Beane and McDermott have done the seemingly impossible within 4 years for the Bills...players actively WANT to be Bills and will take paycuts to make it happen or less money to sign here

Big Turk

20 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

How do you know he didn't say this?  Did you contradict that report anywhere in that thread?  He signed almost 6 weeks after that report. 

Why wouldn't he seek top dollar?  Denying such a simple and natural scenario doesn't make much sense.  Someone or something convinced him he would not be getting top dollar.

So...he said he wanted top dollar but didn't seek it because he was told a week before the legal tampering period that he wouldn't be getting it and shouldn't even test FA?  OK.

1 minute ago, ngbills said:

Well they did just win a super bowl. Look I am a Bills fan. I have been for basically all of my 45 years. I was rooting for Brady to lose every week in TB. Heck they barely snuck in the playoffs. But they did what they did.

I probably should just ignore these threads. But they do bait me to respond when I see how the Bills are the only team that is amazing and every other team has so many flaws. Every Bills move is great, move they dont make is justified, and every other team is clueless. 

I do think the Bills have definitely turned the ship around. But if they found a QB at any point prior to Allen I would bet the bank it would have been turned around at those times as well. There were tons of teams that had good success with no talent. I just dont agree with the "these guys have done the impossible" statement. They have done well. I am happy. Fans, experts and others talking about the Bills will say they have done a great job. But the impossible that is a huge embellishment.

The "almost impossible" part refers to players wanting to play in Buffalo +/- taking pay cuts to do so.  Meaning now (i.e. not prior to this off-season).

8 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

The reverse of this could also absolutely be true

Signing a ton of free agents doesnt automatically improve your team

While I continue to expect Josh to work.....exactly how much refinement are you expecting from a MVP candidate

Its not the same skill position players....you got an older version of diggs in Brown's spot

I would also argue that especially in the COVID time where off season and even in season activities are limited continuity is a strength. 7 out of the final 8 teams playing had very little over haul to their rosters and yes Tampa who made a significant amount of changes won it all that more so points to them being an exception to that more so than that being an inherently better strategy.

1 hour ago, Ethan in Portland said:

And one could argue his d-line misses have actually cost the Bills a chance at the SB

No, one couldn't.  When your team goes from WC one-and-done to the AFC Championship game you haven't "cost the Bills a chance at the SB" no matter WHO you signed.

• Agree 2

6 hours ago, IgotBILLStopay said:

Yes we are all happy with Beane - but he has yet to improve the roster significantly for 2021 season - so let us wait to see if the Addison, Butler, Jefferson, Norman deals or non-waiving of Murphy from last year come back to bite us.

we still need infusion of talent at TE, DE, run blocking Guard, CB and maybe, RB.

Yet another yea but...

2 hours ago, Big Turk said:

It's a lot easier to say things when you aren't facing the prospect of following through on them....that is when the deep thinking usually starts and contemplating if you REALLY want to do that...

That was my point.  He knew he wasn't going to get "top dollar", so he took what he was offered.  That's not a discount.

2 hours ago, ngbills said:

It fits the argument. Left money on the table because Beane cast a spell on him - the wizard.

We have all seen the FA market is strange this. Some guys did get paid, but generally speaking the $ is down. L David was best MLB on the market and he got 2/$25M. J Brown got 1/$5M. Wright and Wilson have not even signed yet. 

Yeah, some real magic right there!

1 hour ago, Doc said:

So...he said he wanted top dollar but didn't seek it because he was told a week before the legal tampering period that he wouldn't be getting it and shouldn't even test FA?  OK.

The "almost impossible" part refers to players wanting to play in Buffalo +/- taking pay cuts to do so.  Meaning now (i.e. not prior to this off-season).

Probably by Beane.

But anyway, if Milano, not a superstar, really thought he was going to get even a few million more per year, he absolutely would have waited until the "legal tampering" (agents NEVER let it be known to teams what their FA clients are looking for before it's "legal"---lol, doc) period to hear offers.  The Bills gave him what he is worth, obviously.  So it's impossible to claim he "took a pay cut".

• Agree 1

Players also dont wait because they then risk their team moving on. If the Bills signed Lavonte David then Milano was gone and looking at a new team and possibly even less money. No MLB's are getting paid. If you look at the NFL these days RB's and MLB's are becoming the cheapest guys out there. 

2 hours ago, teef said:

so if the bills hadn't picked a good qb, they still wouldn't have had a good qb.  got it.

Without the sarcasm that's correct.  Look at the QBs drafted in the last 2 drafts.  Outside of #1 picks Murray & Burrow, the only other QB that they could have drafted to make your statement correct was last year's #6 Herbert.  So unless they had convinced Tom Brady to play in Buffalo instead of Tampa, they would still be in QB limbo-see NY Jets. 

4 hours ago, longtimebillsfan said:

He has maintained the roster to a large extent.  With limited cap space that is nothing short of a miracle.

