Who had the Biggest One Year Wonder Season?

Big Turk

26 minutes ago, BigDingus said:

That was my point. I "wonder" if he played a full season's worth of games. Did the guy even play 16 games total in his entire NFL career?

LOL!!! 48 career games in 4 seasons. 6 total sacks, all in 2011 with the Jets. 

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, billsbackto81 said:

LOL!!! 48 career games in 4 seasons. 6 total sacks, all in 2011 with the Jets. 

Wait, you mean to tell me he not only stayed around for several seasons, but registered 6 total sacks?!

As far as I remembered him, that's overachieving lol

I guess the Jets really will keep anybody around...

5 hours ago, I am the egg man said:

Jerry Crafts

I'm not sure how he qualifies as he was never a full time starter in any season. The most games he started in any season was 7.

24 minutes ago, prissythecat said:

Did Maybin ever have a good year?

No. You can't be a 1 year wonder without even having a good year. He was just a colossal bust.

5 hours ago, BigDingus said:

Aaron Maybin.

I wonder if he played a year's worth of games.

What a waste of a pick.

How is he a 1 year wonder? He never had anything approaching a very good season. He was just a colossal bust.

Really good artist tho...

59 minutes ago, BigDingus said:

Wait, you mean to tell me he not only stayed around for several seasons, but registered 6 total sacks?!

As far as I remembered him, that's overachieving lol

I guess the Jets really will keep anybody around...

Yep...and I clearly remember one was against JP Losman and I believe it was a sack strip if I remember correctly to add insult to injury. That was back when Rex could still coach defense.

12 minutes ago, machine gun kelly said:

No. Neither did Mike Williams our LT.  God I wish I could develop amnesia from that decade as it pertains to the Bills.

Kind of sad when 2 of the best players were a 7th round pick and a UFA. Great drafting track record by this team during those years...

• Haha (+1) 2

30 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

Yep. I’d also toss in Terry Miller. 1000 yard rookie season, then virtually disappeared..😳

1060 yds and 7 TDs in 1978 as a rookie.  Thought he would be next OJ.  Had a bad foot injury in 1979 then done as a player.  Next year Joe Cribbs was drafted.  

• Like (+1) 1

Another Brown gets on the list...Terelle Pryor had a pretty good year as a WR with 77 catches for 1007 yards and then never had more than 252 yards in any season again...

In fact the rest of his career he had 38 catches for 556 yards. 2 of those catches and 17 of those yards came as a Bill in 2018.

• Like (+1) 1

I think Peyton Hillis is the easy answer here. I was trying to come up with Bills, Peerless Price gets an honorable mention. He had another year or two of “some productivity” but his career catch % is 52%. He had one year where he caught 1200 yards in Buffalo and 64% of passes thrown his way. Before that he had never caught moire than 50 % of his passes. 

Derek Anderson's 2007 season in Cleveland where they barely missed the playoffs had him looking like he was gonna be the answer at QB. After that it was low-level backup play the rest of the way. 

• Like (+1) 1

This is a fun topic.

I'll add some:

Scott Mitchell, QB, Detroit Lions, 1995 season. He threw for over 4,000 yards.

Chris Borland, LB, 49ers, 2014 season. He had 100+ tackles that season and then abruptly retired.

John Stephens, RB, Patriots, 1988 season. Gets his one and only Pro Bowl nod and wins ROTY in his first season rushing for nearly 1,200 yards. Plays for a couple more seasons, never eclipses 1k again.

• Like (+1) 2

8 hours ago, Calidiehard said:

Barry Foster

Foster had a couple of other decent seasons. I think we’re looking for a one-and-metaphorically-done sorta guy.

1 hour ago, freddyjj said:

1060 yds and 7 TDs in 1978 as a rookie.  Thought he would be next OJ.  Had a bad foot injury in 1979 then done as a player.  Next year Joe Cribbs was drafted.  

He started every game in his second season and was bad. https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/M/MillTe00.htm

Edited by dave mcbride

8 hours ago, BillsFan619 said:

Would’ve never guessed.

He seemed like he was a bigger name than his actual stats and success point to. Wow also!

It must just be the Ickey Shuffle that made him memorable.

The Bengals were white hot in the 1988 season and the media fawned over their version of the no huddle. Scored a ton of points, went undefeated at home.

They gave the all-powerful 49ers a legitimate battle in the Super Bowl and if it weren't for Jerry Rice's other wordly game, the Bengals probably would have won it. 

• Agree 2