Is Beane all but done with FA?

11 hours ago, BarleyNY said:

He will value shop and create cap if he needs it if we connect with a more expensive player that make sense for us. 

Edit:  Actually @Reed83HOF mentioned that Tre & Dawkins had restructure option clauses in their contracts but they had a window of a few days.  That window has passed so I’d wager that they were executed and that we have more cap space than what OTC and Spotrac can verify.  They wouldn’t want to broadcast the fact that they have the extra cap space for negotiation purposes so it’ll only come out if and when they need it. 

Edit 2: Spotrac has us with negative cap space and does not yet have Feliciano’s contract accounted for.  They Bills have certainly executed those clauses and/or made room elsewhere.

Just a note Spotrac doesn't have Matakevich extention on there either, which almost certainly drops his cap hit.

10 hours ago, djp14150 said:

you have the draft coming up and see what they draft in the first few rounds who can step in snd play.

Then you have the June cap cuts

i know it’s rare, but post draft could you sera player for player trade

Are there gonna be roster cutdowns in June this year?  Or are you talking about the players designated as "post June 1" moves?

• Thank you (+1) 1

I would think either a low level sleeper edge rusher or a big name one left might still be in play here. The fact that 3 still remain is interesting to me ... Melvin Ingram, Justin Houston and Clowney would all be an upgrade imo. I just don't see how we don't get an edge rusher either in the draft, FA or both. 

8 minutes ago, BuffaloBillsGospel said:

I would think either a low level sleeper edge rusher or a big name one left might still be in play here. The fact that 3 still remain is interesting to me ... Melvin Ingram, Justin Houston and Clowney would all be an upgrade imo. I just don't see how we don't get an edge rusher either in the draft, FA or both. 

If Ingram is healthy, he would be a great 2 year plug and play guy. I always liked his game.

1 hour ago, ScottLaw said:

You improve deficiencies by bringing in better players.... again, I understand giving it another shot with essentially the same guys and a few new(but not substantial) pieces, but don’t be surprised if things end exactly the same way again next year because your roster isn’t good enough. 

Don’t agree it’s a safer route, the goal isn’t to get pounded in the AFC Championship game. It’s to win the SB.... you are essentially risking the same outcome by not cutting your losses on certain players who are what they are at this point in their careers and attempting upgrading where necessary. 

But if you spend money on improving those deficiencies... you create other deficiencies... that’s the whole issue.

You wanted Ngakoue... what does he do better than Mario Addison? They’ve been remarkably similar players over the last 5 years. Is he actually an upgrade? 

You wanted Curtis Samuel... what does he do better than Sanders? By the look of it Sanders is more productive for less money. Why would you spend more money for less production when we’re as close as we are? 

You want Engram... what does he do better than Knox? You said it yourself... he’s the same player as Knox but a little more athletic (and cost $5.5M more). Why would you waste money on that when you have the same player in house and can spend that $5.5M elsewhere? 

Getting to the AFCCG is hard enough in itself... you are taking more of risk ripping apart a team that was capable of getting there in search of a team that MIGHT get you there. You’re better off building on top of the team that was capable getting there than you are gutting it. 

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, MiltonWaddams said:

If Ingram is healthy, he would be a great 2 year plug and play guy. I always liked his game.

Yeah I believe he was hurt last season again but I agree, Ingram when healthy is a nasty individual that I'd definitely want on my defense.

Edited by BuffaloBillsGospel

3 hours ago, T master said:

O don't know that Beane is ever really done you put a really good player out in front of him he's gonna see what he can do always expect the unexpected from the Wizard Beane ...

That's what Beane does. He lulls all of us fans to sleep and then.....

BOOM!!!

We just signed Mitch Trubisky!

15 hours ago, Iamkrgr said:

I could see us getting Dunlap if he’s cheap enough. Maybe a CB on that level as well. Couple guys to add depth and rotate with our other vets.

Hughes, Addison, Epenesa, Dunlap, Johnson at edge could be a good underrated group. 

I’m sure Mike Love will take a break from the Beach Boys again and be at camp.

7 hours ago, BuffaloBillsGospel said:

Yeah I believe he was hurt last season again but I agree, Ingram when healthy is a nasty individual that I'd definitely want on my defense.

Sounds like Ingram is visiting the Chiefs this week. I wonder if we have even entertained the idea of bringing him in? Not sure some of these guys and Beane would even be in the same ballpark. 

18 hours ago, BarleyNY said:

The restructure option clauses I’m talking about just convert some of this season’s salary to a signing bonus, which would be paid upon execution.  Looking closer I see that for Tre it’s $7.5M and the window closes today.  That will clear $6M this season and move it out. Link

Dawkins also has $7.5M that can be converted by today.  It will clear $5.6M.  It’s less because it will be spread over 4 years instead of 5 like Tre’s.  Link

They shouldn't kick the can down the road for 3rd tier free agents. Its not worth it. We missed our opportunity to get a difference making free agent. From here on out expect vet min deals.

24 minutes ago, BillsFan1988 said:

They shouldn't kick the can down the road for 3rd tier free agents. Its not worth it. We missed our opportunity to get a difference making free agent. From here on out expect vet min deals.

