Micah Parsons potential drop in draft

Personally, this is just me, I think someone is attempting to cost him $$$ and make him drop. You'll find these stories on a yearly basis about a player or two. I'm sure our Staff/FO will do their due diligence. If he is there at #30? First off, I would be shocked. Second, I hope that we turn in the card with his name on it. 

5 minutes ago, That's No Moon said:

Well if nobody else in a Penn State locker room saw anything or was willing to corroborate that story everything must've been Jim Dandy, right? No offense, my sister went to Penn State. I follow Penn State Hockey and I'd like my kids to go to school there but they've lost their credibility in the "our football locker room is a nice place to be" department for a while longer. As much as we all tell each other that people just make this stuff up, they more often than not don't. Even if you were going to make up a story about for example your employer as a disgruntled former employee with an axe to grind, you probably aren't naming Phyllis who always saved you a jelly donut or Bob and Mike that you went to Happy hour with. You're naming the people who treated you like crap.

Parsons is a heckuva player and someone will draft him. If you think your locker room is strong enough that the veterans can get him in line and keep him there it's not a problem drafting him. If not, you avoid him. In short, he's not a player for a young defense with weak leadership. I'd like to think that Mcdermott and Frazier and the guys in the room could deal with that stuff and that a locker room bully wouldn't be tolerated by anyone.

There's been literally no corroboration to Isiah Humphries story. PSU's locker room IS NOT a perfect place. Like everyone, they have some real bad eggs in there, some prima donnas, and some drug problems.

My point here, is that Micah is one of the good guys. No one is that universally loved by a football program and community and still have an awful story like Isiah Humphries be true.

And here's the thing, there problem is something to Humphries experience at PSU that was pretty terrible. And I'd imagine it involved a player or two, but his story on Micah just doesn't fit any other corroborative knoweldge, nor of Franklin who he claimed told him to keep it quiet or get booted from the program. That doesn't fit his style/persona.

As for specifically this question, no way would I support drafting Micah. He's not THAT much better than Edmunds, and putting that much investment into LB isn't worth it IMO. Maybe if Milano had left.

1 minute ago, billsfan89 said:

If he can’t make a difference rushing the passer I would give this a pass. I don’t have an issue taking a chance but it has to be the right chance.

He's got elite potential as a pass rusher. He was a DE in HS and a 5* as a pass rusher. He just had a higher/gamer changing impact at Linebacker.

I hear all of who are saying we dont need a third LB. IMO our defense is still light in the ass and neither Edmunds nor Milano are sturdy enough against the run.

New England didn't just sign two tight ends to not put them on the field. Tampa's running game in the Super Bowl was hugely impactful, KC whipped us twice because we can't stop the run or defend a tight end.

If the question is do we need another LB or a big nickel the answer is yes. We need both.

Edited by That's No Moon
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, TPS said:

Doesn't sound like a process guy.  It'll be interesting to see if they Bills do their due diligence on him though.

Character and process are different.  If he is a hard worker and dedicated to football, but is an a*s, that is process compatible, but character concerning.

I'm not advocating to draft or not draft him.

• Agree 1

Relating to possibly selecting Micah Parsons at #30:

I heard Chris Brown on One Bills Live today say that when the Bills(presumably) exercise Tremaine Edmunds' 5th year option......... because he made the Pro Bowl in his first 3 years......his 2022 salary becomes fully guaranteed for 2022 at that moment when they exercise the option.........not just for injury..........and that the amount becomes the amount for the transition tag two years from now......so likely $15M-$16M.  

If this is true........not good.    Not being able to cut bait next spring takes away any leverage to get a long term deal done at a reasonable rate if he continues to not be a difference maker.

Puts pressure on to extend him and sets a pretty high bar for the salary at stake.

For the couple mill difference they might be better off NOT picking up the option and then being able to franchise tag him if he breaks out and seems worthy of that kinda' money.

As it relates to Parsons..........if they select him.........they may feel a lot less pressured to pick up that option(which has to be done a few days after the draft).

• Like (+1) 2

Considering it goes back to his HS recruitment and it's still being talked about for the NFL Draft tells me it's a reoccurring theme. 

If it happens in high school and he had zero issues in college I doubt it gets talked about, so I would think something happened at Penn State as well.

