Phase 2 of Free Agency

Is it me or is the second wave moving at a snails pace?  I thought there would be more people signing tier 2 tip contracts by now.  It seems like forever since something has happened.  Not just with Buffalo but with the whole league.  How long before the next wave of lower contracts start happening?  

I agree that the lower cap means fewer dollars are available and the offers out there are not meeting players' expectations, so they are waiting it out.  Also, it seems like more rookies are contributing than in the past (Gabe Davis, for example), so teams are may also be waiting to see how the draft plays out.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

My guess is that offers are rock bottom right now and players figure that they can’t do any worse by waiting a bit. 

I think that's a reasonable guess.  Someone before FA commented that he felt there would be an even bigger divide this off-season between a handful of high-dollar re-signings of top-tier guys which took place right away, vs lower-level FA on cheap 1 year deals - and fewer contracts than normal in between.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I think that's a reasonable guess.  Someone before FA commented that he felt there would be an even bigger divide this off-season between a handful of high-dollar re-signings of top-tier guys which took place right away, vs lower-level FA on cheap 1 year deals - and fewer contracts than normal in between.

I was one of several with that general opinion.  Still too many mid level FAs out there for teams to worry the supply drying up.  I expect cheap signings to pick up before the draft though.  Guys are going to want to sign before their jobs get taken by draft picks. 

1 minute ago, BarleyNY said:

I was one of several with that general opinion.  Still too many mid level FAs out there for teams to worry the supply drying up.  I expect cheap signings to pick up before the draft though.  Guys are going to want to sign before their jobs get taken by draft picks. 

Yeah but that's when the teams are already taking the money off the table because they want to wait until after the draft also. I don't think you see another big slug of FAs signed until post draft.

4 minutes ago, Back2Buff said:

It's like this every year.  There is no second "wave".  It will trickle all the way throughout the season.  Look at how late Clowney signed last year.

This was mostly what I was going to say. Though I'd argue there IS a second wave, it just happens after the draft (and looks more like a ripple).

I think this is as simple as teams are running out of cap space and all of the true difference makers are, by and large, off the board now. There's still talent left, but not a lot of guys who are so far above what a high-end rookie could be that you'd want to eliminate that flexibility. 

Our situation is a perfect example: sure, we could use a Carlos Dunlap or a Malcolm Butler, but what do we do then if, say, Kwitty Paye or Jaycee Horn fall to 30 for some reason?  

We'll see a trickle of activity here and there, but I'll be willing to bet you do see a smaller wave after teams know who they drafted and where they still need help.

• Like (+1) 1

Decent guys left to be had. If guys are smart they know the cap is going up and teams will be spending. So the smart move for a player is going to a team that can help you get that big deal next year. Bills have to look at Edge and DB both of our positions that play into this. The Bills D improves next year which should be easy to do and those guys get paid. Especially if a end can come in and get 10 sacks. So Sherman and Ingram would be huge and good candidates for this. Sherman may just want to win. Ingram may play one year cheap in hope of bigger deal next year from someone. 

Edge: Dunlap, Clowney, Houston, Ingram

DB: Sherman, Bouye, Dunbar, Heyward, Butler, Alexander

RB: Bell, Connor, Gurley, Fournette

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Back2Buff said:

It's like this every year.  There is no second "wave".  It will trickle all the way throughout the season.  Look at how late Clowney signed last year.

Clowney, Ingram and some other players have the hurdle of medical issues.  Teams aren’t signing them without an evaluation.  That was an issue for Clowney last year and is still a problem for him and others this year. 

• Like (+1) 1

Lot of guys are gonna have to wait until the draft is over. Teams have limited space and prices are high. Once they fill the team out with rookies and draft day trades etc etc they’ll have a better idea of what they have to have 

• Like (+1) 1

Certainly with the Bills, but I suspect elsewhere also, is that guys are almost putting a premium on the situation, rather than just being about the $.

Probably in part, because there aren't the $ around to give too many options, unlike other years.

It's something I've often thought should be the case. It's not so much a 'hometown discount', as being in a  place where there are good chances of you getting paid the length of the contract, rather than simply getting cut after a year or two.

• Like (+1) 2

9 minutes ago, ngbills said:

Decent guys left to be had. If guys are smart they know the cap is going up and teams will be spending. So the smart move for a player is going to a team that can help you get that big deal next year. Bills have to look at Edge and DB both of our positions that play into this. The Bills D improves next year which should be easy to do and those guys get paid. Especially if a end can come in and get 10 sacks. So Sherman and Ingram would be huge and good candidates for this. Sherman may just want to win. Ingram may play one year cheap in hope of bigger deal next year from someone. 

