Is Beane all but done with FA?

20 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

I don’t think @BADOLBILZ ever said Sanders was “redundant.” Basically, having both on the field at the same time creates massive matchup problems for opponents. Assuming for a second Sanders doesn’t decline, he’s a better player for the Bills next season than Samuel would be simply because he is likely to be very productive and a significantly better route runner than Samuels. Long term is a different issue, but we’ll cross that bridge when we get there.

Nah he did. I actually don’t disagree with the premise either... 

You want to have skill set diversity. I’m a baseball guy so I always think about a bullpen. You don’t want 8 guys back there who are all right handed and throw 95 MPH with a 12-6 curveball. You’re limited in what you can do and it makes game planning for teams easier because they only have to focus on one skill set. It’s not bad to mix it up with a few different profiles. 

The main point was Sanders, Diggs and Beasley all run great routes but none have elite speed or size so they’re all just similar that it makes things easier on opponents. I do agree, but I also don’t think running routes and getting open is a bad thing to have some redundancy with... we seem to value it pretty highly... it’s a front office that is pretty analytically inclined paired with a lot of great football minds. 

My hunch is that they see AND they know there’s a lot of value in great route runners... probably even more so than we realize and they’re targeting that. They’ve shown a similar penchant for RB who force missed tackles... Singletary and Moss both lead their draft class. I’m not sure I agree 100% because speed is an important skill... but at the same time I don’t know what the information they have looks like and it’s assuredly more complete than anything I have. There is an extremely disparity between resources in pro organizations and public information. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, JGMcD2 said:

Nah he did. I actually don’t disagree with the premise either... 

You want to have skill set diversity. I’m a baseball guy so I always think about a bullpen. You don’t want 8 guys back there who are all right handed and throw 95 MPH with a 12-6 curveball. You’re limited in what you can do and it makes game planning for teams easier because they only have to focus on one skill set. It’s not bad to mix it up with a few different profiles. 

The main point was Sanders, Diggs and Beasley all run great routes but none have elite speed or size so they’re all just similar that it makes things easier on opponents. I do agree, but I also don’t think running routes and getting open is a bad thing to have some redundancy with... we seem to value it pretty highly... it’s a front office that is pretty analytically inclined paired with a lot of great football minds. 

My hunch is that they see AND they know there’s a lot of value in great route runners... probably even more so than we realize and they’re targeting that. They’ve shown a similar penchant for RB who force missed tackles... Singletary and Moss both lead their draft class. I’m not sure I agree 100% because speed is an important skill... but at the same time I don’t know what the information they have looks like and it’s assuredly more complete than anything I have. There is an extremely disparity between resources in pro organizations and public information. 

See my other post about Diggs' speed. The idea that he lacks top-end speed is one of the great myths of this board at the moment.

1 hour ago, dave mcbride said:

See my other post about Diggs' speed. The idea that he lacks top-end speed is one of the great myths of this board at the moment.

Yeah I do agree with that... I think people are looking for your traditional straight line guy... but there’s danger in that one trick pony type. A guy who is lighting fast would be helpful for us... but the idea the Diggs isn’t fast is in fact a myth. It is funny that the year before we traded for Diggs his Y/R was 18... he can take the top off a defense. 

2 hours ago, ndirish1978 said:

Gets a bit frustrating seeing other teams who were against the cap still signing guys while we play the fiscally responsible team. I would think that you prioritize winning over cap when you're in the middle of your window.

The guys Buffalo resigned was the FA moves.  Top RT, best coverage LB and versitle interior lineman who can play either guard or center.  Add in Sanders over Brown and I think Buffalo is playing it smart.  I think a few more vets will be brought in. 

3rd year in a row Buffalo enters the draft without a hole.  Do you want the Donihoe Bills?  I think Buffalo is positioned to improve on a final 4 roster.  With Allen Buffalo is going to be a team reguardless.  Getting differant players to play LB, Tackle, and guard doesnt mean the team is better?

1 hour ago, Mat68 said:

The guys Buffalo resigned was the FA moves.  Top RT, best coverage LB and versitle interior lineman who can play either guard or center.  Add in Sanders over Brown and I think Buffalo is playing it smart.  I think a few more vets will be brought in. 