Most likely.  But you never know.  If we could bring in someone like a Melvin Ingram on a reasonable, short term deal they might do it.  He wouldn’t break the bank, but would cost more than we should probably spend right now.  It would take pressure off of filling that need in the draft and would allow a developmental player to come along more slowly so it’d be worth it IMO.  But, no, I definitely don’t see any luxury spending happening. 

43 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Your argument is players available in FA aren’t better than what we have already?

Samuel does everything. He fills the McKenzie role, can line up in the backfield and is a viable deep threat. He’s a terrific player and adds the much needed speed element that is missing right now offensively. I like Sanders, but he’s also old and as @BADOLBILZpointed out his skill set is redundant with what we have already offensively. 

I wasn’t that high on Ngakoue, but even still the argument is easy to make that at this point in both his and Addisons career he is a better player and pass rusher.... I thought Addison lost a step prior to last season when I watched Panthers games from 2019.....it looked pretty obvious. Last year further supported my point. He’s a subpar player at this point. The chances that Ngakoue, Lawson, Dunlap, Autry, Hendrickson would’ve not been upgrades to Addison are slim. 

Never said I’m taking apart the team. I said I’m letting some players go who underperformed and I’m looking to upgrade or I’m letting certain players walk(Milano) and using that money on more premier positions...and I stand by my comments that the team had that incredible season because of Josh Allen. As long as he performs as he did the team will be in contention in the AFC for years.... the QB makes all the difference. So letting a good OLB walk and cutting an old, subpar DE wouldn’t result in the team crumbling, IMO. 

I don’t think @BADOLBILZ ever said Sanders was “redundant.” Basically, having both on the field at the same time creates massive matchup problems for opponents. Assuming for a second Sanders doesn’t decline, he’s a better player for the Bills next season than Samuel would be simply because he is likely to be very productive and a significantly better route runner than Samuels. Long term is a different issue, but we’ll cross that bridge when we get there.

38 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

Most likely.  But you never know.  If we could bring in someone like a Melvin Ingram on a reasonable, short term deal they might do it.  He wouldn’t break the bank, but would cost more than we should probably spend right now.  It would take pressure off of filling that need in the draft and would allow a developmental player to come along more slowly so it’d be worth it IMO.  But, no, I definitely don’t see any luxury spending happening. 

I agree but we should of made that happen with a arrow ⬆️ player not a guy that's in decline like Ingram . Ingram didn't even record a single sack last season. But I do agree the less holes on the team the more it allows us to go BPA in draft.

I would say he's probably done if he hadn't finished second for JJ Watt and is checking in on not insignificant FA Edge guys, like Adoree Jackson. Yeah, you check in on guys as your job, but why would you check in on guys you already know are out of your price range?

I think we end up signing Richard Sherman once he accepts he's not getting what he thinks he should get, while drafting a CB pretty high up (who better to learn from than one of the smartest DBs to ever play the game). I'm not sure where we go with Edge but I don't think a top 3 team is pursuing JJ Watt and then, after losing out, saying "f it, let's give Addison a pay cut and call it a day"

I wouldn't rule out a trade but they might be waiting for the Allen contract to settle so they have a concrete number to work around. Josh deserves to get paid but I do hope he takes a bit of a discount so we can continue to surround him with a good team.

3 minutes ago, BillsFan1988 said:

I agree but we should of made that happen with a arrow ⬆️ player not a guy that's in decline like Ingram . Ingram didn't even record a single sack last season. But I do agree the less holes on the team the more it allows us to go BPA in draft.

With Ingram it would depend on his knee.  Seems like he was hobbled last season and only played in 7 games.  If his knee is shot then he’s not playing for anyone.  If healthy he could be a good bridge for a season to a youngster.  I’d wager that he won’t be signing with anyone until teams can get a good look at that knee though.  Medicals are  probably the hold up with Clowney finding a team too.

59 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Your argument is players available in FA aren’t better than what we have already?

No. I’m asking what these other players do that make them upgrades. 

I’m not paying Curtis Samuel $11.5M a year to be Isaiah McKenzie... that’s essentially what it boils down to. He has 1 year of significant production in the NFL, otherwise he’s been a nice little gadget player for Carolina. He would’ve been nice for $5-6M a year... $11.5M is too much. You’re banking on him being the type of player he’s never been before... and for a speed guy that take the top off the defense... he sure isn’t catch the ball very deep down field... 

Same thing with Engram... why pay Engram $6M when you have the same type of player in Dawson Knox? It’s not an upgrade... but you were advocating for it... 

1 hour ago, ScottLaw said:

I stand by my comments that the team had that incredible season because of Josh Allen. As long as he performs as he did the team will be in contention in the AFC for years.... the QB makes all the difference. So letting a good OLB walk and cutting an old, subpar DE wouldn’t result in the team crumbling, IMO. 

I actually really do agree with the Josh Allen portion here. 

8 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

With Ingram it would depend on his knee.  Seems like he was hobbled last season and only played in 7 games.  If his knee is shot then he’s not playing for anyone.  If healthy he could be a good bridge for a season to a youngster.  I’d wager that he won’t be signing with anyone until teams can get a good look at that knee though.  Medicals are  probably the hold up with Clowney finding a team too.

Yea I heard Clowney is still not cleared yet from his injuries same could be for Ingram.