Trade down and take Pat Freiermuth

whorlnut

Freiermuth is big and has good hands, but he is definitely not a "dynamic speed weapon".  For as big as he is, I haven't seen him described as a particularly good run blocker. 

He can still be a decent player at TE, but I don't see him as a great game-changing TE.  Maybe something like Pete Metzellars was...

13 hours ago, whorlnut said:

It’s kind of clear at this point that Beane wants to upgrade TE. I highly doubt Hollister is the upgrade that he envisions. He made a run at guys like Gronk, Jonnu Smith, and Zach Ertz, among others. Ertz might still happen, but if it doesn’t, I could see him maybe targeting Pat Freiermuth in the draft. 

Freiermuth’s nickname is “Baby Gronk” and while that might be too high of praise, it speaks of his skill set. He is very athletic and attacks the seam. Elite size for the position. 

I would like to see a trade down into the top of the second to take Freiermuth, and pick up another top 75 pick to use to go after an edge, corner, or lineman. 

With the way Beane has been aggressive this off-season to upgrade TE, I just can’t see him staying with what he has. Penn State’s pro day is this week. We will see...

Pat Freiermuth is someone I would like to see the Bills draft. But for all the reasons expressed on this board, trading down to try and get him specifically is risky business. A better approach is to trade down, add picks, and then use them to trade back where they think he is worthy of being picked, if the desire is to draft a TE early.

Also, it seems to me TE drafting in general is one of the hardest things to predict. It seems that many are taken high and do not turn out to be much. And then each year there is the obligatory college basketball power forward who is drafted low who turns out to be a decent player. I don't know, it just seems that TE drafting is crap shoot to draft. And for that, I'm always leery of picking one in round 1 or 2.

13 hours ago, whorlnut said:

It’s kind of clear at this point that Beane wants to upgrade TE. I highly doubt Hollister is the upgrade that he envisions. He made a run at guys like Gronk, Jonnu Smith, and Zach Ertz, among others. Ertz might still happen, but if it doesn’t, I could see him maybe targeting Pat Freiermuth in the draft. 

Freiermuth’s nickname is “Baby Gronk” and while that might be too high of praise, it speaks of his skill set. He is very athletic and attacks the seam. Elite size for the position. 

I would like to see a trade down into the top of the second to take Freiermuth, and pick up another top 75 pick to use to go after an edge, corner, or lineman. 

With the way Beane has been aggressive this off-season to upgrade TE, I just can’t see him staying with what he has. Penn State’s pro day is this week. We will see...

Beane was aggressive going after a TE? Has anyone confirmed we went after Henry? Smith, etc?

I Agree, TE is on his radar but aggressive? 

12 hours ago, BillsRdue said:

As long as Baby Gronk doesn't become Gronk 2.0 and we trade down to the 40's and some team takes him one pick before us and we land the next Torell Troupe. If we go offense in the first, I'm hoping Friermouth or Etienne. Personally I'd rather have Etienne and then take a shot at Trembly in the 2nd or 3rd as well as an EDGE. That should be RD's 1-3 RB/TE/EDGE in whatever order is BPA on our board.

I doubt it’s edge at 30 re: BPA.

15 hours ago, BornAgainBillsFan said:

I'd be right there with you, BBG, if he'd shown any improvement this past year. But he didn't. Still woefully inconsistent hands and below average blocking.

The path to success is never a straight line, as they say.

Edited by Rubes

The TE class is very weak this year...I think it might be pushing Freiermuth up higher, in people’s minds, than he would normally go... If the Bills took him higher than the 3rd round, I would be very disappointed...there is so much better talent at other positions that I would take before this guy...

Edited by JaCrispy
  • Agree 2

I'd be alright with that, but I think they would have a couple other positions ranked over TE, especially in the early rounds. They really need to get younger on the DL. Got some starters over or near 30 and a lot of guys with deals that end in the next year or two. I've heard the DE/Edge group is really hit and miss this year. Seems kinda the same way with DT. 

