“Never Want to Lose your Fastball”: Cover 1 deep dive on Emmanuel Sanders

Hope he doesn't fall off the cliff this season. Looked really good for 33. Let's hope 34 is more of the same.

What I live most is him going to 3 superbowls with 3 different teams. I can tell he is the type who will bring that experience in the locker room and positively effect the younger guys.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, StHustle said:

Hope he doesn't fall off the cliff this season. Looked really good for 33. Let's hope 34 is more of the same.

What I live most is him going to 3 superbowls with 3 different teams. I can tell he is the type who will bring that experience in the locker room and positively effect the younger guys.

He's an expert route runner. He'll be able to play a while longer. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

32 minutes ago, HOUSE said:

There are to many m's in Emmanual, I really hate that

He is pushing it there. But better than the hyphenated name. Stay away from the hyphenated names shows lack of commitment 

Edited by MAJBobby
  • Haha (+1) 1

42 minutes ago, Hebert19 said:

Poor bastards having to cover him bease and diggs.  There are going to be many ankles laying around on the field this year. 

Especially the Jets...😇

Oh, you meant opposing defenses...

I read the thread title, and immediately remembered this evaluation:

https://youtu.be/dQw4w9WgXcQ

Edited by Ridgewaycynic2013

39 minutes ago, Green Lightning said:

The Sanders/ Brown comparison charts are eye-opening.  If he still has his wheels, he is going to make this already potent offense a beast to defend.

This one? 

image.thumb.png.5ce19728984fe76962e12d05aec03060.png

It musta stung for Brown for the Bills to say "we love you, thanks for all you've done, we're going for an upgrade" but I can see a lot of routes in that film where I believe Brown would have been taken out of the play while Sanders brushes the DB off like a pesky fly

• Like (+1) 2

Nice, Yolo.  Thanks. 

Troubles me that he's so willing to take hits.  Keeping him on the field will be important.  

From this perspective, it's all about route runners.  Have a good scheme and guys who can execute it, and Allen will have a field day. 

Toward the end, there was an interesting comment.  One of the reasons Sanders is an upgrade is that Brown tended to play at one speed, and multiple changes of direction are not keep to his game.   Sanders, on the other hand, looks much more like Diggs and Beasley coming off the line.   There were a lot of plays last season where Allen needed to get the ball off quickly, and his throws usually went to Diggs or Beasley, not Brown, because those two were able to make the quick moves and create the little openings that Allen need.  Sanders will be the third guy on the field, giving Allen another option on every play.  

Interesting breakdown.  Thanks. 

4 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

This one? 

image.thumb.png.5ce19728984fe76962e12d05aec03060.png

It musta stung for Brown for the Bills to say "we love you, thanks for all you've done, we're going for an upgrade" but I can see a lot of routes in that film where I believe Brown would have been taken out of the play while Sanders brushes the DB off like a pesky fly

Right.

The zone numbers are eye-opening.   In man, Sanders can't threaten downfield like Brown could, but Sanders catches the ball in traffic better.   He's more like one of those guys who's open when he's covered.  

One other thought.   If the Bills are fielding three good zone busters, it forces teams to play more man-to-man.   Once they're in man-to-man, the running lanes for Allen open up, and he becomes more of a threat to leave the pocket and head upfield than he was last season.  Those 20 and 30 yarders every game or two make a big difference in the offense. 

• Like (+1) 6

7 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

Nice, Yolo.  Thanks. 

Troubles me that he's so willing to take hits.  Keeping him on the field will be important.  

From this perspective, it's all about route runners.  Have a good scheme and guys who can execute it, and Allen will have a field day. 

Toward the end, there was an interesting comment.  One of the reasons Sanders is an upgrade is that Brown tended to play at one speed, and multiple changes of direction are not keep to his game.   Sanders, on the other hand, looks much more like Diggs and Beasley coming off the line.   There were a lot of plays last season where Allen needed to get the ball off quickly, and his throws usually went to Diggs or Beasley, not Brown, because those two were able to make the quick moves and create the little openings that Allen need.  Sanders will be the third guy on the field, giving Allen another option on every play.  

Interesting breakdown.  Thanks. 

Right.

The zone numbers are eye-opening.   In man, Sanders can't threaten downfield like Brown could, but Sanders catches the ball in traffic better.   He's more like one of those guys who's open when he's covered.  

One other thought.   If the Bills are fielding three good zone busters, it forces teams to play more man-to-man.   Once they're in man-to-man, the running lanes for Allen open up, and he becomes more of a threat to leave the pocket and head upfield than he was last season.  Those 20 and 30 yarders every game or two make a big difference in the offense. 

Don’t forget we destroyed man last year too with deep crosses.  Having 4 good receivers is a good thing.  

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, SectionC3 said:

Don’t forget we destroyed man last year too with deep crosses.  Having 4 good receivers is a good thing.  

The Bills WR4 is much more important than most teams’ WR4. So I don’t see this signing as any  kind of shade on how they view Gabriel Davis as I’ve seen suggested. I think it’s to ensure 4 Wide can continue to be successful, John brown was eroding at the end of the season 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

7 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

He's definitely "open when covered", but I think he's more of a downfield threat than you think.  He was pulling in 13.9 ypc with San Francisco, and 76% of that was YBC.  That took an immediate jump from 12.2 when he moved from DEN to SF, and a fall to 11.9 last year. 

The fact that he had The Ghost of Drew Brees throwing to him last year may be more of a factor than his age was.  I guess we'll see.  But the fact that Diggs can threaten to break downfield is very helpful to his ability to shed DBs like water, so I hope Sanders still has this.