Brandon Beane at FSU and Bama pro days

Alabama RB Najee Harris’ flight from Dallas to Birmingham was cancelled last night due to lightning, so with no other travel options available, Harris drove nine hours to make it to Alabama’s Pro Day by 10 am today. He’s not even working out today but wanted to support teammates.

Shared from Adam  Shefter Facebook page. 

Edited by CowgirlsFan
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, CowgirlsFan said:

Alabama RB Najee Harris’ flight from Dallas to Birmingham was cancelled last night due to lightning, so with no other travel options available, Harris drove nine hours to make it to Alabama’s Pro Day by 10 am today. He’s not even working out today but wanted to support teammates.

McDermott will love this 

• Agree 3

2 hours ago, CowgirlsFan said:

There is a lot to like about Najee Harris

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

On 3/22/2021 at 7:59 PM, H2o said:

Paging @GunnerBill @MAJBobby :thumbsup: 

@RyanC883

A quick down and dirty from my notes

Tedarrell Slaton (My 7th best DT) - he is a HUGE player, I know some places list in in the 360 range but I think that is likely closer to 340ish watching him.  However being 6'5 allows him to carry the weight really well.  What I do like is he plays with leverage still at his size, normally you would think a interior guy at this size would rise immediately coming out of his stance I do not see that with him.  Powerfull at the POA he is a true 1 Tech and can hold and split Double Teams.  Has a really good Bull Rush from the interior and a sneaky compact swim move as well, does not get extended to allow in body with this swim, harder to do with a long guy.  Struggles maintaining balance at times, I seen him on the ground more than I would like with someone at his size and power, and does have consistency issues within the run game.  But when he is on he is really good.  Needs an NFL work ethic and development, particularly balance.  I like him more than Shelvin because unlike Shelvin can offer some within the pass rush game.  I think with development he would be able to become a 1 TECH that doesn't HAVE to come off the field in passing downs.  

Tyler Shelton (My 14th best DT)- Another big body, built differently being a shorter player.  Powerful at the point of attack and an absolute stud against the run.  However he will not go early like some of the initial buzz on him was, because he is only a 2 down player and then the red flags on him.  He will offer nothing in terms of pass rush or even outside his little phone booth, very slow foot speed and little lateral movement ability.  Has a decent bull rush but again wont really push the pocket.  Can stack and beat double teams.  Has major conditioning questions at one point reports he was up to 390 pounds at some point.  Questions about his conditioning also go to questioning his desire to play football.  

Between the two if they were both say sitting there in the 4th round I would grade Slaton as the better player, because of more of an athlete, no major flags with conditioning, and already has a couple pass rush moves.  

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3

7 hours ago, MAJBobby said:

@RyanC883

A quick down and dirty from my notes

Tedarrell Slaton (My 7th best DT) - he is a HUGE player, I know some places list in in the 360 range but I think that is likely closer to 340ish watching him.  However being 6'5 allows him to carry the weight really well.  What I do like is he plays with leverage still at his size, normally you would think a interior guy at this size would rise immediately coming out of his stance I do not see that with him.  Powerfull at the POA he is a true 1 Tech and can hold and split Double Teams.  Has a really good Bull Rush from the interior and a sneaky compact swim move as well, does not get extended to allow in body with this swim, harder to do with a long guy.  Struggles maintaining balance at times, I seen him on the ground more than I would like with someone at his size and power, and does have consistency issues within the run game.  But when he is on he is really good.  Needs an NFL work ethic and development, particularly balance.  I like him more than Shelvin because unlike Shelvin can offer some within the pass rush game.  I think with development he would be able to become a 1 TECH that doesn't HAVE to come off the field in passing downs.  

Tyler Shelton (My 14th best DT)- Another big body, built differently being a shorter player.  Powerful at the point of attack and an absolute stud against the run.  However he will not go early like some of the initial buzz on him was, because he is only a 2 down player and then the red flags on him.  He will offer nothing in terms of pass rush or even outside his little phone booth, very slow foot speed and little lateral movement ability.  Has a decent bull rush but again wont really push the pocket.  Can stack and beat double teams.  Has major conditioning questions at one point reports he was up to 390 pounds at some point.  Questions about his conditioning also go to questioning his desire to play football.  

Between the two if they were both say sitting there in the 4th round I would grade Slaton as the better player, because of more of an athlete, no major flags with conditioning, and already has a couple pass rush moves.  

great recap.  any red flags with Shelton beyond conditioning?  off field stuff.  

it seems if we want an instant 1T only,  Shelton is the guy, but a perhaps diverse 1T that can becoma an all-pro Slaton is the guy?  

3 minutes ago, RyanC883 said:

it seems if we want an instant 1T only,  Shelton is the guy, but a perhaps diverse 1T that can becoma an all-pro Slaton is the guy?  

and how do you rate Wilson?!  Thanks!

23 minutes ago, RyanC883 said:

and how do you rate Wilson?!  Thanks!

Shelton only issue is his want too. Conditioning and staying in shape. As well as questions about how much he wants football. No illegal flags or anything like that.   

Marvin Wilson (3rd best DT in my rankings) - smallest of the three. Probably plays around 315. However violent hands. Better pass rush from the interior I have seen. Has played 5 Tech at times. Shows good athletic ability inside. I think he is more a 3 Tech than 1 Tech. Reminds me of a bit bigger Oliver. Works hard against the run needs to improve a bit there. Anchor is suspect. 

looking at them like this.   Bars more is by far the best in this class by a lot and only one that has a 1-2 round grade by me. 

Best Pass Rushing DT - Wilson 

Most Complete - Slaton 

Best Run Stuffing - Shelton. 

IMO This is a Horrible DT class. And not that great of a DE class either 

Edited by MAJBobby
  • Thank you (+1) 1

On 3/22/2021 at 1:37 PM, H2o said:

The FSU defense is loaded with top recruits, but they mainly underachieved. That's been the case since Jimbo walked out the door in December of 2017. They've been terrible at developing the talent they have recruited. I don't give every guy on the team a pass, but I see all of these guys flash at different points and it makes me wonder if a big reason is coaching. Whether that be scheming to a player's talents, as in putting them in a position to succeed making the most of their natural abilities, or just play calling in general. 

A lot of this is spot on, been a Noles fan for over 30 years and while Jimbo deserves some blame the revolving door of coaches doesn’t help. Jimbo had been at war with the admins for a while to upgrade the facilities and depending on who you ask he wore out his welcome which is hard to do in Tallahassee. Tons of talent no guidance what so ever. Coaching matters big time. 

• Agree 1

On 3/23/2021 at 10:08 AM, njbuff said:

It always amazes me how Alabama is a recruiting giant.

It helps when you can essentially guarantee a kid he will get more publicity at Bama in one year than 4 at almost any other school. 

Life long Bama fan myself, grew up about an hour from Bryant-Denny stadium, but the exposure definitely helps them.