3rd year in a row Buffalo enters the draft without a hole.  Do you want the Donihoe Bills?  I think Buffalo is positioned to improve on a final 4 roster.  With Allen Buffalo is going to be a team reguardless.  Getting differant players to play LB, Tackle, and guard doesnt mean the team is better?

Making a lot of assumptions in this post. I'll respond despite my disregard for posts rife with poor spelling and grammar.  No interest in the Donohoe Bills and you will not see me running around the board losing my mind that we didn't get Watt or some other big-name FA.

We do, however still have work to do on this roster. DE is a position of weakness and we have not improved. You can't go into a year saying "we were not good last year, but COVID so we will be better next year." DE is not going to be solved with the 30th pick in the draft, you're not going to get an instant 8+ sack kid in this group that late.

You're poking holes at my statement while adding a throwaway comment that "a few more vets will be brought in," which is pretty much what my comment is about so I'm not sure exactly what you're saying. 

We need to pick up a starting DE before the draft, we can draft someone to compete for CB2 early as well as a 1 tech and a big nickel. Would be nice to fill 2 of those needs now, but we can't do that while being right on the line of being over the cap. Lot more work to be done.

• Like (+1) 1

14 hours ago, BuffaloBillsGospel said:

I would think either a low level sleeper edge rusher or a big name one left might still be in play here. The fact that 3 still remain is interesting to me ... Melvin Ingram, Justin Houston and Clowney would all be an upgrade imo. I just don't see how we don't get an edge rusher either in the draft, FA or both. 

I know he is 32 years old but his game didn't drop off after he left KC for IND.

It's kicking the can down the road but I wonder if he wants another chance for a ring.

He missed out in KC in 2019.

He is one of my hopes to sign a 1 year deal.

16 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Just a note Spotrac doesn't have Matakevich extention on there either, which almost certainly drops his cap hit.

Are there gonna be roster cutdowns in June this year?  Or are you talking about the players designated as "post June 1" moves?

im talking players unknown yet who get released after June 1. At the draft pkayers coukd be traded, more contracts get restructured.

at the draft you do t know eho falls to you in 1st and 2nd. These picks you may expect to start or be part of a rotation forcing a veteran out.

Edited by djp14150

1 minute ago, djp14150 said:

im talking players unknown yet who get released after June 1. At the draft pkayers coukd be traded, more contracts get restructured.

Gotcha.  There are a bunch of players also who have been released, but designated as post-June 1

Does anyone know the rules - can they talk to teams now? 

Just now, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Gotcha.  There are a bunch of players also who have been released, but designated as post-June 1

Does anyone know the rules - can they talk to teams now? 

I think they can if they are designated for release but signing doesn’t occur till June .

if they didn’t it screw these players over.  At least in designated a team can plan to spend on all players.

10 hours ago, ColoradoBills said:

I know he is 32 years old but his game didn't drop off after he left KC for IND.

It's kicking the can down the road but I wonder if he wants another chance for a ring.

He missed out in KC in 2019.

He is one of my hopes to sign a 1 year deal.

Would love to see him in a Bills uniform.

17 hours ago, loveorhatembillsfan4life said:

Sounds like Ingram is visiting the Chiefs this week. I wonder if we have even entertained the idea of bringing him in? Not sure some of these guys and Beane would even be in the same ballpark. 

Yeah it's starting to look that way, maybe more guys will also be available aftr the draft as well.

Edited by BuffaloBillsGospel

Beane is never done tinkering and improving the Bills.  He is waiting patiently, for the right phone call draft day, for the surprise veteran cut, for undrafted gems.  No rock is unturned.  Beane will not mess up the salary cap.  Nor will he overpay.

September 13 is a long way away.  Im guessing there will be 5-10 players on 53 roster that aren't on the Bills currently.

Patience grasshopper

4 hours ago, Pete said:

Beane is never done tinkering and improving the Bills.  He is waiting patiently, for the right phone call draft day, for the surprise veteran cut, for undrafted gems.  No rock is unturned.  Beane will not mess up the salary cap.  Nor will he overpay.

September 13 is a long way away.  Im guessing there will be 5-10 players on 53 roster that aren't on the Bills currently.

Patience grasshopper

My thread question was more along the lines whether or not Beane will sign any more "impact" players during FA.