I also think they're still in play for their big nickel guy, that could be in play early. CB as well. If they can't find DL then maybe they go CB early and hope that reinforcing the secondary will allow them to cover just a tick longer so someone up front can get home. 

The WR group is too deep for them to ignore. Sanders and Beasley are both over 30 with deals ending after 2021 and 2022. I think they'll restructure/extend Diggs and they have Davis and Hodgins to bring along but they still probably want a speedy flyer with return experience. 

I like Friermuth but I just don't know if they'll go for a TE that high. 

18 hours ago, whorlnut said:

Maybe so, but Beane has been very involved in looking to upgrade this off-season. He’s the one calling the shots. 

True but I didnt really see him do a whole lot at TE other than add another sleeper like Hollister to the mix. Not that he couldn't draft another on draft day but it didn't look they were even interested in any of the bigger names.

On 3/22/2021 at 1:16 AM, BornAgainBillsFan said:

I'd be right there with you, BBG, if he'd shown any improvement this past year. But he didn't. Still woefully inconsistent hands and below average blocking.

Having said that, I think Knox could be a good TE2 for the foreseeable future. Let's see if Hollister can be an effective TE1 (with the hopes that Josh's familiarity with him gives a boost to his pass-catching effectiveness). Then draft a TE late, and let him battle it out with Becker for TE3.

We need to have Diggs getting at least 10 targets a game. I'm against any move that lowers that number.

Definitely giving up too early, the TE position is a tough one, you need to not only learn the playbook but be an effective blocker and if he wasn't very involved at Ole Miss imagine coming into the NFL and having to this against guys at the highest level and on many plays he looks like he's on the same level as these guys. I have a feeling you're going to see a very motivated Dawson Knox this season, I doubt they signed Hollister to be our #1 TE but a good depth signing for sure as I really like Hollister.

On 3/21/2021 at 11:41 PM, Aussie Joe said:

Please tell me how this trade works on the chart... extra credit if you can identify trading team and who they are moving up for..

https://www.drafttek.com/NFL-Trade-Value-Chart.asp

It all depends who falls to 30.  But Ill play.  KC needs OL.  A quality OL will be available at 30.  Jax is going QB at 1.  Perhaps they want OL to protect shiny new QB.  They know they must leapfrog KC.  Bills 30 spot = 620  Jax pick 1 = 580  620-580=40  Jax must give us a pick worth 40 points to move up to 30....we look at chart pick 132 =40 points.   Jax has pick 130..

Bills trade our pick 30 for Jax 33 and 130, and Buffalo now has 4th round pick

2 hours ago, Pete said:

It all depends who falls to 30.  But Ill play.  KC needs OL.  A quality OL will be available at 30.  Jax is going QB at 1.  Perhaps they want OL to protect shiny new QB.  They know they must leapfrog KC.  Bills 30 spot = 620  Jax pick 1 = 580  620-580=40  Jax must give us a pick worth 40 points to move up to 30....we look at chart pick 132 =40 points.   Jax has pick 130..

4th Round pick is not Top 75

8 hours ago, Aussie Joe said:

4th Round pick is not Top 75

huh?  I thought an Aussie wanted explaination

11 hours ago, Pete said:
On 3/21/2021 at 11:41 PM, Aussie Joe said:

Please tell me how this trade works on the chart... extra credit if you can identify trading team and who they are moving up for..

https://www.drafttek.com/NFL-Trade-Value-Chart.asp

where did you stipulate top 75?  I thought you wanted to know how the trade chart works

24 minutes ago, Pete said:

huh?  I thought an Aussie wanted explaination

where did you stipulate top 75?  I thought you wanted to know how the trade chart works

I didnt stipulate Top 75.. the OP did.. He said that you could trade down to the Top of the 2nd and get a  Top 75

I would like to see a trade down into the top of the second to take Freiermuth, and pick up another top 75 pick to use to go after an edge, corner, or lineman

Thats what I was querying when I linked to the draft chart.. the maths dont work

Edited by Aussie Joe