Who had the Biggest One Year Wonder Season?

Big Turk

When I hear the term "one year wonder" - I always think back to Mark Rypien.

I still believe the 1991 team was possibly the best roster the Bills ever put on the field.

But the Redskins that year (and particularly Rypien) seemed to just have the magic touch.  Nobody could stop them that season.  They destroyed us in the Super Bowl, and then went back to being mediocre.

8 minutes ago, mjt328 said:

When I hear the term "one year wonder" - I always think back to Mark Rypien.

I still believe the 1991 team was possibly the best roster the Bills ever put on the field.

But the Redskins that year (and particularly Rypien) seemed to just have the magic touch.  Nobody could stop them that season.  They destroyed us in the Super Bowl, and then went back to being mediocre.

Rypien had at least one other good season. I thought of him too but his stats say otherwise.

1 hour ago, Rebel101 said:

Uh sucks for RG3 tho. WFT ruined him. 

It was actually the then named Washington Redskins who helped ruin him by letting him play hurt & exacerbate his injury.  He never played for the team called the Washington Football Team. 

4 hours ago, Albany,n.y. said:

For Bills only: 

Going back to the 1970s it has to be Terry Miller, but the most recent was Robert Foster.  Miller was a 1st round pick who fizzled out after a solid rookie year.  Foster was an undrafted free agent so not much was expected of him.  A funny re-draft of the 2018 draft in the off season after 2018 had Foster as one of their 1st rounders in the redraft.  

For the NFL: 

In  1969 Greg Cook was the Bengals 1st rounder (5th overall) and looked to be a franchise QB as a rookie.  He wrecked his arm & didn't play again until 1973.  He played in only 1 game that year & was done forever.  If you never heard of him, here's a good story:  https://thegruelingtruth.com/football/greg-cook-he-could-have-been-the-greatest-ever/

More recently it has to be RGIII. 

Greg Cook might have been a hall of farmer if medicine was the same as now. For me, one hit wonders shouldn’t include guys derailed by injury, but that is just my opinion.

• Like (+1) 1

39 minutes ago, Mcdermott said:

Greg Cook might have been a hall of farmer if medicine was the same as now. For me, one hit wonders shouldn’t include guys derailed by injury, but that is just my opinion.

Don't most of them get derailed by injury??

• Thank you (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

Don't most of them get derailed by injury??

Some of them but again, to me, the connotation “one hit wonder” implies that they weren’t really that good and I think someone derailed by injury isn’t the same as someone who maybe caught lightning in a bottle and could never replicate it.

Thisis not an easy question...too much research.

too many times you can get a journeyman player break out at 28+ ( Fred Jackson) and do well.

youalso have the situation of special teamer being used due to injury and back up about who played more in practice with him developed chemistry.

Thrn you have academy grads who spent 4-6 yrs in military.

12 hours ago, billsbackto81 said:

Maybin was never good enough to be considered a "one hitter". The only wonder he accomplished was being drafted in Rd 1 and being in the NFL as long as he was.

Maybe was a bust and also one of the worst draft picks ever.   When I say worst draft pick, I dont mean because he busted but because conventional wisdom has him rated much lower than where the Bills drafted him.  

He was a no year wonder

44 minutes ago, mattynh said:

Maybe was a bust and also one of the worst draft picks ever.   When I say worst draft pick, I dont mean because he busted but because conventional wisdom has him rated much lower than where the Bills drafted him.  

He was a no year wonder

Maybin led the Jets in sacks in 2011 with 6, then was waived before the end of the 2012 season.  I think he fits quite nicely as a 1 year wonder since all his career sacks were in 2011.

24 minutes ago, Albany,n.y. said:

Maybin led the Jets in sacks in 2011 with 6, then was waived before the end of the 2012 season.  I think he fits quite nicely as a 1 year wonder since all his career sacks were in 2011.

Where is the wonder part?  6 sacks?   They used him only In Obvious passing situations.  

1 hour ago, Chandler#81 said:

Just because most here know more than you doesn’t imply they cheat. What site did you check out?

By the way chandler what happened about the rule that has something to say about no personal attacks. stay on topic? Or did that one just skip you?

16 hours ago, Big Turk said:

I vote Gary Barnidge, TE with the Cleveland Browns...

At age 30 he caught 79 passes for 1043 yards and 9 TDs and made the pro bowl.

Prior to that season, his highest yardage total was 242 yards which was the only season prior with over 156 yards. He had 2 seasons with 0 receiving yards and another with 78 receiving yards.

In fact, before that season, his career totals were 44 catches for 603 yards and 3 TDs in 92 game over 6 seasons.

Yeah he went from Barny Garbidge to Gary Barnidge.   

1 hour ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Yeah he went from Barny Garbidge to Gary Barnidge.   

And for all the non-Amazing Race fans, he and DeAngelo Williams placed 4th this past season. :thumbsup:

They got robbed by 3 suck teams who made an alliance to get rid of them.