Who had the Biggest One Year Wonder Season?

Big Turk

For Bills only: 

Going back to the 1970s it has to be Terry Miller, but the most recent was Robert Foster.  Miller was a 1st round pick who fizzled out after a solid rookie year.  Foster was an undrafted free agent so not much was expected of him.  A funny re-draft of the 2018 draft in the off season after 2018 had Foster as one of their 1st rounders in the redraft.  

For the NFL: 

In  1969 Greg Cook was the Bengals 1st rounder (5th overall) and looked to be a franchise QB as a rookie.  He wrecked his arm & didn't play again until 1973.  He played in only 1 game that year & was done forever.  If you never heard of him, here's a good story:  https://thegruelingtruth.com/football/greg-cook-he-could-have-been-the-greatest-ever/

More recently it has to be RGIII. 

8 hours ago, GoBills808 said:

Josh Gordon for me

I still think he was legit good. Just his own worst enemy. 

9 hours ago, Franchiseneedsme said:

Robert Griffen

In fairness, Washington destroyed him that year. I think if he was coming into the nfl in a good situation, he could be really successful. He was awesome that year until he blew out his knee.

13 minutes ago, PrimeTime101 said:

heres a questions, How many here went to a website to find a name?

I went to find the stats, I already had Gary Barnidge in mind...actually someone mentioned his name recently and that is the inspiration for this thread...

• Like (+1) 1

59 minutes ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

Seemed like Bryce Paup had a much better than expected season with the Bills.  Maybe even over a 2 year span was amazing.  Think the Bills got more from him than they ever expected when they signed him.

This is the first name I thought of when I opened the topic. But, he doesn't really qualify because overall he had a decent career. But, as you point out, his first season with the Bills was much better than could have been expected and better than the rest of his career, 17.5 sacks, 1st team all pro.

For Buffalo.  Not quite a one year wonder, but I remember in 99 and 2000 when Linebacker Sam Cowart was seen as one of the best young linebackers in the league.  He had a devastating ACL injury and was never anywhere near the same after.  

Otherwise, Ickey Woods, Derek Anderson and Peyton Hillis stand out the most.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, dave mcbride said:

Foster had a couple of other decent seasons. I think we’re looking for a one-and-metaphorically-done sorta guy.

He started every game in his second season and was bad. https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/M/MillTe00.htm

Foster had 1 monster year with 1690 rushing yards and over 2000 rush/receive. After that he never played more than 11 games and no more than 850 rushing yards. This at a time when teams like the Steelers were power running teams. This is what I would call a 1 year wonder. 

2 hours ago, RShirley said:

Who was that outside backer that Nix signed from New England coming off of a 10 plus sack season. I think he might have played one game for the Bills, got hurt and was never heard from again. 

Mark Anderson. Great rookie year, then nothing till NE (of course). 

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/A/AndeMa21.htm

Also, how about Mike Furrey. One good season with Detroit in 2006, ok 2007, and nothing 

Steven Ridley comes to mind as well.

Robert Edwards, although that was injury.

Edited by billsfan5121

CJ Spiller would probably need to be here also...had that one year he averaged over 6 YPC and was literally unstoppable in both the run and pass game as well as in the return game and then basically sucked.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 1