Bills should look at Damiere Byrd

19 minutes ago, MiltonWaddams said:

I didn’t realize he was a 4.61 runner. I thought with his long stride he was faster. His college tape showed great separation and strong hands. I will reserve judgement, but last year’s WR crop was excellent, so even a later round guy may end up as a find.

He went so late cuz he no sep-a-rate.    His deal was catching contested passes.    This is another very deep WR draft. 

I could see them going with a scheme fit at the x or z first.......maybe a Tylan Wallace who is nifty enough to maybe be able to run a lot of Diggs designs if he were to go down.

Then after the 4th round intermission picking a fast and quick slot guy who can (ideally) return kicks and hopefully replace some of Beasley's snaps after next season.

Then in round 6, 7 or UDFA looking for a guy like Tamorrion Terry who looks like Randy Moss but is a lot closer to a higher upside Andre Holmes as a player.........and has real skill as a gunner on ST.    Which they might need if Jones or Neal go down or they decide to cut either in camp. 

3 hours ago, Back2Buff said:

When John Brown signed with the Bills, I thought we were getting someone that was going to take the top off the defense, that never really happened.  Brown was more of a intermediate guy.  Byrd is an outside WR that knows how go deep, something that is harder than it looks.

Byrd played with NE last year but actually started his career in Carolina.  He does kick returns, punt returns, and then plays outside WR.

McKenzie is decent, but I never liked the fact that he couldn't line up outside and beat his man one on one for a game changing play.  Byrd can do that, and did do that.

he was the 5th WR. That wasn't his job. He contributed in others ways and was effective

16 minutes ago, nucci said:

he was the 5th WR. That wasn't his job. He contributed in others ways and was effective

I understand that but his limitations kept him off the field when we were healthy.  Sanders moves a lot presnap like McKenzie did. I just think we need outside depth with speed and McKenzie can’t provide that. McKenzie also isn’t a deep threat even though he is quick. We need to expand the field more and create more holes in the defense. 

3 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

Goodwin has popped up in at least 3 threads, which is amazing.  The guy is a bum and was sent packing years ago,  yet he's on the minds of more than one even still!!

Nowhere is legend and myth created so often out of so little than at TBD!!

I guess my sarcasm didn't shine through. 

Christian Wade showed flashes of being an all pro, do you think he makes the roster?

• Eyeroll 1

2 hours ago, White Linen said:

I guess my sarcasm didn't shine through. 

Christian Wade showed flashes of being an all pro, do you think he makes the roster?

I'll think about that and get back to you in the form of a new "Christian Wade" thread

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Buffalo Boy said:

Checking his stats, I’m surprised what he’s done the last two years.

He did Nothing in Carolina and was the butt of more that a few jokes here.

If we could get him cheap, WTH. Give him a look.

Interesting stat is he had 49 touches last year and 3 fumbles.

• Like (+1) 1

23 hours ago, Back2Buff said:

That makes zero sense. It took Byrd a while to get to this point. The Byrd from six years ago isn’t making this team. 

We need another outside WR, preferably one with speed. We also need a returner. McKenzie just can’t play outside which severely limited his usage. Most of the tape you see on Sanders, has him playing more of a slot role.  That’s where he did most damage in last couple of years 

McKenzie can’t do the outside WR job. He is and will never be an outside WR that can stretch the field

Just went back and looked at Emmanuel Sanders highlights from last year. He didn't play slot "most of the time." He played there sometimes. They moved him around and he played everywhere. He played outside, slot, bunch formations, in motion, the only guy on his side playing close to the line, only guy on his side playing farther out ....

They ran him from everywhere.

On 3/20/2021 at 8:36 AM, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

How about bringing back a familiar face for speed Marquise Goodwin.  Believe he's a FA??

I miss him not playing due to injury every year. I agree he can go deep, deep on the bench.

Edited by Starr Almighty

On 3/20/2021 at 8:29 AM, Back2Buff said:

When John Brown signed with the Bills, I thought we were getting someone that was going to take the top off the defense, that never really happened.  Brown was more of a intermediate guy.  Byrd is an outside WR that knows how go deep, something that is harder than it looks.

Byrd played with NE last year but actually started his career in Carolina.  He does kick returns, punt returns, and then plays outside WR.

McKenzie is decent, but I never liked the fact that he couldn't line up outside and beat his man one on one for a game changing play.  Byrd can do that, and did do that.

10395DF9-C01C-4F7E-8EF6-5925FD5AD7FB.jpeg

17 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

Just went back and looked at Emmanuel Sanders highlights from last year. He didn't play slot "most of the time." He played there sometimes. They moved him around and he played everywhere. He played outside, slot, bunch formations, in motion, the only guy on his side playing close to the line, only guy on his side playing farther out ....

They ran him from everywhere.

Just saw this from The Buffalo News' Jay Skurski:

"Jay: Let’s set the record straight here. Sanders is not a slot receiver. Just once in the past five seasons has he lined up for more than 35% of his snaps in a season in the slot. That came in 2018 with Denver – and is the outlier in his career."

https://buffalonews.com/sports/bills/bills-mailbag-why-the-start-of-free-agency-has-been-a-success-even-without-blockbuster/article_f1a54c6c-8989-11eb-8395-4b9c741760eb.html

3 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

Just saw this from The Buffalo News' Jay Skurski:

"Jay: Let’s set the record straight here. Sanders is not a slot receiver. Just once in the past five seasons has he lined up for more than 35% of his snaps in a season in the slot. That came in 2018 with Denver – and is the outlier in his career."

https://buffalonews.com/sports/bills/bills-mailbag-why-the-start-of-free-agency-has-been-a-success-even-without-blockbuster/article_f1a54c6c-8989-11eb-8395-4b9c741760eb.html

Not even sure what the stat means, because Sanders was a big pre-snap movement guy where he wasn't set in no set spot at the line.  He plays a lot like Beasley does in recent years.  He has lost some speed so his outside effectiveness is not what it used to be.

On 3/20/2021 at 8:29 AM, Back2Buff said:

bkMGxmY.gif

On 3/20/2021 at 11:00 AM, Back2Buff said:

I think Hodgins will struggle to make team. This team needs to get faster and he doesn’t help that need. He was a late round pick, very little invested. Probably ends up on PS

Don't be so myopic. Timed speed doesn't exactly correlate with production. Certainly doesn't cause it.

Everyone agrees the Bills could use more speed on offense, but that doesn't mean a guy like Hodgins will struggle to make the team. 

1 hour ago, Back2Buff said:

Not even sure what the stat means, because Sanders was a big pre-snap movement guy where he wasn't set in no set spot at the line.  He plays a lot like Beasley does in recent years.  He has lost some speed so his outside effectiveness is not what it used to be.

The stat means your opinions about where he lines up aren't supported by data. With all due respect.

2 hours ago, Back2Buff said:

Has he maybe lost something from his outside effectiveness? Could be.

But he's still very effective from outside. It's really easy to see, as he had a bunch of nice catches starting from outside.

This guy is a swiss army knife. He can do anything. That's likely why they got him. They can shake things up and be really unpredictable with him. He can go outside, from movement, from the slot, anything, and he's good at all of them.