I would pass, don't need him bad enough to take the risk. 

34 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Relating to possibly selecting Micah Parsons at #30:

I heard Chris Brown on One Bills Live today say that when the Bills(presumably) exercise Tremaine Edmunds' 5th year option......... because he made the Pro Bowl in his first 3 years......his 2022 salary becomes fully guaranteed for 2022 at that moment when they exercise the option.........not just for injury..........and that the amount becomes the amount for the transition tag two years from now......so likely $15M-$16M.  

If this is true........not good.    Not being able to cut bait next spring takes away any leverage to get a long term deal done at a reasonable rate if he continues to not be a difference maker.

Puts pressure on to extend him and sets a pretty high bar for the salary at stake.

For the couple mill difference they might be better off NOT picking up the option and then being able to franchise tag him if he breaks out and seems worthy of that kinda' money.

As it relates to Parsons..........if they select him.........they may feel a lot less pressured to pick up that option(which has to be done a few days after the draft).

The Edmunds Decision is Beane’s second toughest test as GM.  The coach - who hired him - seems to love the player.  Can Beane make an objective evaluation of Edmunds and if so, will it lead to an expensive option for a player who has underperformed, setting the floor for an expensive second contract?  Alternatively will Beane go against the wishes of the coach who brought him here?  If they pay Edmunds they need to see a real jump in productivity.  They’ve been talking about potential for four years now.  It’s fine to pay for potential on a rookie deal but not a monster extension.

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

The Edmunds Decision is Beane’s second toughest test as GM.  The coach - who hired him - seems to love the player.  Can Beane make an objective evaluation of Edmunds and if so, will it lead to an expensive option for a player who has underperformed, setting the floor for an expensive second contract?  Alternatively will Beane go against the wishes of the coach who brought him here?  If they pay Edmunds they need to see a real jump in productivity.  They’ve been talking about potential for four years now.  It’s fine to pay for potential on a rookie deal but not a monster extension.

I actually don't think this will be as difficult of a decision as fans imagine. My guess this is pretty straight forward, and an extension gets done without much difficulty

48 minutes ago, OldTimer1960 said:

Character and process are different.  If he is a hard worker and dedicated to football, but is an a*s, that is process compatible, but character concerning.

I'm not advocating to draft or not draft him.

I don't know, it seems like being an a$$ and process compatible are mutually exclusive to me.

Id put Parson at the SAM.  Modern version of Lorax.  Buffalo has the culture to take a risk with Parson.  He is rated as the best off ball backer.  Some scouts think he would be the highest rated edge rusher in the class.

4 hours ago, Starr Almighty said:

I would but the issue is we only use a 2 LB set most of the time

The biggest thing that would influence this is willingness to pay Edmunds what some have estimated here, $15M per year. I don’t think LB has played at that value and we signed Milano already. If they aren’t sold on Edmunds at that cost, I think this is in play. 

This thread is overblown.  Parsons has an ego.  Its not unlike any other big time LB.  He is not a character concern from what i have seen watching him the last 3-4 years.  I wouldn't hesitate to draft him at 30.  And if Oweh goes above him - that is a crime.  IMO Oweh will be a bust.  Parsons has a floor around Trumane Edmonds and a high somewhere around Navarro Bowman.  You do that at 30.  

There is no substantiation of any claim by Isiah Humphries.  His claims have been rejected twice by the courts.  I'd want a lot more before we drag him through the mud.

He didnt play this season.  Many players didnt.  I feel jipped as he would have been fun to watch.  Some of his social media posts critical of the teams play were hard to swallow.  But the team and coaches still love him.  

I wouldnt trade up to get him.  But if im in the 12-15 range - you take him.  and at 30...its a no-brainer.

3 hours ago, NewEra said:

I have researched his character enough, but based strictly on play, I’d do that for sure.  

edmunds’ next contract is going to be a mofo!!  To pay or not to pay.  To trade or not to trade.  Based on last year, I wouldn’t pay.  I’d trade 

As long as Milano stays healthy and plays well, Edmunds days may be numbered...Milano has an “out” in his contact after two years- exactly when the decision on Edmunds will need to be made...no way they keep both, given Allen’s anticipated contract...stay tuned...