech DT will make Oliver and Edmunds more effective and lessen the pressure on our safeties to make so many run stops.  Hanging this responsibility solely on Star wouldn't be my preference.  I'd love to see a 1-tech in rounds 2-4.

• Agree 1

13 minutes ago, In Summary said:

A better 1-tech DT will make Oliver and Edmunds more effective and lessen the pressure on our safeties to make so many run stops.  Hanging this responsibility solely on Star wouldn't be my preference.  I'd love to see a 1-tech in rounds 2-4.

This draft is deep with big nose tackles. Want the Bills to get the nastiest. One that can stop the run and push the interior of the line. Too many times QBs were able to step up in the pocket and deliver passes. I like Slaton late in the draft. Others are Lorenzo Neal Jr and Quinton Bohanna

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

Out of all the Edge guys, I think I like Azeez Oujlari the best but idk how he fits, he’s about 6’2 250. I think I’d roll the dice there at 30 if he’s still there 

we need a true 1T to replace Star who clearly won’t be here after next year. 

42 minutes ago, gonzo1105 said:

Out of all the Edge guys, I think I like Azeez Oujlari the best but idk how he fits, he’s about 6’2 250. I think I’d roll the dice there at 30 if he’s still there 

I like Paye and Phillips more than Ojulari, but I don’t think he’s a fit here at all. He’s going to have to go to an odd front defense and be rush LB. Don’t see him as a good fit for us at all. 

2 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

Yeah I agree.  Since when has this cat been above average EVER?  Much less taking a full year off, has a lot of miles on him, hasn't played a live snap in well over a year.  If he's been training like a freak and focused, maybe he meets expectations but I feel like we've generally been overestimating the guy since he's been gone.

I make that mistake with my ex girlfriends, and then when I see em again I'm like "uhhhhh, yeah so I mustve been remembering only the good stuff...."

• Like (+1) 1

Oliver has not lived up to his draft status.  Edmunds regressed badly. Even White had a few games where he struggled. Despite whatever win rate means the D-line was not affecting the opposing QB much and to compensate Frazier blitzed more than he ever has. H. Phillips did not look good coming off injury and was outplayed by journeyman Zimmerman. 

Star will help but they need more talent up front. There is not one front 7 Bills defender that wpuld start for Tampa. That doesn't mean all 7 ate bad. But they need at least one true difference maker and a NT to develop from this draft.  And they need to see solid improvement from Edmunds, Epenesa, and Oliver. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, gonzo1105 said:

The fact that it's clear to you doesn't mean it's actually clear.

That's one guess. And with how little money they'd save cutting him even next year, a guess that could very easily be wrong.

1 hour ago, Da webster guy said:

Yeah I agree.  Since when has this cat been above average EVER?  Much less taking a full year off, has a lot of miles on him, hasn't played a live snap in well over a year.  If he's been training like a freak and focused, maybe he meets expectations but I feel like we've generally been overestimating the guy since he's been gone.

I make that mistake with my ex girlfriends, and then when I see em again I'm like "uhhhhh, yeah so I mustve been remembering only the good stuff...."

To me, this is hilarious.

Star was these boards favorite whipping boy through all of 2019. Then due to a pre-existing medical condition has him opt out and we see the D take a major step back.

And for a few weeks people say, "Oh, gee, we really missed this guy." But that's all forgotten and now it's "can't believe he opted out."

I mean, the way folks have to desperately twist and flail to find ways to criticize the guy. It cracks me up. You've got a great example here too. First, you criticize him for taking a year off. Then you do a 180 and criticize him for having a lot of miles. Hunh? He just took a year off. And then after knocking him for too many miles, it's "hasn't played a live snap for a year."

Jeez, which is it? Played too much? Played too little? You can't reasonably have it both ways, though many here seem to try exactly these arguments, and, wackily, together.

The girlfriends simile doesn't work. You saw your girlfriends again. You have NOT seen Star, you're just remembering him, and unlike what you apparently did with your exes, underestimating. We missed him last year, a lot, especially Oliver and Edmunds.

Oh, and in answer to your question, my answer is likely the same as the Bills think. He's been above average every year he's played. At what they hired him to do. No, he's not athletic, and no he's not going to penetrate just about ever. But is he well above average as a space eater, which is what they knew he was when they signed him? The Bills would tell you yes, and the evidence shows they believe it.

Edited by Thurman#1
  • Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, wagne591 said:

I was thinking about this a lot lately and I have come to this conclusion. When Beane signed Butler and Jefferson for the D-line last year he did that counting on Lotulelei (6'2" 315) to play all year. So I give him a pass on how poor our pass rush was last year. Star being out not only effected our pass rush IMO but it also didn't help in the development of Oliver either. I think with Star coming back this season it will free up some more guys to rush the passer because he commands a double team most of the time and last year noone on our line commanded one. So I think you will see some improvements next year with the guys we have....also not saying we wont draft an edge rusher or another D tackle to help either. In fact now would be a good time to draft another one to mirror Star as he gets older and I don't think he will be around much longer.  Here are some of my picks...

Marvin Wilson FSU 6'3 319

Tyler Shelvin LSU 6'3" 346

Bobby Brown III TAM 6'3" 325

Naquan Jones MSU 6'4" 338

All guys that played the 1-tech in college and all can play stuff the run. All should be available in the second round or later (might have to move up to get a couple in the second). I just think we need to start looking for backups to learn from the guys getting older. It is ok for guys to sit a year or get the left over snaps. Thoughts...

I'd say more than Star opting out is that the guys the Bills signed were quicker, penetrating guys which made sense given the way the league was going. Then the league changed how holding was called and it impacts those guys way more than bigger, power rushers. 

3 hours ago, Limeaid said:

Shouldn't GM be able to look into the future like the Circle of Nostradamus posters?

Some folks are really good at telling the future when it's in the past. 

Edited by jeremy2020

3 hours ago, Bangarang said:

Does any site keep track of how often guys are taking on double teams?

Star constantly being double teamed is something I see repeated a lot.

It’s a popular opinion, but every time I zeroed in on Star, he was fighting a single team stalemate. That’s pretty much what happens to him every down - he won’t push the pocket, but he doesn’t lose ground either. He’s just kinda there. There was a stretch of about 3 games or so where he started to actually show on the field, but aside from that he’s mostly invisible, unless he’s getting completely turned around as Adrian Peterson runs through his gap. Aside from offensive design, double teams are reserved for players who demand that sort of respect (ie Aaron Donald). Star isn’t one of those players unfortunately.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

7 hours ago, The Firebaugh Kid said:

The D played well. Except against KC. I still blame that game on coaching.  It's like Dick Jauron took over for a game. 

We were 14th in defense, 16th in points so average, not bad.  We improved as we became healthy from Seattle thereafter, but we were 2nd in offense.  It’s not that we have to make incredible improvements, but just move into the top 10.  We were a little spoiled as we were 3rd in defense in 2019, but partially influenced by playing the NFC Least.

We need more pressure from the front four.  There is no denying it, but to say we had a bad defense is just not accurate.  We were 13-3, 15-4 if you count the playoffs, and by god we had a bad game against the Chiefs.  Everyone seems to forget our defense held the Ravens to 3 pts. the week before.  I don’t think Star is the next coming of Donald, but he’s a solid DT.

To the OP’s point, drafting a DT is not a bad idea if one is available, and I’m not sure if we can get an impactful DE, but I’m sure it’s on their radar.

• Agree 1