Edge: Dunlap, Clowney, Houston, Ingram

DB: Sherman, Bouye, Dunbar, Heyward, Butler, Alexander

RB: Bell, Connor, Gurley, Fournette

You are talking about Richard Sherman like he is in the prime of his career.  He is barely hanging on right now.  He has a year, maybe two left.  He was getting toasted last year.  And Gurley can barely walk at this point.  Who wants a washed up RB with arthritic knees??  Free Agency is a lot of hype.  But the guys you mention don't move the meter all that much.  Not sure whatever happened to Clowney.  When he was coming out, people were talking about him as the modern day Bruce.  He is a physical specimen.  But certainly has never lived up to the hype.  Funny how a guy like Kyle Williams drafted in the 5th round ends up having a much better career.  

There is a lot of 1 year deals this FA.  That means there will be a lot of FAs available next year too.

A good number of teams that have a lot of cap left are teams starting rebuilds.  I'm thinking that they may not spend to

their cap this year.  Similar to what Beane did when he still had 15-20 Million left in cap.

That could contribute to the low FA money available right now.

Sure hope Brandon can get at least one more impact player!

Edited by ColoradoBills

34 minutes ago, Paup 1995MVP said:

You are talking about Richard Sherman like he is in the prime of his career.  He is barely hanging on right now.  He has a year, maybe two left.  He was getting toasted last year.  And Gurley can barely walk at this point.  Who wants a washed up RB with arthritic knees??  Free Agency is a lot of hype.  But the guys you mention don't move the meter all that much.  Not sure whatever happened to Clowney.  When he was coming out, people were talking about him as the modern day Bruce.  He is a physical specimen.  But certainly has never lived up to the hype.  Funny how a guy like Kyle Williams drafted in the 5th round ends up having a much better career.  

Sherman is perfect for 1 year deal. He would be a much better signing than Norman last year. He could likely be CB2 or at least part of the rotation based on match ups. 

Dunlap, Clowney, Houston, Ingram - All would be our best or second best pass rusher at this point. Dunlap is my choice and go compare his numbers to Hughes. Gets ,more sacks, more QB hits, misses less tackles. Its a no brainer if you get him on a cheap deal.

At RB we just need another body - you take the best guy for least money. RB's can be had on the cheap so you take an experienced guy if you can. 

18 hours ago, ngbills said:

Sherman is perfect for 1 year deal. He would be a much better signing than Norman last year. He could likely be CB2 or at least part of the rotation based on match ups. 

Dunlap, Clowney, Houston, Ingram - All would be our best or second best pass rusher at this point. Dunlap is my choice and go compare his numbers to Hughes. Gets ,more sacks, more QB hits, misses less tackles. Its a no brainer if you get him on a cheap deal.

At RB we just need another body - you take the best guy for least money. RB's can be had on the cheap so you take an experienced guy if you can. 

I’m hoping we draft well and hopefully bring in some quality UDFAs.

22 hours ago, Fred Slacks said:

Is it me or is the second wave moving at a snails pace?  I thought there would be more people signing tier 2 tip contracts by now.  It seems like forever since something has happened.  Not just with Buffalo but with the whole league.  How long before the next wave of lower contracts start happening?  

Where does your username come from?  I dig

22 hours ago, Back2Buff said:

What does clowned have to do with the 2nd wave of FA signing?  He wasn’t second or 3rd wave. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

21 hours ago, glazeduck said:

This was mostly what I was going to say. Though I'd argue there IS a second wave, it just happens after the draft (and looks more like a ripple).

I think this is as simple as teams are running out of cap space and all of the true difference makers are, by and large, off the board now. There's still talent left, but not a lot of guys who are so far above what a high-end rookie could be that you'd want to eliminate that flexibility. 

Our situation is a perfect example: sure, we could use a Carlos Dunlap or a Malcolm Butler, but what do we do then if, say, Kwitty Paye or Jaycee Horn fall to 30 for some reason?  

We'll see a trickle of activity here and there, but I'll be willing to bet you do see a smaller wave after teams know who they drafted and where they still need help.

We draft them.  The more talented Pass rushers and corners the better.  

2 minutes ago, Fred Slacks said:

An old Will Ferrell SNL skit where he plays the devil and Garth Brooks sells his soul for a hit song. Plus my name is Freddy

Awesome.  I haven’t been much of an snl guy since Mr Bill and Mr Robinson’s neighborhood.

fred is a great name.  My dogs name is Fred Jackson.  He rules

• Haha (+1) 1