I would argue that he has improved the offense with the addition of Emmanuel Sanders.

Beane had stated that his plan was to retain has many of our current players as he could and not make a big splash in free agency this year.  by signing our top free agents he has avoided creating more need on our team and he can now take the best player available in the May draft.

I am not sure what more you could expect of Beane given the current financial situation..

There is a group of supposed fans that will always, and no matter what, complain about the Bills no matter what good things happen for the team,  there is nothing to be done for it that will correct their obsessive compulsive behavior. 😁

• Agree 1

19 minutes ago, Albany,n.y. said:

Without the sarcasm that's correct.  Look at the QBs drafted in the last 2 drafts.  Outside of #1 picks Murray & Burrow, the only other QB that they could have drafted to make your statement correct was last year's #6 Herbert.  So unless they had convinced Tom Brady to play in Buffalo instead of Tampa, they would still be in QB limbo-see NY Jets. 

As they say. The GM/Coach are tied to the QB they draft. If Allen was a bust these guys could potentially be out of a job. Thankfully he wasn't and they deserve the credit for making the right pick. Just not "earth shattering, beyond what anyone could imagine, miracle worker" talk. 

2 minutes ago, Don Otreply said:

There is a group of supposed fans that will always, and no matter what, complain about the Bills no matter what good things happen for the team,  there is nothing to be done for it that will correct their obsessive compulsive behavior. 😁

And there are some that tend to exaggerate or overly cheerlead everything. Saying they have not done the impossible is not complaining. That is just reality checking. Great job yes. Miracle workers now. 

5 minutes ago, ngbills said:

As they say. The GM/Coach are tied to the QB they draft. If Allen was a bust these guys could potentially be out of a job. Thankfully he wasn't and they deserve the credit for making the right pick. Just not "earth shattering, beyond what anyone could imagine, miracle worker" talk. 

And there are some that tend to exaggerate or overly cheerlead everything. Saying they have not done the impossible is not complaining. That is just reality checking. Great job yes. Miracle workers now. 

I see, now adding on complaining about things people didn’t say, that is absolutely awesome, 😂

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Mr. WEO said:

Probably by Beane.

But anyway, if Milano, not a superstar, really thought he was going to get even a few million more per year, he absolutely would have waited until the "legal tampering" (agents NEVER let it be known to teams what their FA clients are looking for before it's "legal"---lol, doc) period to hear offers.  The Bills gave him what he is worth, obviously.  So it's impossible to claim he "took a pay cut".

Beane...told him he wouldn't be getting better offers on the market...and Milano believed him?  Is that what you're trying to say here?  Because if it is...

And the only thing that's truly impossible to know is that he wouldn't have been offered more had he hit FA.  Anything else is just speculation.  And with the way, at least, the Cheats and Jets had a ton of cap room and spent tons of money on non-superstars....

1 hour ago, Albany,n.y. said:

good thing they picked a good qb!

6 minutes ago, Doc said:

Beane...told him he wouldn't be getting better offers on the market...and Milano believed him?  Is that what you're trying to say here?  Because if it is...

And the only thing that's truly impossible to know is that he wouldn't have been offered more had he hit FA.  Anything else is just speculation.  And with the way, at least, the Cheats and Jets had a ton of cap room and spent tons of money on non-superstars....

Come on doc, this isn't hard.  The guy has had a spotty career significantly limited by injury.  Lots of players were getting one year contracts this off season--Milano had the written all over him.  Beane offered him 4 years 41.5 mil with over 23 guaranteed.  But you think that, after letting it out there he wanted  top dollar, he woke up 6 weeks later (and less than 2 weeks before those offers came a rollin' in) and took a below market deal.....because he loves the Bills so much?   

It's simple, if he thought there would be a better deal he would have waited a few more days and put the Bills in a bidding war.  It would make no sense not too.

6 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Come on doc, this isn't hard.  The guy has had a spotty career significantly limited by injury.  Lots of players were getting one year contracts this off season--Milano had the written all over him.  Beane offered him 4 years 41.5 mil with over 23 guaranteed.  But you think that, after letting it out there he wanted  top dollar, he woke up 6 weeks later (and less than 2 weeks before those offers came a rollin' in) and took a below market deal.....because he loves the Bills so much?   

It's simple, if he thought there would be a better deal he would have waited a few more days and put the Bills in a bidding war.  It would make no sense not too.

Again, all speculation on your part.  He very well could have been satisfied with what the Bills offered him, despite having better ones.  Why is this so hard to believe? n Do you think Daryl Williams took the best deal that he could have gotten?

And many players (with many of them being non-superstars) got big, multi-year deals, most notably from teams in the Bills' division.  You don't think they wouldn't have liked to add a good player (his effect on the defense was marked and he's missed just 9 games out of 64) while hurting the Bills?